Drumming cartoons

Stan, glad you like your toon. I now remember that you're into astronomy but I'd forgotten about it when making the picture - that was sheer dumb luck :)

Andy ... DMC's checkin - lol. Maybe DMC's kit being displayed in the Louvre? I have another idea for Wy ...

No, it can't be Thaard in that pic - the Adam's Apple isn't prominent enough. Thaard, do have a really-really deep voice by any chance? Do you sing like Isaac Hayes? :)

Stan, glad you like your toon. I now remember that you're into astronomy but I'd forgotten about it when making the picture - that was sheer dumb luck :)

Andy ... DMC's checkin - lol. Maybe DMC's kit being displayed in the Louvre? I have another idea for Wy ...

No, it can't be Thaard in that pic - the Adam's Apple isn't prominent enough. Thaard, do have a really-really deep voice by any chance? Do you sing like Isaac Hayes? :)

I have a deep voice, but I'm more of a baritone. I can sing bass though, but I mostly sing in the shower or when people cant hear me :p.

I have a deep voice, but I'm more of a baritone. I can sing bass though, but I mostly sing in the shower or when people cant hear me :p.

I knew it :) It's the long larynx ... You were going to do a vocal track on SNA but chickened out!

To be fair, I understand. My voice is something I only inflict on people when I'm feeling especially annoying or delusional ... although tons of reverb and delay hides a lot of sins :)

I knew it :) It's the long larynx ... You were going to do a vocal track on SNA but chickened out!

To be fair, I understand. My voice is something I only inflict on people when I'm feeling especially annoying or delusional ... although tons of reverb and delay hides a lot of sins :)

Hehe, it wasnt that bad. To me, you sounded like one of those experimental jazz-vocalists. My band is writing a new tune called Equations and theories, where everyone in the band has to sing. The lyrics themselves will be about physics and maths, since our guitarist is pretty keen on it. Probably turn out awful :p

My band is writing a new tune called Equations and theories, where everyone in the band has to sing. The lyrics themselves will be about physics and maths, since our guitarist is pretty keen on it. Probably turn out awful :p
Thaard, you're a great player, your bandmates are probably great players, but a song about maths?? You're a bunch of young guys, normally writing about sex, or sex, or sex, or maybe beer, cars, or even sex. Why not go for something really exciting like accountancy or statistics (eh Pol?).

Thaard, you're a great player, your bandmates are probably great players, but a song about maths?? You're a bunch of young guys, normally writing about sex, or sex, or sex, or maybe beer, cars, or even sex. Why not go for something really exciting like accountancy or statistics (eh Pol?).

We're a bunch of geeks, thats why :p

Why not go for something really exciting like accountancy or statistics (eh Pol?).

Like Thaard's crew, I'm in a geeky band - we have a curator of musical instruments, a conservator of museum collections, a magazine editor, a graphic/web designer and an HR metrics consultant (formerly design and database admin).

When I was eleven I recorded the maximum temprature of every day of the year, each entry colour-coded according to decile (we had Fahrenheit back then), then I averaged out the temps by month. No idea why. Just mad, I guess.

This band is a veritable excitement machine! Man, the punters are gunna be jumpin' once we hit the retirement village circuit!

However, not even we would perform a song about maths :)

Thaard said:
Hehe, it wasnt that bad. To me, you sounded like one of those experimental jazz-vocalists. My band is writing a new tune called Equations and theories, where everyone in the band has to sing. The lyrics themselves will be about physics and maths, since our guitarist is pretty keen on it. Probably turn out awful :p

Yes, you're right. You clearly picked up my artful use of flattened notes in variance from the expected melody ...

Equations and Theories ... sure to be a hit at the Norwegian MENSA Annual Conference :)

Just when you thought it was safe ... no idea where this one came from ...

yarts_heavy-metal-art.jpg

When I was eleven I recorded the maximum temprature of every day of the year, each entry colour-coded according to decile (we had Fahrenheit back then), then I averaged out the temps by month. No idea why. Just mad, I guess.

On your own free time? OMG that is friggin hilarious. I totally cannot relate ha ha!
I'm afraid to ask if you still have them and, even worse, if you still have a need to do that...
JK Pol, thank you for starting my day with a smile....maximum temperatures every day of the year....priceless!

On your own free time? OMG that is friggin hilarious. I totally cannot relate ha ha!
I'm afraid to ask if you still have them and, even worse, if you still have a need to do that...
JK Pol, thank you for starting my day with a smile....maximum temperatures every day of the year....priceless!

Haha ... Dad still has it at his place. It seems he was kinda proud that I stuck at it. I was such a weirdo ..... was!

I ask you, what kind of chance does a kid have of being a cool drummer when she religiously watched the weather after the news to record the max temp etc. I'm still a keen weather-watcher. I'm never caught without an umbrella when it rains :)

The other week I went to a statisticians' group meeting at work and we broke up into groups to discuss our backgrounds. I told them about my 11 year old flight of fancy, hoping someone might have related and made me feel less like a weirdo.

They smiled and thought it was totally weird .................................. um, yeah ....

Pol, you are one of a kind, girl. I love how you own it. I'm still laughing! What purpose did it serve? I'm just trying to understand the motivation. Is it simply the record keeping? Or perhaps a genuine curiosity about average temps? I don't get it but that's the best part!
You slay me!
I'll trade you a 21" Armand ride for them.....

Look what I have found - Polly, I hope you like it!

Attachments

• Charlie.jpg
    Charlie.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 575
Haha Larry - you should have made that offer before I picked up the 20" Zil medium! Imagining the conversation ... "Hey Dad, do you know where my old weather thing is? There's a guy in a America who wants to trade it for a cymbal" lol

From memory it all started when I heard people talking about the hottest month or coldest month and I disagreed with their guesses, so I decided to find out for sure. Had I been 30 years younger I would have just Googled it.

For the record, February was the hottest month but these days it's nearly always January. August was the coldest with an ave of about 55F (just under 13C). In the last decade it's been July ... Aug's average would now be would be more like 17-18C! Actually, it's now uncommon for us to have temps as low as 12C at all. Maybe just several days a year.

I remember people having a lot of arguments back in the old days about matters of fact. That's why the Guinness Book of Records was created - to settle arguments of drunks blithering over their Guinnesses. You hardly hear that any more because you can just check it on the net.

Ian, that's an awesome caricature :) Ginger was always such a gnarly looking guy.

PS. No one picked up that the heavy metal art toon referred to Chardonnay but the guy was holding a glass of red. Fixed now ...

That was a tricky one, isn´t it? It's Charlie Watts.....my dear. ;-)

Oh yes, Ian, OF COURSE I knew that! I was just commenting that Ginger was a gnarly looking guy, a statement I still stand by!

Umm, Charlie is too ...

OMG, I'm going to crawl back under my rock ... shouldn't post anything when I have insomnia :)

Great thread! One of the cooler things I have seen here in a long time.

Polly, are you on Facebook? DM me if you'd like to connect there.

Cheers DMC :) I've had my own domain for about 10 years or so where sub-domains come and go - www.sangrea.net. Purely non-commercial ... all for fun, interest or idealism.

I've never been on Facebook. Kinda glad from what I've been reading of their privacy policy of late! How do you feel about what they're doing - selling off your email address to direct marketeers?

Cheers DMC :) I've had my own domain for about 10 years or so where sub-domains come and go - www.sangrea.net. Purely non-commercial ... all for fun, interest or idealism.

I've never been on Facebook. Kinda glad from what I've been reading of their privacy policy of late! How do you feel about what they're doing - selling off your email address to direct marketeers?

They aren't really selling off your email address, but they do match your personal interests with advertisers. That's how they pay the bills and keep it free. There are a gazillion Facebook games that are much more intrusive on privacy, but people love to play them.

Thanks Ian. I felt it kind of captures today's situation for drummers.

I don't think I've told anyone here this but I can do an almost perfect dalek impression - all I need is a fan (that goes in circles, not an admirer). EX-TER-MIN-AT-E! EX-TER-MIN-AT-E! It may be my greatest gift in this life.

Sure Monica, but that's only one photo. I tried to look at the gig vid but you've removed it. That would be perfect!

The dalek is cool! Very steampunk and I love steampunk. I steampunk drumset would be awesome - black, brass, glass and rivets.

Back