collector's and more

you ...

l1040906it7.jpg

... can touch this. :)

Hi Macmarkus

Really amazing kit -and cymbals-, the finish is the one for me -just see my avatar-.

Could you describe the differences in sound between the collector´s snare and the solid shell snare?. I've never tried the solid snare.

If i´m looking for a snare with a good low tone, what would you recommend me?

Thank you in advance

Best regards
Gustavo

Last edited:
It's not fair that one drummer should have ALL these cymbals! You must send some to us less fortunate drummers...P L E E E E E E A S E?

P.S. I'm willing to fight anyone for the K Con Ride and a K China. Anyone?
i will battle for the ride

snare

Could you describe the differences in sound between the collector´s snare and the solid shell snare?. I've never tried the solid snare.

hola, gustavo!

thanks for your comment ... nice to read. :) now it's a little difficult for me to explain (in my broken english; sorry for that), what the difference between the craviotto solid and the all maple shell is. i'll try my best, and don't forget: it's just my opinion.

the 14x5 all maple is very easy to handle. best sounding tune for me is the really dark "dong" (very bruford-like), a full and woody sound without too much ringing overtones. for example listen to billy ward and shawn pelton in the video section.
in higher tension the snare drum is more "metalish", and it "cracks" really hard. resonance is shorter; it's more like the sound you can hear from mike clark.

the solid shell from my 14"x5,5 dw craviotto is a little clearer in sound and has more resonance (there's not so much glue in it ;-)). tuning range is great, from cracking high to ballad low. but really, the difference to the all maple is not too big for my old ears (maybe the "better" sound is a "placebo" effect, but look at the price difference). i think this one s one of the most recorded dw snares ... listen to keltner and co.

the 13x5,5 dw solid snare (shell is made and stamped by craviotto) ounds best in high pitched tensions. i use it as a left side auxiliary snare, although she's good enough for main work. if you want to hear this one look for chad wackerman and julio figueroa (on dw's home page).

If i´m looking for a snare with a good low tone, what would you recommend me?

for a good low tone and a good price try an all maple 14x6 (look for a 6 plus 6; it's deeper than a 10+6), but the best of both worlds could be a 14x5. it's called "the workhorse".

hope you understand what i meant ... best wishes to spain and a happy new year,
markus

Hi Macmarkus,

Thank you very much, you were too kind to answer me with such sincere clearity. Don't worry, your English is quite good, at least better than mine!!!!.

Your comments about the solid shell are the most clear i've ever read. I've understood very well, and appreciate your experience on DW snares.

I think the very different with the solid may be on studio. I suppose so. I think for that price i would get an Edge, which is a very unique snare. For a wood snare, will try first the VLT, or the X-Shell snare -for a lower woody sound-. Both has very good reviews.

I´m planning to get my DW kit this year, perhaps with four toms. Of course in natural satin oil. By the moment i'm playing a kit from my close friend Alvaro (you can see the kit at the link below, post 188) with my K zildjians from 1988.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

Thank you very much again and Happy new year too.

(Your Zildjian collection is absolutely amazing!!!!!!)

Best regards from Spain
Gustavo

hola, gus,

thanks for your kind words. alvaro's kit looks fantastic. i think yours will be fine, too. :)
and you're right; an edge is very unique; mine (14x5, exotic quilted maple) was too loud for me, so i exchanged it with the craviotto.

here's a poor pic (taken with my first digicam, an apple quicktake 150):

edgehl0.jpg

by the way, in 2003 there was no option of vlt, x-shell or so when i ordered my set; but i would take the same configuration like mine again. i like the matching and equal look of all shells of a kit. ;-)

best regards and don't be sad that betis lost vs. almeria ... next time they will win. :)
i'm a huge fan of looking primera division.

markus

Hi Markus,

Thank you for animate me with Betis. Don't worry, I think we was born to lose, but losing with good humour ;-)). Which are your team?.

Dind´t know that you own and Edge too!!. Really your snare collection is for Champion's League!!!.

I love Edge snare, but seems to me a little difficult to tune it. When i played it for the fist time was a wild horse. But with time and patience, we started to control it, and now has a pretty good sound, but i feel my ideal sound is a wood snare.

I don´t think VLT has better sound that Collector's. Just different. I haven´t still tried X-Shells, so i can't say a thing but read good review at http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/the-best-drum-gear-of-2008-187034. Perhaps VLT gives a more open (live show) sound, but Collector's more focused and defined (for studio recording?). To me is difficult to choose just one.

If you want to hear VLT snare without re-inforcement hoops (Neil Peart's snare) here´s the link for some samples, just search post 47 and 50:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=216623&page=4&pp=12

If you have to choose one floor tom, which would be your choice 14" or 16"?.

Thanks for answering.

Gustavo

Which are your team?
in germany borussia dortmund.
in spain barca ... i like their jerseys. :))

Dind´t know that you own and Edge too!
owned. i changed it with the craviotto.

but i feel my ideal sound is a wood snare.
yes ... mine too.

Collector's ... X-Shells ... VLT ... To me is difficult to choose just one.
you're right. the mindmaster himself, john good, says (i read in "md") that a nice combination is: 8 (x) 10, 12, 14, 16 (vlt) and 22 (x).
for me as just a hobby player generally a dw is too good. :)

If you have to choose one floor tom, which would be your choice 14" or 16"?
definitely 16" ... in 14" or 13" depth.

Thanks for answering.
you're welcome. ;-)

Thanks a lot Markus,

I will tell you the progress of my drums choice. When i try the x-shell i will decide my kit. Maybe at last i finally purchase the collector´s. Who knows!

Barca is in a amazing moment of playing. They´re playing really good and are shocking everybody!. Let´s enjoy them.

Good luck and take care with that cold winter!

Gustavo

thanks to gary and adam gauger ... very nice stuff.
my 16" tom is happy. and me too.

l1050329.jpg

Last edited:
if i get an package, this
l1070141.jpg
is my favourite sender.

and here was the content ...

img0094v.jpg

... stainless steel in 6.5 x 13".

Last edited:
I've spent literally hundreds of hours browsing this section, staring at all the amazing kits that everyone has.

As a broke teenager living on his own working a full time job @ minimum wage just to get by, I get jealous fairly easily with everyones setups.

This, however, is the absolute most perfect kit/cymbals I have ever seen. I've seriously come back to this thread about 10 times now, and have shown several of my friends. I've always wanted a DW Kit, and HHX Cymbals are literally my dream cymbals, you have everything that I could ever want in a drum kit.

You better play them daily, or I'm gonna be pissed.

Back