Roy Haynes

Check out - Coltrane Newport 1963.
I believe he was filling in for Elvin, but he makes it his own. It's one of my favorite Coltrane albums...really great playing by Roy Haynes...

note; not sure if that's the title of the album , can't find the cd, it's how I have it in my Itunes, but it is the 63' Newport performance.

Roy's changing on the album Anthony posted a clip from changed my approach to drumming forever. That track, in particular.

I was lucky enough to see Roy a couple years ago with his Fountain Of Youth band at the Detroit Jazz Festival. It is IMPOSSIBLE to believe he's in his late 80s now.

I get to see Roy with his band again in a couple months as part of the DSO's jazz series. Can't wait to hear him inside the beautiful acoustics of Orchestra Hall.

I was surfing through DW List of Top 15 Drummers of All Time and checked out Roy Haynes again after glazing through his bio some time ago.
I noticed the clip in Roy Haynes profile, "Roy Haynes The unbelievable Drum Solo, Chick Corea Freedom Band, August 2, 2010 / Marciac - France
and watched it through. His solo starts around 9:40 into the clip.http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/royhaynesfreedomband.htmlRoy was apparently 85 (going on 50)when this was filmed. This performance (from his accompanying through his solo) must be an age record for a living legend drummer -- playing with an incredible sustain of creativity and energy that could only be generated by the rarest of talents.
No wonder DW ranked him in the top 15. Maybe Billy Cobham will be around to continue playing like that when he's up there in age...
Worth watching.

You keep using this word: 'impossible'. I don'ta think it means what you think ita means.

I had a girlfriend who was a tapdancer. She used to practice brushes with me, and picked it up WAY faster than me. Roy Haynes said in an interview MD or Riley book, that he used to watch tap dancers a lot. Seems like it makes sense that some inspiration could be gleaned there. Miles wrote in his autobiography that he *in terms of drumming* used to watch boxers. All these musicians and their unique styles--who knows where all they were inspired to greatness, but THANK GOD that Roy Haynes does what he does.

Amazing.
Roy Haynes continues to defy aging. Maybe one of the oldest active (still playing live) drummers ever?

Thanks Fabio for these files, specially 2, 3, 4 are gems.

Grazie!

I remember very well being in 1973 hearing these things and thinking: "How in hell...!"

Most funk drumming I hear today (not all, some is amazing) is not funk, is just rock, back beat, music.

Long live Roy Haynes, Mike Clarke, Lenny White, etc...!

Back