Son of Frankenstand!!!!!!

Bull

Gold Member
I now have snare stands tall enough for my kit! I got two mint Ludwig snare stands with my newly acquired used Ludwig Bonham kit. Neither would get the tom where I needed it. I found two of my old Pearl Super Pro boom stand bases. The bottom tubes were the same size as the Ludwigs.. Replaced the tubing on the Ludwig bases and now have working tom stands for both kits!!!

2042_4879583344860_2137851388_n.jpg

I'm a sucker for a pretty faced and that's one good looking set! So, I was just at the local drum shop looking for a used snare drum stand and they had a nice one for $26. But they said it was extra tall as it was used for concert orchestra work? Because of that I didn't give it a try but maybe that's a partial answer for those that must have a small mountain of sound in front of them?

I'm a sucker for a pretty faced and that's one good looking set! So, I was just at the local drum shop looking for a used snare drum stand and they had a nice one for $26. But they said it was extra tall as it was used for concert orchestra work? Because of that I didn't give it a try but maybe that's a partial answer for those that must have a small mountain of sound in front of them?

The concert snare stand was where I was heading ,if this didn't work!!

Thanks guys!

So what kind of sound do you get out of the big guy. I have an 18 1/2 inch by 22 with a Remo III on it and I just noticed how cannon like low and thunderous boomy it is. I'm going to change that today as it's just overboard boomy. I'm not exactly sure how I'll do this as I don't want it to end up sounding like a jazz kit.

So what kind of sound do you get out of the big guy. I have an 18 1/2 inch by 22 with a Remo III on it and I just noticed how cannon like low and thunderous boomy it is. I'm going to change that today as it's just overboard boomy. I'm not exactly sure how I'll do this as I don't want it to end up sounding like a jazz kit.

Aquarian Superkick2 with a Regulator reso with no additional muffling.
It's not boomy at all.It's far boomier without the port and i prefer it that way.

Thanks, I originally ported my reso so as not to get that bass beater kick-back. Maybe that's the low cost solution, go back to an unported reso. I'll try it this weekend.

I prefer the boom of an unported drum. The small 4" port dried it up. :) My other kick isn't getting ported.

I prefer the boom of an unported drum. The small 4" port dried it up. :) My other kick isn't getting ported.

The Regulator front head is possibly the reason it's sound is so dry. With that felt ring right in the center, it's probably pretty dry sounding to begin with. Probably gets a nice thump though.

The Remo (SW or Coated) head stays almost the same in sound with the 4" hole on my 16x26. It still feels good for the overall action, but it's less bouncy when I dig in a bit, and for doubles and multiples.

I have no prob with the full head (18x26) for one of my bands, but one of the other groups rehearsed at my house a week or so ago, and it's a heavier band.
With that group, the full front was giving me an issue with too much bounce--and I play off the head too!
I must just play a lot harder with that band, but I wouldn't say I play "light" with the other group either... It was weird.

The Regulator front head is possibly the reason it's sound is so dry. With that felt ring right in the center, it's probably pretty dry sounding to begin with. Probably gets a nice thump though.
It sounds ok. Everyone loves it but me. it's just not the sound in my head.

The Remo (SW or Coated) head stays almost the same in sound with the 4" hole on my 16x26. It still feels good for the overall action, but it's less bouncy when I dig in a bit, and for doubles and multiples.
I have a SW with a 5" port. It totally killed it.even without muffling strip. The new kit has an unported SW. Those are my fav resos.

I have no prob with the full head (18x26) for one of my bands, but one of the other groups rehearsed at my house a week or so ago, and it's a heavier band.
With that group, the full front was giving me an issue with too much bounce--and I play off the head too!
I must just play a lot harder with that band, but I wouldn't say I play "light" with the other group either... It was weird.

I am fighting a wall of Mesa Boogies in this band. At first, I was having bounce/flubber problems, while playing unported, too. I cranked my spring and moved the beater waaaay back.I got used to it. I have always kept my springs pretty tight, anyway.I can play quick licks and broken triplets with it now but it took some getting used to. It's almost impossible to bury the beater the way it's set.My roommate says he can't even play my kit. LOl.

Funny you mention a tight spring.....
For years I've used that DW Heavy spring on my Elim's and it's tightened to almost max (about 4 turns to the end I guess). The beater is back too, and I shortened the length of the strap and chain about a 1/4 inch. I also put one of those beater balancer weights under the beater head. The beater is almost to the end of the shaft.
They have a lot of action, and other friends that have lighter foot playing have liked it too.

I think the beater weight evens things out, because it's not a heavy feel at all. It's even on the stroke, and snaps back quick with the heavier spring.

Pedal.jpg

Yeah, "flubber" is a good way to describe how it felt with the heavy rock band rehearsal. I just wasn't used to it, and was probably digging in too much. It only happened a couple times, but it was weird!

The 16 is full headed, and the 18 has been fine, but the 20" depth drums do better with a port so the sound is directly in sync with the bass guitar.
I had it unported, but on a recording of a show, I heard a tiny difference in how the bass guitar fell with the bass drum (we were together on the show).
It was mostly the overall sound than the initial hit, so I went ahead and put the smallest port in. No problems since.
I wish they made a 3" hole protector like the HOLZ. I just put the mic at the hole, not inside. That's enough to keep the sound I want, and the FOH has an easy time blending everything.
On the 16" depth, there isn't any issues at all, and it sounds real cool through a PA.

Bull, did you want to show your stand or just show off your set some more? I see this as a plot to make others feel insecure with there not-as-awesome looking drums.

Just kidding, but those are some sweet drums.

Funny you mention a tight spring.....
For years I've used that DW Heavy spring on my Elim's and it's tightened to almost max (about 4 turns to the end I guess). The beater is back too, and I shortened the length of the strap and chain about a 1/4 inch. I also put one of those beater balancer weights under the beater head. The beater is almost to the end of the shaft.
They have a lot of action, and other friends that have lighter foot playing have liked it too.
I use Elims too. I used DW heavy springs for years,as well. Right now, it's got a maxed out stock spring on it. My beater is a bit farther back but not much. Your foot board is higher. I replaced the spring with a new one recently. i was so used to the other one,I switched it back. The new DW one was wearing me out.Lol

Bull, did you want to show your stand or just show off your set some more? I see this as a plot to make others feel insecure with there not-as-awesome looking drums.

Just kidding, but those are some sweet drums.

Absolutely not! Karl has an army of cool kits with a big@$$ bass drums. I could never compete!

thanks!

Back