A little creative challenge for everyone - test yourself!

D

DamoSyzygy

I had this question put on me last week, and thought about NAMM recently and all the new products that are brought out each year, all trying to make their mark in the drumming community. I thought this would be a very interesting debate topic to get opinions on!

Lets step into the shoes of a manufacturer looking to market their product

Heres the hypothetical situation.

You are a drum builder. You're going to start building your own entry level kit to sell off to the Mums and Dads for first time buyers/players.

Statistically, if you want to secure a strong presence in the scene when you first start to build, you need to 'target' your audience.

Things that may help you.

- Some of the strongest brand names ever created have been short (usually 5 letters or less)
- Some of the biggest brands had a connection to their market (in our case, noob drummers/kids)
- The name often has a story or relevance behind it
- The potential logo could be as powerful/or more powerful than the name itself.

Given what we know, listed above, I pose the question to you:

What do you name your kit and why?

My choice was 'Thumpz' drums. Its simple to remember, its cool because it uses a Z instead of an S (remember, this is kids we're marketing to) and it has relevance to drums, obviously as a sonic description of how they sound.

"Cool" Drums.

1. Because everyone wants to be cool.

"Black Death" drum company.

It will captialize on the trend in metal music, specializing in metal kits.

I would have a tie-in promotional with Macdonald's for a month and they could serve "Dimmu burgers."

"You can have any finish you want, just as long as it's black."

I would have a tie-in promotional with Macdonald's for a month and they could serve "Dimmu burgers."
Haha oh man thats gold!!!

Id personally be worried that parents may be swinging their kids away from kits named after the Bubonic Plague though!

Black Death is a sure winner.

Only black kits, maybe with black leather casings for some of the black hardware ( tom mounts, cymbal stands ).. now that's a killer look! ( no pun intended)

Every kid's going to want this, guaranteed, despite the parent protest.

Black Death is a sure winner.

Only black kits, maybe with black leather casings for some of the black hardware ( tom mounts, cymbal stands ).. now that's a killer look! ( no pun intended)

Every kid's going to want this, guaranteed, despite the parent protest.

Yeah, I see proliferation of the stuff. Someone should capitalize on it.

Black hardware, black drums (gloss or matte), death related logos, black Paiste cymbals, Evans onyx or Remo black suede heads, black sticks, and of course, a black coffin-shaped stick case. Ego-maniac spiked lugs. Black risers with black lights under them (so you see the effect of the light but not the fixture like a low rider).

I bet someone could sell thousands of kits just tapping into this genre with something better than export Joey drums or tama rockstars.

Parents can have their choice of beers while they wait: Carling black label or Louisiana blackened voodoo beer.

squier drum set blk.jpg

YOU GET THE IDEA.................................................

I think something catchy name for a drum co. and especially for the kids would be ZooM drums. all kids want to go as fast as they can when they sit on a kit for the first time. Also it has the word zoo in it, all kids love going to the zoo and it has the word moo in it, all kids love milk..well almost all.
I think the kids can relate to a name like this, they will identify with the mazda commercial. you know how the song goes, my littly nephew would dance and sing a storm everytime that commercial came on, it wasn't known as the mazda commercial it was known as zoom zoom.
Finally, its an easy word to say for them, my nephew was saying from like 9 months old.

It's not a Yamaha kit. Take a closer look...

I know it's not...however the question remains, the tom holders are yamaha style. It would not surprise me if Yamaha had some form of low-cost off-brand like other companies have. Oh wait! They do! They are called "Rogers!"

It's likely something else from China.

Last edited:
Even for a low end kit I would use my copyrighted name of Cylinders of Sound. The different models would then have other names such as Deep Domain, Just Jazz etc.

I think something catchy name for a drum co. and especially for the kids would be ZooM drums. all kids want to go as fast as they can when they sit on a kit for the first time. Also it has the word zoo in it, all kids love going to the zoo and it has the word moo in it, all kids love milk..well almost all.
I think the kids can relate to a name like this, they will identify with the mazda commercial. you know how the song goes, my littly nephew would dance and sing a storm everytime that commercial came on, it wasn't known as the mazda commercial it was known as zoom zoom.
Finally, its an easy word to say for them, my nephew was saying from like 9 months old.
A nice thought, but Zoom are already a signifcant brand in the music industry.

I know it's not...however the question remains, the tom holders are yamaha style. It would not surprise me if Yamaha had some form of low-cost off-brand like other companies have. Oh wait! They do! They are called "Rogers!"

It's likely something else from China.

Squier is the name of Fender Guitars' budget brand. A few years ago they'd started selling these entry-level drums. No idea if they still do.

1) FRock - 'cause it's for rock!
2) Can-Cans

Man, I've got a theme going here. They would, of course, come with a set of Dum-Bells cymbals.

Brit drums. No, too likely to fail in other countries...Play drums? Nice little pun there. Maybe a bit tacky. Crazy drums. THAT'S IT!

Transverse Drums

Here's the definition:
A transverse wave is a moving wave that consists of oscillations occurring perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer. If a transverse wave is moving in the positive x-direction, its oscillations are in up and down directions that lie in the yz-plane.

Also, if you need a Graphic Designer, I would be happy to help you. PM me and we can talk details.

im sorry but in what world do people think putting a "z" instead of an "s" is "cool", unless you'r 10 years old but i suppose thats who you are marketing to

Back