Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!

Never mind building drums - build an Ark!

I'm just enjoying the mental image of a massive guru boat.

Saw a wind surfer on the main road this morning too. That was kinda funny :)

There is a guy that brings his jet ski down to the local rugby fields when they flood. He was bombing around last month but the water has drained away since then. I guess it's only a matter of time before he gets it out again though.

Ok, just higher than average snowfall then.

No Andy,you were right the first time.In NY,we're way ahead of where we're suppose to be ,in terms of snowfall,and record low temps.In fact,all over the US,there are records being broken for snowfall and low temps.some -20 below 0.At that temp,home heating oil,turns to gel.

We just got 9" of snow overnight,and now it's raining to beat the band.It's a slushy mess,and it will all freeze overnight.

I hope all is well with you,the fam and all of our other DW cousins in the UK.I just read the other day,about the huge waves,pounding the cost of the UK and Spain.These major weather events are downright scary.Stay safe my friend.

Steve B

No Andy,you were right the first time.In NY,we're way ahead of where we're suppose to be ,in terms of snowfall,and record low temps.In fact,all over the US,there are records being broken for snowfall and low temps.some -20 below 0.At that temp,home heating oil,turns to gel.

We just got 9" of snow overnight,and now it's raining to beat the band.It's a slushy mess,and it will all freeze overnight.

I hope all is well with you,the fam and all of our other DW cousins in the UK.I just read the other day,about the huge waves,pounding the cost of the UK and Spain.These major weather events are downright scary.Stay safe my friend.

Steve B
You too Steve :(

Ummmm, got you covered.

Want one - preferably now please!

Power & water just came back on. It's getting tiresome now. Another storm raging outside, & yet more flooding :(

Power & water just came back on. It's getting tiresome now. Another storm raging outside, & yet more flooding :(

Ugh, it gets tarsome after a while.

Hope you're ok. If you need to evacuate, you know where we are. (Bring drums!)

It has been a wild winter so far, luckily in Scotland the flooding hasn't been so bad this year, usually Elgin and last year Stonehaven were badly flooded but at last the councils dregged rivers etc in preparation for this winter.

I am a little tired of marketing people encouraging us to think that it is just climate change, sometimes it is a colddry frosty winter then the media say it is climate change, then it is a mild but very wet winter, again climate change. The bad news is mother nature is a lot stronger than mankind will ever be, I agree we have a resonsibility but media and marketing is so tiresome.

The worst thing about all of this is the people in the flooded areas left for weeks and weeks with no assistance at all, actually some companies are making money by having to distribute things to temporary addresses etc.

There are certain counties and lots of building plots in England where before the 1960s were commonly known for being flooded every year. They built houses and put short term temporary structures to prevent the flooding and sell the houses. The last 10 years or so these places have been flooded almost every year and it is now building up and flowing into new areas. Very tough on the people there.

Andy you have no generator? I have well water so I NEED a generator. It's just a portable 7500 watt affair but it's worth it's weight in gold when the lights go out. I find it hard to believe that you didn't have one installed. A nice automatic transfer switch and a permanently installed tank of LP gas to power it would be just the ticket.

When I said "bring drums" I was only thinking of you, of course. I wouldn't want them to get drownded or stolen.

I'll be descending on you a week Wednesday. I might just have something in my car if you want to use it :)

Still TBC although of course I'd love to see you anyway! And eeeek, you've just scared the living carp out of me - I'll look, but I doubt if I'll touch.

Last edited:
Andy you have no generator? I have well water so I NEED a generator. It's just a portable 7500 watt affair but it's worth it's weight in gold when the lights go out. I find it hard to believe that you didn't have one installed. A nice automatic transfer switch and a permanently installed tank of LP gas to power it would be just the ticket.
Larry, I'm reading this now because my power has only just been reinstated after 30 hours cut off. Another frigging storm on Friday brought some big trees down on the power lines. It's taken a while to fix as the damage was extensive. Looking into a generator on Monday :(

I'll look, but I doubt if I'll touch.
Oh, you should, you should.

Here in Godalming there was power out for about 17 hours, 10,500 homes without power apparently.

It has been a wild winter so far, luckily in Scotland the flooding hasn't been so bad this year, usually Elgin and last year Stonehaven were badly flooded but at last the councils dregged rivers etc in preparation for this winter.

I am a little tired of marketing people encouraging us to think that it is just climate change, sometimes it is a colddry frosty winter then the media say it is climate change, then it is a mild but very wet winter, again climate change. The bad news is mother nature is a lot stronger than mankind will ever be, I agree we have a resonsibility but media and marketing is so tiresome.

The worst thing about all of this is the people in the flooded areas left for weeks and weeks with no assistance at all, actually some companies are making money by having to distribute things to temporary addresses etc.

There are certain counties and lots of building plots in England where before the 1960s were commonly known for being flooded every year. They built houses and put short term temporary structures to prevent the flooding and sell the houses. The last 10 years or so these places have been flooded almost every year and it is now building up and flowing into new areas. Very tough on the people there.

Media and marketing? More about a warming Arctic changing the behaviour of the Jet Stream. That's what's connecting the extreme weather in California, the East Coast and UK.

Well, Andy, Mother Nature listened.

Southern California has been hit by a major rain storm.

It's been years since it rained this hard. Given the drought we needed it. But also, given the drought, it's quite a shock the land scape. Clog drained everywhere, mud slides, and slick roads.

I'm glad your drought has been broken, but it sounds pretty extreme.

Well, Andy, Mother Nature listened.

Southern California has been hit by a major rain storm.

It's been years since it rained this hard. Given the drought we needed it. But also, given the drought, it's quite a shock the land scape. Clog drained everywhere, mud slides, and slick roads.
As always, stuff balances out, but never according to the wishes of most. I suspect SoCal needs persistent rain over the next few months, not a one off rain storm. Not quite as persistent as we had though. Our ground water systems are completely full for the first time in decades. Literally, ground water levels are at the surface!

Media and marketing? More about a warming Arctic changing the behaviour of the Jet Stream. That's what's connecting the extreme weather in California, the East Coast and UK.
Yes, I was listening to a lady on the Coast to Coast radio show who explained this jet stream behavior (behaviour). She said the warming arctic slows down the jet stream and makes it more wavy. That in turn, makes weather slow down and create these polar vortexes that dive deep into the mid-latitudes. The result in N America made for one of the coldest winters in the East while we in the West had a long dry spell. So I'd imagine that's also why Greenland is getting greener and Great Britain is being soaked night and day. I don't know what the jet stream looks like over there.

Yes, I was listening to a lady on the Coast to Coast radio show who explained this jet stream behavior (behaviour). She said the warming arctic slows down the jet stream and makes it more wavy. That in turn, makes weather slow down and create these polar vortexes that dive deep into the mid-latitudes. The result in N America made for one of the coldest winters in the East while we in the West had a long dry spell. So I'd imagine that's also why Greenland is getting greener and Great Britain is being soaked night and day. I don't know what the jet stream looks like over there.

Don't forget about the ocean currents either. The Gulf Stream crosses the entire ocean as the North Atlantic Drift. The warm water current actually plays a part in the weather in the UK combined with the jet stream. Since the US has Canada above us, the descending dry, cold air creates snow when it meets the wet, warm, north moving air that comes from the Pacific and the Gulf. The moisture passes through the cold air mass as it falls to the ground and we get snow. Being that the UK is an island, they don't have the massive descending dry cold air mass that we do. So their moisture makes it to the ground as rain. This is also why that, even though the UK is at a higher latitude than the US, they generally get much less snow than we do.

I am tired of the cold weather. I am ready for 100+ degree summer weather.

Back