Coated Ambassador vs. Clear Pinstripe

ugotpwnd

i like to play rock, hard rock and some metal. i just wanted to really know which head is better suited to my play( sound wise)? alot of people tell me that heads with inner rings like ec2s and pinstripes give a better more controlled sound. i not ready to go buy them without some input from you guys who know what your talking about. thanks

i like to play rock, hard rock and some metal. i just wanted to really know which head is better suited to my play( sound wise)? alot of people tell me that heads with inner rings like ec2s and pinstripes give a better more controlled sound. i not ready to go buy them without some input from you guys who know what your talking about. thanks

Pinstripes / EC2 type heads are generally more popular in those styles of music. I prefer the various flavors of Ambassador heads myself but I don't play the heavier styles

i like to play rock, hard rock and some metal.

The Pinstripes will perform a little better for heavy and louder music.

You should check out Clear Emperors or Coated Smooth Emporers for a hard rock/metal sound. Nice and punchy.

what is the make and model of your drum kit?
type of wood, diameter, depths etc.
Are you going to play with mics?

^^ "Are you going to play with mics?"

That's the question.

No matter what a given artist endorses, or uses live, the dirty little secret is that many, many recordings are made with coated ambassadors--even way outside the genres you'd expect.

If you're playing unmiked, then frankly a single ply head would suit you better--they're louder.

Now, if you're miked up you can get as muffled a head as you like.

Why not boil it down to 2 or 3 candidates and get one of each for just one drum, say a 12"? You'll get a pretty good idea of what a full set of them will sound like without spending a lot of money.

Man, you just can't go wrong w/ coated ambassadors. I haven't had one kit that they haven't sounded fantastic on. I can't say that about other heads I've tried, especially the pre-muffled ones.

If you're in a band, where "everything is louder than everything else", then go with the Ambassadors. You'll need the extra volume, and no one's gonna hear overtones anyways. If your playing for your own enjoyment, at home, unmic'd, Pinstripes.

In a hard rock\metal setup there's nothing better than clear Emporers over clear Ambassadors on toms.
It's the perfect combination of volume, control, attack and durability.
For kick drums go clear Powerstroke 3 on the bater and ebony Powerstroke 3 with a small hole on the front. No muffling. It kicks hard.
For snares a coated Powerstroke 3 over a snare Ambassador is the perfect combination for a lot of my snares. It controls the ring without killing it.
Tuned right all of these combinations will sound great and project well. Just what you need in a rock setup.
I'm a Remo guy.

Mike

Back