Songs with that "POW!!!!" moment

Wings "Live & Let Die". When the tempo picks up, leading to "what does it matter ya, when you gotta job to do..." etc. Axl Rose couldn't capture that but nice of GNR to try.

ps. honorable mention to producer George Martin for his score.

I still remember exactly where I was at and exactly what I was doing the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. Rock radio really sucked the big one in those days. It was the infusion rock n' roll needed at exactly the right time. The part that goes "with the lights out, it's less dangerous..." was the POW moment for me, and Grohl's drumming was perfect.

I also agree on all the others. How about White Room right where Clapton tears into his solo?

bohemian rhapsody_---------------------

The last half of Threshold of Transformation by Isis. It's dark, beautiful and atmospheric and it just builds and builds to a massive climax, and then...POW it's over, tension releases. It cuts of perfectly, and you won't see it coming.

Styx - Renegade Nice harmonic vocal part at the beginning, then POW! rock 'n roll....

Led Zeppelin - Fool in the Rain The honkey tonk piano part in the middle of the song, right after the rape whistle.

George Thorogood - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer When he goes to his local bar and the bar tender asks him what he wants. Great shift in attitude in that song. Love the change right there.

I think a really good POW moment occurs in the ending track of Blue Smoke going into Do me a Favor by Stone Sour. The ending bass line in Blue Smoke just builds and builds with a ride pattern on top of it until it explodes into Do me a Favor. It makes me sit back in my seat whenever i listen to it.

A second for "In the Air Tonight",but my all time fave is the outro of "Won't Get Fooled Again".A short synthesizer solo,then Keiths manic drum fills,into the snare only fill/cymbal crash,and then the rest of the band comes in with Townsends huge power chord,and Roger Daltrys rock scream of "yeah !!!!".The greatest of any human being /front man on the planet.

If that isn't a POW moment,you must be taking a dirt nap.:)

Steve B

When Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Everyday" changes tempo and heads for home! KILLER! POW!!!

Rock On!

MT

Fine, I guess I'll have to say it.

Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight", the classic tom fill that ushers in the middle chorus. At clubs, parties, in the car, and even in some restaurants, everyone pounds out (or at least air drums) that fill!

Bermuda

Agreed.

Status Quo "In The Army Now" similar tom fill.

The Porcaro tom fill in 'When A Man Loves A Woman'

The snare hit when "Wrapped Around Your Finger" by The Police goes into double time.

More than a few of these on Dire Straits' "Love Over Gold". "Telegraph Road" and the title cut have some great, dynamic POW moments.

When Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Everyday" changes tempo and heads for home! KILLER! POW!!!

Rock On!

MT

Yes yes. By far the best Chicago song. Inexplicable how Peter Cetera wimped out later in life. Thanks David Foster!!!

Also shout out to Styx The Best of Times. "..And I know when world just passed my by, baby I know..." Saw Dennis DeYoung last year and man if that song doesn't get me every time. Classic stuff.

A couple of my POW moments in songs
Forplay/Longtime by Boston. That intro always gets me!
Magic man by Heart.
Dream on by Areosmith.

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, the POW moment is where the ...err ...the tubular bells kicks in :)

Also the drum intro by Bonzo in Stairway to Heaven...

Back