My take on the Tama Speedcobra.....

Bonzobilly

So, I've been using an old pdp double for a while ( not sure of the model?). It's not mine and I needed to get it back to its owner so lucky me, I get to buy a new pedal! I've been reading many posts about brands but ultimately figured I'd go and get my feet on as many as I could. I've always played chains but was interested in what direct drive would be like. I figured I'd just go to the store and blind test myself, take the one I liked home and to get it on my kit. I figured, I can always take it back to exchange for a new one. So, I had the guy at GC lead me around the store like Stevie Wonder! He was very accommodating! I went home with the Speedcobra. Without over thinking, it felt the best to my foot in the store against those beater boards they have set up. I realize that though I liked the feel of it, I wanted to make sure it retained some feel under foot so I pretty much maxed out the tension of the springs. I left the cobra coil at its stock medium setting. Got the beaters about 5-6 inches from the batter head. My first impression is that it was so smooth that I was screwing up simple triplets. But after some adjusting it started feeling good. It's amazing how the longboards affect the play. Up top allows so much ability for speed. More so than I'm able to apply, unfortunately. If you move back down, the power is incredible. I mean, my kick is well dug into my carpet but my drum started creeping. I had to spike it down further! I'm not used to thinking about where my foot is on the board so it's going to take some adjusting. If I ultimately enjoy this type of play, it'll be a keeper. Also, some have mentioned how it looks cheap? It is built well. Very well. I do think there should be some Velcro on the slave pedal but whatever. I bought some. I also thought the beaters may have to go because to me they looked wimpy. That thought was altered as I almost kicked my bass drum off my riser! Most of all this experience is showing me first hand that no pedal will make you play better, but the right pedal will expose both your strengths and weaknesses. If anyone else has experience with the Speedcobra and wants to share it with me, I'd love to hear it!

I've been playing the Speedcobra double pedal for about a year and a half now, and I gotta say I really love it. I do agree with you that it is a little odd at first, but once you get used to it's particular feel, you'll be set. I'm at the point now where if I use a 'normal' length pedal, I find it hard to do what I can with my Speedcobra; probably not a good thing!

I have my spring tension close to being maxed, and I have the cobra coils brought back to the "high" setting, although this is done to counteract my ported reso, and medium-tensioned batter head. This way I still get a good rebound!

And I do love how smooth these pedals are. I've played a few direct drive pedals, and in comparison, I'll say that I prefer the feel of the Speedcobra. Mind you, this is probably because of how familiar I am with it, but that being said,even after messing around with some direct drive settings, I still prefer the feel of a chain-driven pedal.

Cheers, and enjoy your Speedcobra!

They are great pedals. I had been playing mine for a couple of years before I switched to a jojo pedal.

For me the experience of the pedal was as advertised. Speed and power. More specifically speed and power when playing heel up. With this pedal I could roll off doubles and triplets with ease and volume. The only problem was I got too dependent on it and when I tried playing a normal length pedal I could not play with as much ease. Also playing heel down was difficult for me due to the length of the board.

With the jojo pedal I'm having to recalibrate my playing more and use more ankle and less leg.

**fun fact** you can totally put a Gibralter strap on the Speed Cobra.
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D16Xdk5qnXg

Well, I couldn't help myself and figured if I didn't go for it now I never would. Took back the Tama and picked up a trick detanator pro 1v Bigfoot.

I had a Speed Cobra for about 4 months, and I traded it in.

I had the iron cobra's jr. and sr. models and really liked them, and at first I really loved the Speed Cobra but, after long bouts of playing symphonic metal (3hr. rehearsals), the foot-board got to me. I tried every adjustment possible, but could not get the right amount of speed or comfort that I got from the iron cobra's.

Then, on a whim, I tried the Yamaha 9315's (like Flying Dragons) at Samash and I was sold: clean plate is good for sliding your foot, amazing springs, bearings and housing and reinforcement (I'm a stomper). I could play that much faster, more powerful with zero fatigue. So, I got the 9315's and put the iron cobra wood beaters on them, and all I can say is wow. There is one negative with the Yamaha's and that is the drive shaft - there's about a 1/4 of give. You get used to it, but then I read about the Trick 5.0 Drive Shaft for Tama, peral, yamaha and etc. I ordered it and should get it tomorrow. It should make a great double pedal that much better.

For anyone with a Speed Cobra with buyer's remorse I recommend trying the Yamaha - even the new one.

when i tried the speed cobra i could not get the pedal to feel right to my feet. It felt too heavy to me with the longer board and the recessed chain design. I took it back to GC. The Iron cobra's felt better imo.

Why'd you buy Speed Cobras when you had the A21s, ricohorton?

Why'd you buy Speed Cobras when you had the A21s, ricohorton?
A21 is my main pedal still use them. i like allot of pedals just was not pleased with the SC performance. i like iron cobra's and eliminator's, dw9000. have not played with the demon drives bc have seen too many drummers post problems with pedal.

when i tried the speed cobra i could not get the pedal to feel right to my feet. It felt too heavy to me with the longer board and the recessed chain design. I took it back to GC. The Iron cobra's felt better imo.

I honestly think I made a mistake trying/buying these Tama pedals at all. Honestly the action of them is incredible and I mean INCREDIBLE and about as smooth as you can get and the extra power you get from the IC PG's is great as I like to dig in when I play. Though honestly I just can not get a feel for these larger than normal footboards. I don't like the action of the footboard, I do NOT like how heavy they are and it just doesn't fit in what I'm looking for in feel. Yes I can pull off double strokes and even triplets when I really focus and get the feel of it but after putting my DW3000 back on my bass drum after having not played it in many months I found I was able to do doubles, triplets and even heel toe far better than I can on these IC PG's.

What's funny is I would whine (to myself lol) about how I couldn't heel toe correctly on the smaller DW3000 footboard and after so long of not playing them I go back to them and I'm THAT much better with it. Though because of the very very smooth action of the IC and power of it I put the IC back on..... for now.

Like was mentioned in other threads I absolute hate hate hate hate HATE DW's rocker bearing on the DW3000 and I believe the 5000 as well has it! What a cheap ass design and is really uncalled for when you're paying what you do for the DW3000DBL and especially 5000DBL!!

True it's only a $6 part or what ever but damn it wore out quick and I also feel there is quite a bit of friction going on there that could be removed with a better design such as Tama's. Guess I'll just shop around some more and chalk it up to another lesson learned.

Anybody use kevlar straps on the Speed Cobras yet?

Yeah, I just got a couple on my Speedcobra yesterday!
All I can say is that I prefer the feel of the strap-drive over that of a chain-drive. To me, the pedal feels less sluggish and significantly more responsive. That being said, I loved the normal Speedcobra, but with the straps on there... wow. It was an instant improvement, to my feet.

Definitely try it out if you get the chance.

Back