3.0mm hoops anyone?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I was shopping at drumfactorydirect.com and saw that they also sell a 3.00mm hoop (about 1/3rd thicker than regular 2.3mm hoops). I'm fixing up a 10x14 Ludwig marching snare (8-lug with P-85 strainer, looks like 3-ply with re-rings) and was wondering if anyone here has tried these thicker hoops. Other than weight, does it make a huge difference? Would it be like using diecast hoops? Or is there something different about them?

I'd like to keep the drum as resonant as possible, but since I'll be wearing it and mobile, I'd like it to be a bit robust, but not sure if the extra weight and thickness would be worth the price of admission.

Thoughts?

I looked at them but didn't try them. I am happy with 2.3mm hoops that I added to both of my Ludwig kits.
3.0mm hoops are supposed to be close to die cast in sound and feel for much less cost.
A flanged hoop will never be as dead as a cast hoop. Thats just the nature of hoop construction.
A flanged hoop will ring more.

Going from 1.6mm to 2.3mm hoops made a difference in my Club Date and my Keystone kits. It mellowed out the drums a bit. A very minor change from the 1.6mm.
I used the Slungerland Stick Saver replica 2.3mm flanged hoops on my Club Date SE kit. Just for something a little different.

Last edited:
I have used 1.6mm (batter hoop pulled over head collar) as well as 2.3mm & wooden hoops with out any issues. I don't see a need for 3.0mm hoops on a marching snare unless you tune your snare to those (in my opinion) crazy high formica tabletop tunings I don't think there is any advantage / disadvantage with 3.0mm hoops. If you're going for higher tensions I would go die-cast or s-hoop.

I have used 1.6mm (batter hoop pulled over head collar) as well as 2.3mm & wooden hoops with out any issues. I don't see a need for 3.0mm hoops on a marching snare unless you tune your snare to those (in my opinion) crazy high formica tabletop tunings I don't think there is any advantage / disadvantage with 3.0mm hoops. If you're going for higher tensions I would go die-cast or s-hoop.

Oh no high tensions here. This will be my strolling/grooving snare. I'm probably gonna try them just because my concern is how it holds up while I'm schlepping it around un-cased.

Oh no high tensions here. This will be my strolling/grooving snare. I'm probably gonna try them just because my concern is how it holds up while I'm schlepping it around un-cased.

Glad to hear that. The 2.3mm hoops should be absolutely fine for those purposes.

My 2 shekels..The fact that it is such a deep snare drum may warrant the hoops. Bigger drum, bigger hoops sounds right, right? And like Bob said, they should retain their openness more than a die cast. Nothing wrong with a stiff hoop either, in case you want to crank er up.

Glad to hear that. The 2.3mm hoops should be absolutely fine for those purposes.

I hope so, if I don't need to upgrade, I won't. But I recall when I had one of those 6x13 Tama Artwood snares, I accidentally dropped it and it really bent up that 1.6mm hoop. I haven't dropped a drum with a 2.3mm hoop. But I suppose I'm wanting to keep that openness of the drum but make it a bit more rigid, as Larry suggests. If I stumble across another $50 I'll get a pair and try them out.

Back