Solo in the Style of Roy Haynes

D

dmacc_2

Should you decide to waste a perfectly good 1:38 to watch, here’s a solo from a book that was published by one of my former teachers who I drastically would love to get back with.

The book is a collection of original solos that pays homage to certain jazz drummers, this one is Roy Haynes. The solos look easy to play but are difficult to execute.

As always, the sound isn’t great since I’m using a regular Canon Camcorder.

http://youtu.be/H6Rq3tv4Q7o

More book info on the posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah smooth as butter David. Love watching your technique. Really nice sound for a camcorder Were you reading that whole thing.? I saw the music stand and it looked like you were looking that way a lot of the time. You really make the kit sound pleasing.

Ah smooth as butter David. Love watching your technique. Really nice sound for a camcorder Were you reading that whole thing.? I saw the music stand and it looked like you were looking that way a lot of the time. You really make the kit sound pleasing.

Thank you Larry. Yes, I was reading the whole solo which runs from :09 - 1:23. The short timekeeping up front and on the end were just me playing.

I wish I could memorize but I'm so terrible at it. A major learning deficiency that has plagued me for life.

Wonderful stuff David! I wish I had your technique & flow :(

Thank Andy. You tear it up, and what you play with your band is truly light years beyond what I'm capable of in the same setting. I mean that sincerely.

I have a similar looking Bosphorus ride, not to mention the same Gretsch Catalina kit!

Since I haven't been playing much bebop or swing lately, I can't comment much other than nice playing! It also is nice to put a face to user "dmacc". I was expecting to see an old man similar to your avatar, but oh well :)

Nice playing!

Steph
(I don't play the Catalina kit other than a quick gig or two. I primarily play my Pearl Reference 5 piece.)

I have a similar looking Bosphorus ride, not to mention the same Gretsch Catalina kit!

Since I haven't been playing much bebop or swing lately, I can't comment much other than nice playing! It also is nice to put a face to user "dmacc". I was expecting to see an old man similar to your avatar, but oh well :)

Nice playing!

Steph
(I don't play the Catalina kit other than a quick gig or two. I primarily play my Pearl Reference 5 piece.)

Thank you for watching and responding!

Bosphorus makes wonderful cymbals as you know obviously from experience. I love their Masters ride, among others. The drums are actually USA Customs.

Sometimes I feel like an old man like the picture of Philly Joe Jones in my avatar. :)

Thank you for watching and responding!

Bosphorus makes wonderful cymbals as you know obviously from experience. I love their Masters ride, among others. The drums are actually USA Customs.

Sometimes I feel like an old man like the picture of Philly Joe Jones in my avatar. :)

Are you sure?? I was so sure because the rim mounts look identical to my Catalina kit. Oh well. I'm sure we share the same taste, both in drums as well as music LOL :)

--

D. My mother*****r. You know how I feel about your playing, and this is no exception. Just beautiful, man.

i saw this when it was first posted but it was locked before i had a chance to comment on it, good to see it back up because this is some seriously good stuff, as expected of dmacc, what a swinging solo! i also love the sound of that bospho ride.

This is very cool. Makes me want to check that book that I had never heard of. Beautiful cymbal sound as well. Congrats!

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!!

Great solo, man!

I think I need to check out that book. I actually have his other one with a Sid Catlett etude, Max, Art, Elvin, Tony, and a few others. I really need to dig that out...

Oh that was fab, I loved it - especially the bit on the snare and hi-hat at about 1:05. Beautiful ripply sound.

D. My mother*****r. You know how I feel about your playing, and this is no exception. Just beautiful, man.

8 - Thank you so much! I really truly appreciate the kind words.

i saw this when it was first posted but it was locked before i had a chance to comment on it, good to see it back up because this is some seriously good stuff, as expected of dmacc, what a swinging solo! i also love the sound of that bospho ride.

Thanks William! I took it down originally because something squirrelly happened to the link on YT. Had to correct it. It was up for such a short time I really didn’t know if anyone had a chance to check it out. That Bosp. Ride on my right is so thin it’s incredible. Like the Agops, those are a joy to play.

This is very cool. Makes me want to check that book that I had never heard of. Beautiful cymbal sound as well. Congrats!

Thanks for watching! Again, those particular Bosphorus cymbals are relatively new and are pretty thin for their line which makes them perfect for playing this style of music.

The book is a great one and I’m just now making my way through it. Just glancing at the solos, they appear to the eye as not too difficult since there’s not a gazillion notes. Though, once you try to play them, there are spots in each of them that make them incredibly challenging – at least to me.

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!!

Great solo, man!

I think I need to check out that book. I actually have his other one with a Sid Catlett etude, Max, Art, Elvin, Tony, and a few others. I really need to dig that out...

Thanks Brady! Yes, I actually went through the book you are referring to with him. I continue to work on the Tony solo at various periods. I don’t have the left foot speed demanded in that one. Very hard for me to do. This new one of his is a gem as well. To me it's more difficult than the first book.

Oh that was fab, I loved it - especially the bit on the snare and hi-hat at about 1:05. Beautiful ripply sound.

Thank you for watching and the comments. That part is all true Roy Haynes. He had a unique and amazing way of using the hi-hats.

David, it sounded good to my untrained ears ... strong flow, chops and tone production as always.

Thanks Grea! I always appreciate you still taking the time to watch and provide feedback.

Dmacc,

Great stuff, wonderful technique, I only wish I could play that smoothly while reading. What is the name of the book and who is the author / teacher?

Thanks Brady! Yes, I actually went through the book you are referring to with him. I continue to work on the Tony solo at various periods. I don’t have the left foot speed demanded in that one. Very hard for me to do. This new one of his is a gem as well. To me it's more difficult than the first book.

You actually studied the first book with him? Is there a particular approach that he had to learning to solos other than just breaking them down a piece at a time?

Anything you can share regarding his teaching would be great.

Dmacc,

Great stuff, wonderful technique, I only wish I could play that smoothly while reading. What is the name of the book and who is the author / teacher?

Thanks camcoman! The name of the book is: Modern Jazz Solos For Drum Set, by Rich Thompson. A gifted teacher and equally amazing player. Out of pure respect for him, I hate to associate my name with his as I’m much less the player than the normal quality of students he produces.

You actually studied the first book with him? Is there a particular approach that he had to learning to solos other than just breaking them down a piece at a time?

Anything you can share regarding his teaching would be great.

Yes, I studied with him at the ESM only for about 2 years though. Many major life changes started at that point (basically with the aging and eventually passing of my parents) which demanded all of my time outside of work thereby eliminating any available practice time.

He’s an amazing player and teacher. The things he taught me then I still hold and work on today. Breaking them down to get the technical aspect together, but then really honing in on the feel and trying to make it all effortless. Much deeper than a reading exercise.

7Yes, I studied with him at the ESM only for about 2 years though. Many major life changes started at that point (basically with the aging and eventually passing of my parents) which demanded all of my time outside of work thereby eliminating any available practice time.

He’s an amazing player and teacher. The things he taught me then I still hold and work on today. Breaking them down to get the technical aspect together, but then really honing in on the feel and trying to make it all effortless. Much deeper than a reading exercise.

Sorry to hear that. I feel for you.

That's basically what I have wanted to do with the solos in the book. Internalize them and make them into something of my own.

Back