Evans Genera HD Dry vs. Power Center Reverse Dot

johnfredrickson

Hi,
I'm looking for a new durable snare head with no high-pitched overtones, and have decided on either the Evans Genera HD Dry, or the Power Center Reverse Dot, but I cannot decide which would be better (I play rock and pop). Any thoughts?

The PC dot has overtones. The HD Dry will have little if any. The regular Genera (not dry) is a nice in between head.

The PC dot has overtones. The HD Dry will have little if any. The regular Genera (not dry) is a nice in between head.

I just happen to be considering another head to replace my HD Dry. The HD Dry is great for eliminating the overtones. I play Rock and Pop and have them on my Tama 13x6.5 and DW Collectors 14x5.5 (both maple)

The Trade-off in overtone control is a more dull tone. You can compensate by adding some brass puresound wires and cranking up both heads for a brighter tone. However, the tone is still not as bright as I prefer. I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

The Tama Artwood came with the PC rvs Dot. Yes, also came with more overtones than I cared for. Maybe a more skilled tuner can overcome those, I'm still learning that task.

I agree with Doug, the regular Genera might be a good fit, but it is single ply. It does not have the holes around the perimeter like the HD Dry. But those holes do serve a purpose to control overtones.
Also consider the HD regular, without the holes in the perimeter. It still has the overtone control ring.

The link below to the Evans site provides some sound clips.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvansPlayerProfiles.Page

Last edited:
If you're playing live ... in a band ... the Dot would get my vote.​
I love the Evans HD Dry ... have it on 2 of my snares ... but I'm not jammin' with a mega-watt band ... I have six 60 watt amps in my jam room ... and for the volume we play at ... the Evans HD Dry is an excellent head choice.​

I use dots on all my snares, with a moongel if the overtones are heavy....this keeps the tone without having to change the wires.

F

Agreed on those. Just a few notes about dots & damping:

Damping near the edge of the head (with MoonGel or tape) controls or eliminates a lot of harmonics, which accentutes the fundamental tone of the drum. Basically it eliminates a lot of ring, and enough damping can make the drum pretty dead.

Conversely, a center dot cancels a bit of the fundamental tone, which then accentuates the harmonics, or ring/decay. This makes a drum seem to have more attack, which is interpreted as volume (which is why 'dot' heads are reputed to be louder.)

Try this - with your snare wide open, no damping, hit the center of the drum and note the sound. Now place two fingers near the outer edge of the head, and strike the drum again. Next, place just one finger lightly in the center of the head and strike again close to that spot. You'll definitely determine what dots and damping do.

All that said, I prefer a 2-ply coated head (Evans SuperTough) for the best control of ring without taking the life out of the drum.

Bermuda

Agreed on those. Just a few notes about dots & damping:

All that said, I prefer a 2-ply coated head (Evans SuperTough) for the best control of ring without taking the life out of the drum.

Bermuda

Bermuda,

Is that like the HD, but without the control ring? Are you using the "DRY" or regular?

I have the Evans ST dry on my 6.5x14 gretch snare now
and it sounds great - lets in just a tiny bit of overtones.

there is no control ring - this a a two ply perforated head

7mil+ 5mil

I have the Evans ST dry on my 6.5x14 gretch snare now
and it sounds great - lets in just a tiny bit of overtones.

there is no control ring - this a a two ply perforated head

7mil+ 5mil

It's not too dull of a tone is it? (compared to the HD Dry)

I'm looking to go a little brighter than the HD, but the Evans website claims the HD Dry is brighter than the ST (?)

IF you're used to the open tones of say a coated ambassador
or reverse dot then yes you will notice a duller overall timbre

but that is not to say that there is not a good bright crack going on
there is just less harmonic ringyness/sustain in the ST dry

great head - highly recomended if you want a slightly drier sound
without attaching any extra muffling

IF you're used to the open tones of say a coated ambassador
or reverse dot then yes you will notice a duller overall timbre

but that is not to say that there is not a good bright crack going on
there is just less harmonic ringyness/sustain in the ST dry

great head - highly recomended if you want a slightly drier sound
without attaching any extra muffling

Sorry, which head were you talking about in the last paragraph?

Back