Longest Sustaining VibraSlap?

aiiiiee

Hello,
I saw the band Cake recently (GREAT band/show) and lead singer John McCrea utilized a VibraSlap liberally throughout the set. In my covers band I have a VS, but it had nowhere Near the sustain, the length of time McCrea's VS "rang" on and on for! It also appeared to have a larger wooden shell than the LP VibraSlap that I own
I'm wondering if anyone has any inside or helpful info on brands or what brand McCrea uses or a place where one can be bought!

Thanks,
aiiiiee
[email protected]

May have been a looped sample, the LP VibraSlaps generally don't last very long.

However, there's an Indonesian knockoff sometimes called a "donkey call", and those can last quite a while. I have 2 of them, one lasts 12 seconds, which is a LONG time! It's almost a joke, it seems like it will never end.

I got mine at Noisy Toys in Westchester, CA (near LAX) and I keep trying them whenever I visit there, but never found another that comes close.

Bermuda

LP makes a couple different models of the vibraslap. When I got mine, I specifically told the store to order me the larger one. When the shipment with the smaller one came, I had them take it back and order me the larger one. I'm SO glad I did! It rings longer than the smaller one, but nowhere near what Bermuda's does.

Oh, and CAKE uses delay effects on their album to make the vibraslap go longer. You can actually hear it if you listen closely to the recordings...

Also, LP's Vibraslap mount stifles the length of the vibraslap rattle. If you want it to really last, either hold it lightly in your hand, or hang the loop from something...that clamp to mount it to a cymbal stand kills the sound almost immediately, in my experience...

I drape mine over my vocal mic boom stand, freeswinging. The mic clip keeps it from sliding forward, and the downward angle of my mic boom keeps it right at the mic clip. I get as much sustain as I want to hear this way, provided I hit it right.

They do have the longest sustain in your hand, but the method I use provides plenty of sustain.

Back