My Next Drum Investment (Hardware Advice)

andSometimesY

I am ready to invest money in my drum set-up again and the next logical step seems to be hardware. I want to get rid of all the single-cymbal stands and fit a lot of stuff in to a smaller space. First of all, I want to get the rack toms off of my bass drum. Secondly, in addition to hi-hats and a ride, I want to have room for 3 crashes, a splash, a china, and one more auxiliary cymbal (probably just a zil-bell).

To get the rack toms off of my bass drum, I am thinking about two DW9000-series double-tom stands (one for each tom). The other arm of each would be free for cymbal mounting. I would then require some attachments (dog bones?, boom arms?) to attach the needed cymbals to the stands.

I have never been too knowledgeable about hardware so I would like to inquire of the minds more knowledgeable than mine here at DrummerWorld regarding it.What would be the best way to make a neat cymbal/tom set-up that leaves a small footprint? How much money should I spend (should I always go for the 9000 vs. the 3000 for example) I would just like to know what you guys think.

Thanks

In most cases (and I'm' guilty of this) double braced stands are overkill especially for one tom and one cymbal. I've got a 10" tom 18"crash and an 8" splash mounted off a yamaha single braced stand and have had no issues. You start lugging around double brace hardware and it gets really heavy, really quick!

if you're a gigging drummer things to keep in mind is the weight! if you're going to be lugging around LOTS of stands and they are heavy duty stands it will get very heavy. i personally like to stay away from booming my stands - this is because when i setup i don't have to get the angle right on the boom and stuff. much easier to just have it straight up. and if you have them straight i think thats a very simplistic way of keeping everything neat.

I use Pearl 900 series hardware on two of my kits. The BC-900 can either be a boom or a straight stand. They are a little heavy but well worth it.

I use Pearl 900 series hardware on two of my kits. The BC-900 can either be a boom or a straight stand. They are a little heavy but well worth it.

I second the Pearl 900 stuff. Nice and sturdy, heavy enough to handle what you want, yet way lighter than the DW stuff (I was using DW5000 stuff). I think these Pearls are the only double-braced stands I don't mind having to move around!

Thanks for the advice guys, I had almost forgotten that I created this thread! I think I'm going to check out those Pearl 900s before I decide on something. They at least seem to be a lot less pricey. Also, I forgot to mention that my kit is a Tama Starclassic Performer and I'll have to make sure the hardware that I get (if not Tama) will fit my toms. Again, thank you to everyone who replied.

P.S. I love that Renown, Gruntersdad

Thanks for the advice guys, I had almost forgotten that I created this thread! I think I'm going to check out those Pearl 900s before I decide on something. They at least seem to be a lot less pricey. Also, I forgot to mention that my kit is a Tama Starclassic Performer and I'll have to make sure the hardware that I get (if not Tama) will fit my toms. Again, thank you to everyone who replied.

P.S. I love that Renown, Gruntersdad

I don't believe DW toms stands will fit Tama. Tama is ~10mm and DW is ~13mm iirc. I have a setup similar to what you want (2up/1dn kit, 3 crashes, 1 splash, 1 china, hh & ride). I have two Tama cymbal/tom stands for the rack toms and two of the crashes. Splash is on a Tama tbone/boom-arm attached to a cymbal/tom stand. Everything else (ride crash china & hh) is on it's own stand; I could probably optimize further but don't care atm.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....bination-Tom-Drum-and-Cymbal-Stand?sku=449234

DW stands won't fit Tama L-Rods, but PDP stands (essentially the same stands) will - they have 10.5mm L-rods, just like Tama. Also check out Gibraltar, they offer many affordable options for stands at all price and weight levels.

I second the Pearl 900 stuff. Nice and sturdy, heavy enough to handle what you want, yet way lighter than the DW stuff (I was using DW5000 stuff). I think these Pearls are the only double-braced stands I don't mind having to move around!

Good to know, Bo, thanks! I have a 900 snare stand that I'm not really using and love the quality of it. I'm lugging DW 9000 and 5000 hardware around, and it's a total drag. I'm looking to replace all of my stuff.

Back