Choice, music you hate, or no music at all

Music, comfortable volume. Because music is just music, no genre of music is bad. I'm fine with anything.

I would choose no music. I rarely listen to music in my truck when travelling. With 7 people in my household and an office at work surrounded by noisy equipment I welcome silence with open arms, even if it is on a desert island. I also have a lot of music stuck in my head. That seems to be how I work out drum parts most of the time.

Polly, get with the times! All you need is one of these...

http://www.solio.com/charger/solio-charger-classic.html

...and an iPod loaded with your least favorite music.

Hey Boom, who's going to be on a desert island (or anywhere) with ONE album on their iPod? That would be seriously weird ... so it would have to be a CD ... ?

Derek, just to throw a spanner in the works, I've heard about arranged marriages where the couple didn't get along at first but ended up with love. Maybe we are too quick to judge? Perhaps spending a little quality time with Achey Breaky Heart would end up with us truly understanding the song's deeper social significance and hidden beauty?

Um ...

Hey Boom, who's going to be on a desert island (or anywhere) with ONE album on their iPod? That would be seriously weird ... so it would have to be a CD ... ?

Derek, just to throw a spanner in the works, I've heard about arranged marriages where the couple didn't get along at first but ended up with love. Maybe we are too quick to judge? Perhaps spending a little quality time with Achey Breaky Heart would end up with us truly understanding the song's deeper social significance and hidden beauty?

Um ...
And maybe I underestimate " I wanna be a Cowboy" and the complete music library of Adam Ant?
Hmmm.... , nah, but I admire your optimism as always Polly.

And maybe I underestimate " I wanna be a Cowboy" and the complete music library of Adam Ant?
Hmmm.... , nah, but I admire your optimism as always Polly.

Derek, the trick is a lack of quality control :) For example, I don't believe there's such a thing as bad coffee. For me it ranges from good to wonderful. If I was Somalian that range would probably be from wonderful to heavenly.

Having said that, it is one of the mysteries of life that a person could enjoy Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree and Achey Breaky Heart enough to buy them. How does that work?? How can a human being not only enjoy Achey Breaky Heart but line dance to it? So much for the dignity of man ...

I am a strong believer in anti-discrimination and inclusiveness but one has to draw the line somewhere. I'd rather listen to the gulls and the waves lapping at the shore ... not to mention fingernails down a blackboard, police sirens and the noisy escape of methane, sulphur and other noxious gases as part of the digestive process ;)

I am a strong believer in anti-discrimination and inclusiveness but one has to draw the line somewhere. I'd rather listen to the gulls and the waves lapping at the shore ... not to mention fingernails down a blackboard, police sirens and the noisy escape of methane, sulphur and other noxious gases as part of the digestive process ;)

My thoughts exactly Polly. Ahh, a kindred spirit. This is a good day.

I can stand, or even like a lot of music. But if the only choice is the music I really hate (and there is some), then I'd rather no music at all.

Now, I don't think I'd have a problem with most of bad music mentioned here. Achey Breaky Heart? Bring it on, though I'd probably grow to detest it in time.

But something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWm4q0L-Qgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkY2hrI9FHU

:shudder:
Yet that's the kind of music one's most likely to encounter shuffling through the local radio stations. I'll take Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree over this any time, no problem.

Well, music you hate, because if you dont have to play it all the time; then you have the option of ear-bleed or silence. So you can have your proverbial cake and listen to it, too.

Oh, the joys of eastern European pop music!
Please, it's called "folk" over here. Though those particular examples are more in the vein of "Turbo folk". Is it safe to assume you agree it's worse than the Western counterparts?

Actually, there's some quite good pop to be found here.

Back