more NFL exploitation?

To be honest, I'm surprised they are even paid. I thought the CFL model was the standard in that these are volunteer positions.

That being said, the sexist/discriminatory issues there are highlighted in the article are disturbing and should be fully investigated and resolved by the NFL.

i'm still amazed they don't pay taxes!

This is a partial myth.

The NFL itself doesn't make it's own income, the 32 teams make income.
The NFL doesn't pay taxes because each individual team pays taxes.

It is true the NFL as a league is tax except, but removing it's tax except status would affect very little, as the money is already taxed at the team level.

As to the story, yes, it's true, cheerleaders are treated pretty poorly and under paid, yet for some odd reason, hundreds of women audition to become cheerleaders for every team every year. One would think that with such poor pay and poor working conditions, people would just stop applying for the job!

It's kind of like the music business, no matter how much musicians are under paid and treated poorly, thousands of musicians are still willing to take the gigs.

first they don't want to pay for half-time musicians, now underpaying the cheerleaders
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/are-nfl-cheerleaders-being-exploited-1.2754361

i'm still amazed they don't pay taxes!

If they really wanted to, they could revamp the league as purely entertainment (ala WWF), and even go as far as charging players to play (make them cover some of their expenses).

There's a lot of athletes who'd play in the NFL for TV exposure and less pay, I think its time to exploit those types. The NFL needs to change with the times, get rid of the prima donna high dollah athletes, no need to spend million$ a year on some player who could injury out the first game.

The economy being what it is, why isn't the NFL cutting athletes pay? Time to dumb down the worlds dumbest sport. So, the star athletes will cry a little, where else they going to go, what else they going to do?

The sheeple will still watch, they'll watch 'anything' that's heavily promoted on TV, in the media.

Ya the high dollars in sport/athletes is truly getting out of hand. I mean c'mon, paying $10+ million for a player whose season is half a year.
I'd really like to see the budget of one of these organizations, you know, money in versus money out. There must be a ton of money made somewhere to cover these salaries.

The NFL itself doesn't make it's own income, the 32 teams make income.
The NFL doesn't pay taxes because each individual team pays taxes.

This is like saying "McDonalds Corp doesn't make the money/pay the taxes, the franchisees do" And it's 100% incorrect.

The teams make their own money through ticket/concession/parking sales in the stadium, and local radio broadcasting. This is part of the reason teams all began scrambling to house themselves in luxury box and PSL rich facilities after the collective bargaining agreement of the 90s put a damper on the individuality of their cash streams.

The billions and billions taken in from DirecTV, CBS, FOX, NBC mega TV deals, team apparel/brand licensing, and just about everything else involving selling their product to the national audience is taken in and controlled by the NFL itself, who takes their operating and investment (profit) cut...and then distributes the bulk back to their teams in what is supposed to be a fully equal form of revenue sharing. America's favorite sport is at it's fundamental core, run as a communist entity. Go figure.

They aren't given a tax free status because of the way their business is actually structured. I think it's just a similar arrangement as the nefarious backroom dealings and palm greasings that Major League Baseball made decades ago to be granted a completely government condoned monopoly and exemption from anti-trust legislation.

Could be worse, they could bring in dope testing and that would kill the whole thing over night ; - )

Could be worse, they could bring in dope testing and that would kill the whole thing over night ; - )

I like the ethical conundrum the NFL just found itself in by banning Josh Gordon for a year for smoking some weed, but giving Ray Rice a two game sitdown for knocking his wife out cold.

Weed not OK for NFL, but steroids are?

They "officially" test for both, and the penalties are roughly the same for each infraction.....but I would guess they're in no big hurry to keep up with the latest and greatest test beating PEDs.

ZEkhWKG.jpg

The real exploitation goes a little deeper than a few musicians and cheer leaders being ripped off. ;)

But yes, that is how it goes.

LOL, I love it Brian good on you. Democrats, republicans, conservatives, liberals etc etc all have no idea how to respond to statements like that.

Politics... are those the keys of a thread lock I hear jingling?

lol, I know. I'd like to see the discussion continue as well. It seems as though politics has a way of working it's way into many discussion these days. Something I've had to be on-guard about especially in the workplace.

Regarding the NFL, it really amazed me last year when the Superbowl came to New Orleans (blackout!) and how they basically arrived and told local leaders how the city was to be run while they were in town. Homeless and beggars magically vanished that week. They carry a lot of weight. Money talks.

Back