ProMark Shira Kashi Oaks sticks are Breaking like Crazy

hoppergrass

I've got a pair of wood tipped Japanese Oak 5A's that I've had since Oct 2009. And they still have life in them. Matter of fact, at the same time, I was curious on how they would hold up to one of the Hardest Hitters I know. So I bought him a pair to test them out. And it was the first time I seen a pair of drum sticks bend instead of break. And I have been buying these sticks for years (since 1996), and have found them to be the most durable wood stick ever. Each pair would last me for at least 7-8 mths before I had to retire it. But until now, since March 2010, every new pair I buy now, I have been breaking at least one of the pair. Sometimes the whole pair, on each Gig I play. I keep buying them hoping ProMark would get past the bad batch, but looks like this is it from now on. Is it just me, or others having same problems with the Japanese Oaks?

I dont use oak because they can cause problems with your hands when you get older, and they hurt my hands now lol. Anyways I use Vater Hickory Los Angeles 5A's and they seem to be quite durable. I can get about 30 hours (10-12 days worth) of practice or so before one will break.

Last edited:
I dont use oak because they can cause problems with your hands when you get older, and they hurt my hands right now lol. Anyways I use Vater Hickory Los Angeles 5A's and they seem to be quite durable. I can get about 30 hours (10-12 days worth) of practice or so before one will break.

Could you elaborate on "they can cause problems with you hands when you get older" ? I'm curious, I've never heard that before.

This thread also discussed Pro Mark sticks (mainly Oak sticks)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75837

I heard other drummers talking as well as my doctor(they were talking about like work in general, and using things that really vibrate) That things that dont absorb shock, like oak sticks, impact wrenches, jack hammers, etc, can cause muscle problems or even cause arthritis(spelling?) or carpal tunnel. Thats what I heard, and I don't like oak sticks anyways, so I don't have to worry.

Oak stick vibrations do seem minimal to those comparing to a jack hammer, but a long time with oak sticks could be problems too.

Last edited:
I dont use oak because they can cause problems with your hands when you get older, and they hurt my hands right now lol. Anyways I use Vater Hickory Los Angeles 5A's and they seem to be quite durable. I can get about 30 hours (10-12 days worth) of practice or so before one will break.

I actually considered about going to Vater. The last pair I bought I really liked. But at the time, I didn't want to change a good thing I had going. But about the Oak, problem. I feel there is some truth on what you are saying. But because of it (Oak), my grip is very light, and in sweaty conditions, I use Gorilla Snot in order to keep my sticks while mixing. I can remember in the beginning, they did hurt my hands, but I did adjust with the lighter grip. But one more about the ProMark Japanese Oaks. They are no longer as dense as they used to be, and they feel lighter.

I actually considered about going to Vater. The last pair I bought I really liked. But at the time, I didn't want to change a good thing I had going. But about the Oak, problem. I feel there is some truth on what you are saying. But because of it (Oak), my grip is very light, and in sweaty conditions, I use Gorilla Snot in order to keep my sticks while mixing. I can remember in the beginning, they did hurt my hands, but I did adjust with the lighter grip. But one more about the ProMark Japanese Oaks. They are no longer as dense as they used to be, and they feel lighter.

Yeah Vaters are nice. And if you like the oak then go for it man. That was just my opinion but you can do whatever you want. By the way if you did switch to hickory you will have to adjust your grip. I played oak 747's for 2 months, then decided those were not the way to go. When I got some hickorys I had to adjust my grip because they kept flyin out of my hands. Just an FYI

Has anyone tried out the new Vic Firth Shogun Oak Sticks?

I haven't come across a pair locally and I really want to try them.

Stiffer sticks will cause hand issues for sure. My snare heads are looser than I really like them to cut down on the energy passed through the stick to my hands. I have also started using lighter sticks(thinner) to lose some of the hard pounding. I still want to try some of the Zildjian sticks that absorb shock. Sorry forgot the name.

I've played Pro-Mark as long as I can remember. In fact I remember rolling them out and getting boxes at Manny's. So that is a long time. ;-)

My 'stick of choice' has always been the 5A Hickory/Nylon. However, I also use the 5A Oak/Nylon as well, (maybe 3:1) as I think there is a different tone specifically on side stick work. (I may just be crazy though). Plus oak does not seem to fry the way the hickory does.

I have not had any issues with the Shira Kashi Oaks and like them, nor have I had any issues ever, with any of the ProMark Oaks.. It takes more to break the oak, I think, but they do break. I fact i still have some very old oak ones called 'golden oak' that are are a dark golden color. ;-) I don't use them, as they became more of 'memorability' after much use already. :)

I have had issues with the (laquered) hickory ones, which seemed to break much faster these days. I sent a note to ProMark (really good customer service btw) and they sent me some new ones. I did notice a couple things with the new sticks: 1) they are now TX5AN and carry the D'ADDARIO logo; 2) the tips are different (smaller); 3) the finish is more like natural than the heavier lacquered finish used in the past. I have not used any yet though so I cannot give any feedback at this time.

You may want to reach out to ProMark if you are having trouble. Perhaps they had a bad batch of the oak as well, that yours came from.

I switched from Vic Firth 7A's to PM's oak 727s for some added reach, and while I like them, they have been breaking a lot. Sadly no other brand seems to have a comparable stick that's thin but long.

I switched from Vic Firth 7A's to PM's oak 727s for some added reach, and while I like them, they have been breaking a lot. Sadly no other brand seems to have a comparable stick that's thin but long.

I haven't tried those ProMark sticks, so I don't know exactly how they are. But I have tried a couple of ProMark sticks, and they all seem to break fairly easily. However, a Danish drumstick producer called Bstick makes some long thin sticks called King (basically means they are hickory) Bstick jazz. So they are not oak, but they probably produces some of the most durable sticks out there. I use Bstick 3a, and I can use them for months before they break of become useless. And I play really hard and practice for hours a day.

Of course, if you have a general problem with sticks breaking, you should take a look at you cymbal placement and hi-hat placement. Make sure they don't chew up the sticks.

Have you tried the new Vic Firth 8D Extreme? It's the same size as the 7A, but it's longer; about 16.5".

There's also the Steve Jordan signature model. It's thinner than the 7A and also 16.5" long.

hmm, the 8D, sounds like I should try that. Thanks. :)

I rimshot and stuff but I think they are breaking from when I play Peart-esque ride bell patterns.

Back