Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Thanks, and make sure you pay attention to the tempo and time signature on that solo... it's very deceptive. Sounds like 11/4 @165bpm, but if you think of it as 19/16 @41bpm, it's much easier.

Bermuda

Glad you cleared that up, Bermuda. I was really struggling!

BTW, I picked up the new DVD when it came out - very fun!! Found the drum solo in the bonus features.
Great stuff, thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Bermuda!

I saw Weird Al back in the late 90s or early 00s when you guys came to Vancouver, BC and I must say that it was one of the slickest, most well produced and "pro" shows I've ever seen. The whole band was killer and your playing -as always- was spot on. It must be a great gig getting to do so many different styles and always adopting new tunes and sounds.

I don't think Al gets nearly as much respect for his voice as he should, it's really great and you all put on a heck of a show.

Cheers!

Thanks, and we still encounter the 'novelty' label, as if Al singing different lyrics somehow makes the band, production, and his voice less legit. Watching the Blu-Ray of the concert, I was reminded just how much we evolve on every tour, and how enjoyable the show is even for the people who don't start out as fans. I suppose that's why we've been recording and touring for over 28 years with no signs of slowing down. There are precious few artists/bands with that kind of longevity, still making new music, and having top-10 albums this far into their career. Funny lyrics aside, this is an amazing ride for all of us.

Bermuda

Hey Jon! Leesa Harrington-Squyres. Here...hope you remember me from RMMP and my husband Alex who came to hang out with you and Al in Houston. I've been playing with LEZ ZEPPELIN (nyc) for the past three years or so. Alex, unfortunately, passed away back in Feb. 09. He really enjoyed your conversations on RMMP. most of the time folks thought they were talking to me, or reading posts by me, but it was Alex...
I just wanted to say hello and if you're ever up NYC way, give me a shout! I would love to see you!
Leesa
WWW.eleesae.com

In all fairness, it would only take two people to replace me. If one of them happens to be a drummer, that's a plus. :)

Bermuda

I think the video speaks for itself! But it was also our first time in NYC, we ate at Ray's pizza (the real Ray's...) and I got paid more money than ever before for a single performance! Samsonite provided an equipment tech for me. Good times.

That's "Another One Rides The Bus", and yes. It's Al's first accordion case, although I modified it with his permission. Still suitable for the Rock Hall, or worth a bunch of money from an eager Al fan. :)

Bermuda

I hate to post this so soon, but this popped into my head.

Do you go by Bermuda because Bermuda Shorts sounds like Bermuda Schwatz?

It seems so obvious. Why isn't that a clothing line!!!!!?????

I hate to post this so soon, but this popped into my head.

Do you go by Bermuda because Bermuda Shorts sounds like Bermuda Schwatz?

It seems so obvious. Why isn't that a clothing line!!!!!?????

There was a sportswear company called Burmy's back in the '80s, no relation but we did get a bunch of cool shirts from them! :)

But yes, Bermuda Schwartz sounds like "shorts". But I wasn't the first. Many years ago on the Bullwinkle Show, Dr. Bermuda Schwartz had invented a silent bomb - the Hush-A-Bomb (Hush-A-Boom?)

There's also a book by Bob Morris called Bermuda Schwartz, published maybe 8 years ago. When he was promoting it, everyone asked if it was about the drummer. He had no idea what they were talking about, looked me up, and invited me to a signing in L.A. I showed up and was the guest of honor, and was given a signed book! Trust me, authors usually get only a dozen comped books, so that was pretty cool.

BTW, Bermuda appears on my driver license, credit cards and bank accounts. :)

Bermuda

A good friend of mine took his nephew to see Weird Al last night at the Lowell Auditorium. They loved it. I asked him what he thought of the drummer:

"The show was great! the drummer was cool... 2 drum solos. Each one consisting of a single hit. *lol*"

-John

BTW, Bermuda appears on my driver license, credit cards and bank accounts. :)

Bermuda

Your cool quotient has just gone way up in my book! :)

Do you do the studio work for al too?

I've never heard a song by Wierd Al that I didn't like or think was hilarious.

It's funby as Wierd Al has that 'novelty' label like you's aren't a real band yet you play a much more diverse list of styles than most bands and you's always absolute nail the sound.
Not easy to do.

So how much input do you have in the studio if it is you and do they ask you how to get the same sound on drums ad the song you're doing a parody of or is that the engineers job?

Bit of both I'd imagine.

Take care and keep it real!

Do you do the studio work for al too?

I've never heard a song by Wierd Al that I didn't like or think was hilarious.

It's funby as Wierd Al has that 'novelty' label like you's aren't a real band yet you play a much more diverse list of styles than most bands and you's always absolute nail the sound.
Not easy to do.

So how much input do you have in the studio if it is you and do they ask you how to get the same sound on drums ad the song you're doing a parody of or is that the engineers job?

Bit of both I'd imagine.

Take care and keep it real!

Yep, all me on the records since 1980, and thanks!

The sounds are at least 90% me, and the rest is up to the engineer if necessary. I'm basically on my own in terms of sounds, whether it's acoustic drums & cymbals, or samples (I also do all of the drum programming/sound-design as required.)

We get plenty of respect, particularly from fellow recording artists. They know full well how difficult it can be recreating parts and sounds to the extent that we do. I was very flattered when one of my heroes said he couldn't do what I do, and another major drumming star said that I'm "a great drummer" :)

Bermuda

Yep, all me on the records since 1980, and thanks!

The sounds are at least 90% me, and the rest is up to the engineer if necessary. I'm basically on my own in terms of sounds, whether it's acoustic drums & cymbals, or samples (I also do all of the drum programming/sound-design as required.)

We get plenty of respect, particularly from fellow recording artists. They know full well how difficult it can be recreating parts and sounds to the extent that we do. I was very flattered when one of my heroes said he couldn't do what I do, and another major drumming star said that I'm "a great drummer" :)

Bermuda

Great stuff man, I envy you, you've definitely got one of the coolest, most diverse gigs going.

I used to record covers of random band songs from different styles, played the drums, piano and programmed bass and other bits just so I could learn HOW these guys got their sounds and see how close I could get it.
It's a fine art and not easy to do so respect, I think you's nail the sounds.

Al must be great fun to be around too!

Back