Jeff Porcaro

To my (limited!) knowledge, the only track with Jeff on that album is Without You. I agree, Satisfaction is very JR. (Too funky for Ed Greene in my opinion). And yes, great opening fill!

Talking of fills, here's a gem for you (if you don't know it already)...

Superstar, by Richard Marx.

You know that fill from How Many Times / Toto (4:05 in), well at the end of Superstar, you can hear the same fill slowed right down, here you can really break it down and hear how it's done.

And here's a challenge for you...

The album View From The Ground by America has no track credits. Have a listen and tell me which tracks you think are Jeff. I have my ideas, but don't want to influence your decision.

Sure:
track 2
track 3
track 4
track 5
track 6
track 7
track 9

I've noticed that Manu Katche also plays on the "On every street" album

However, there are no indications in my booklet regarding which songs are played by Porcaro and which ones by Katche.

From previous posts in this thread, I see that Porcaro plays "Calling Elvis" and "Heavy Fuel"... Anybody knows about the other songs ?

Actually, Manu Katche played on Heavy Fuel. The rest is Jeff.

I saw Manu at the Ultimate Drummers Day in Australia many years ago, and he told a hilarious story about the session.

He also said he was very wary of playing on that record, because in his mind it was Jeff's record, and they were very good friends. Apparently Mark convinced him to do a few takes and the result was Heavy Fuel.

As far as I can remember, it was his first take, he actually thought it was pretty average but apparently Mark dug it so they used it.

Yeah; that's Jeff on "Cherish".

One of the 702 album credits he had .....working on his diosgraphy at Toto Network, I found things he had played on that I had forgotten about.

"Heavy Fuel" from Dire Straits is definitely Jeff. (Something about the kick drum is the give-away).

Check it out. This guy was EVERYWHERE.

Oh, forgot to mention, I believe Jeff's groove can be heard on the track Cherish (Like A Prayer). There's no specific credit to that, but I read it in a mag somewhere. One listen, and it will confirm it I think!

I hate it when there's no credits. There's too many examples of this!!

THIS ONE'S FOR TIM

Champlin is one of Chicago's lead vocalists, and has been in the biz for 35 years or so.
Go find yourself a copy of "Lossen up Naturally" by "the Sons of Champlin" for starters.

;-)

Lukather and Champlin took a Grammy for "Turn Your Love Around" in '81. Bill is West Coast/R&B/Funk/Soul....hard to put him in one bag.

Jeff's work on "Runaway" is awesome.

Cheers guys, thatll be a couple more hours on amazon then! I didnt even know he played on a Benson album, ill look that one up. Is it older or newer than 'give me the night'?

Alexdrum: What kind of genre is Bill Champlin? Ill check that out

Totally agree with you on 'any foolish thing' thats always been my favourite shuffle groove of his, more so than rosanna. It is more simple and just flows nicely I think.

Any one know where I can get 'All dressed up' from? Amazon uk dont have it and amazon us have it only second hand and not international shipping....

As for the America album, ive never heard it but JRs hats are normally quite distinctive 'light' sounding... Although I still cant decide who plays which songs on Madonnas 'like a prayer', which they both play on too....V annoying when they dont list track credits!

Tim

Re: Jeff Porcaro --CREDITS LIST

HI GUYS AND GALS:

Those of you wanting to see what Jeff's credits were....do yourselves a big favor.

JEFFREY'S DISCOGRAPHY is HERE.

I'm the somebody that had that project dropped in my lap...."here, manage compiling this", somebody said. So I did.

SIX WEEKS, and the help of three others. There are ALBUM covers, track lists, and lists of the other guys and gals on each album.

702 DIFFERENT CREDITS!
Folks, that's an insane amount of work. 33 different projects a year over the course of 21 years. My humble opinion? Jeff's heart said, "...you're NOT working me that hard anymore, pal...I resign; I QUIT!"

Before he left us, he tracked "Rhythm of the Rain" with Dan Fogelberg (vocals, Rhodes), and Mike Porcaro (on bass).

Someone I know ventured, "...this track proves Jeff was legend at saying so much with so little."
(The opening hi-hat hiss is proof, but it's his kick drum here that nails me. What soul!)

gretschgal1, thank you for a job well done!

Tony,
If you mean the Toto Network thing, I had major help from several on that project.
It was so much fun. It was frustrating at times to format--or to find rare tracks-but that's when you call in other people who might know things you didn't.

Jeff had 702 credits that I've counted, and perhaps that's only HALF of his credits-everything else either on a shelf somewhere, or never used......but it's a safe bet to say he played his back pockets off while he was here.

T

Tony,
If you mean the Toto Network thing, I had major help from several on that project.
It was so much fun. It was frustrating at times to format--or to find rare tracks-but that's when you call in other people who might know things you didn't.

Jeff had 702 credits that I've counted, and perhaps that's only HALF of his credits-everything else either on a shelf somewhere, or never used......but it's a safe bet to say he played his back pockets off while he was here.

T

Yes, I was referring to that. I really admire your (and the others) work on that.
Without this kind of information, I wouldn't have such a great record collection!

Thank you!

Re: Jeff Porcaro- Ride pattern on "Pamela"

For some reason this week, the tune "Pamela" cued from my playlist and toward the end of the tune (2nd chorus maybe?) Jeff's ride cymbal pattern just NAILED me. It was almost as if that groove yelled, "hey-been here all along, why did you just now notice?"

(It seems every time I hear something he played -another facet of his work shows up real sneaky like....!).

Jeff, for all his rock drummer chops, could swing a ride! He was firmly rooted in jazz, of this I am convinced.

That 2nd chorus to the fade of the tune is just killer!

T

Okay Guys/Gals

I'd like some more opinions on the Dire Straits album please...

Actually, Manu Katche played on Heavy Fuel. The rest is Jeff.

I saw Manu at the Ultimate Drummers Day in Australia many years ago, and he told a hilarious story about the session.

He also said he was very wary of playing on that record, because in his mind it was Jeff's record, and they were very good friends. Apparently Mark convinced him to do a few takes and the result was Heavy Fuel.

As far as I can remember, it was his first take, he actually thought it was pretty average but apparently Mark dug it so they used it.

That's really interesting.

As a first listen, I thought, yep that's Jeff. Listening a bit harder, I'm sure I can hear some trade mark Katche splashes. Like maybe a 12" or something? Something you would rarely hear Jeff play.

I can say the same for "Planet New Orleans" though. The drumming on this track reminds me of something you'd hear from Sting's "Soul Cages".

The rest of the tracks sound Jeffrey like, with those big Paistes and that brush work.

Ahhh! I wish they'd credit properly!!!!!!!

Okay Guys/Gals

I'd like some more opinions on the Dire Straits album please...

That's really interesting.

As a first listen, I thought, yep that's Jeff. Listening a bit harder, I'm sure I can hear some trade mark Katche splashes. Like maybe a 12" or something? Something you would rarely hear Jeff play.

I can say the same for "Planet New Orleans" though. The drumming on this track reminds me of something you'd hear from Sting's "Soul Cages".

The rest of the tracks sound Jeffrey like, with those big Paistes and that brush work.

Ahhh! I wish they'd credit properly!!!!!!!

Absolutely correct: "Planet of New Orleans" is Manu. Definetly. The splashes and hi-hat rolls are his trademarks.

Re: Jeff Porcaro "On Every Street"

THE FOLLOWING is taken from the website "Jeff Porcaro Session Tracks"

--Dire Straits / On Every Street (Warner, 1991)
No track specific credits; 1 of 2 drummers (also Manu Katche); known to be on*)
Track list: *Calling Elvis - On every street - When it comes to you - Fade to black - The bug - You and your friend - Heavy fuel - Iron hand - Ticket to heaven - *My parties - Planet of New Orleans - How long

SOMEWHERE, I believe Keltner credited Jeff with "Heavy Fuel" --in an interview after Jeff passed away. I'll keep looking for that.
OBNOTE: I looked on my copy of "Sultans of Swing/Best of..." and both Jeff and Manu are credited but not for particular tunes. I DO BELIEVE Jeff played on "the Bug" from "On Every Street". That just sounds like a track he'd do.

OBSERVATION: Hungate has stated Jeff had a pretty cryptic sense of humor and had a quick wit. Toward the end of "Heavy Fuel" there's a shot somebody takes at a ride cymbal bell, real quick "take THAT" sort of lick. Something tells me that's Jeff.

I'll keep digging 'til I find his name (or don't) on that track. I think it's in the interview with Keltner. We gotta find the answer to this one.

T

Re: Jeff Porcaro "On Every Street"

THE FOLLOWING is taken from the website "Jeff Porcaro Session Tracks"

--Dire Straits / On Every Street (Warner, 1991)
No track specific credits; 1 of 2 drummers (also Manu Katche); known to be on*)
Track list: *Calling Elvis - On every street - When it comes to you - Fade to black - The bug - You and your friend - Heavy fuel - Iron hand - Ticket to heaven - *My parties - Planet of New Orleans - How long

SOMEWHERE, I believe Keltner credited Jeff with "Heavy Fuel" --in an interview after Jeff passed away. I'll keep looking for that.
OBNOTE: I looked on my copy of "Sultans of Swing/Best of..." and both Jeff and Manu are credited but not for particular tunes. I DO BELIEVE Jeff played on "the Bug" from "On Every Street". That just sounds like a track he'd do.

OBSERVATION: Hungate has stated Jeff had a pretty cryptic sense of humor and had a quick wit. Toward the end of "Heavy Fuel" there's a shot somebody takes at a ride cymbal bell, real quick "take THAT" sort of lick. Something tells me that's Jeff.

I'll keep digging 'til I find his name (or don't) on that track. I think it's in the interview with Keltner. We gotta find the answer to this one.

T

To me "Heavy fuel" it's Manu.
Because:
sec. 15: splash sound, typical of Manu;
1.14: again, small crash cymbal, it's Manu;
1.32: three stroke roll on hi-hat: it's Manu;
2.33: again, small crash cymbals, Manu;
2.47: spalsh cymbal;
4.20: the fill is not in the Porcaro style. Actually I've never heard JP playing this fill.

Plus, the hi-hat sound is not a Paiste sound, it's a Zildjian New or Quick Beat: it has a fatter sound but not lower not higher than a perfect medium, while I'd define the JP hi-hat sound more silky.
Again: the use of the toms and floor toms. Very "african", to me it's Manu, the way he plays tom fills it's very down-earthy, african, warm.
The sound of the snare and the way Manu plays very dragged-ghost notes in between backbeats.

To me it's Manu.

Back