A week In 'Nawlins?

aydee

Platinum Member

Guys,

planning a family holiday this summer to New Orleans. The old girl, and my 17 & 20 yr old boys ( both are musicans ).

... where to stay, what to do, where to eat, what to hear...

Is a week too long? too short? Is it too hot in June?

Im on a average budget.. not Trump-like but not bottom- feeding either..

Any tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It depends on what type of music you like. The aquarium and zoo are nice. So is the Riverwalk. I will be going to New Orleans on May 3 to see Gov't Mule. Peace and goodwill.

I've spent two weeks in Nola every summer since I was 14. I am 21 now.

I stay at the Country Inn off Magazine street. A VERY safe location and great hotel. It is a block from famous Canal Street and a few blocks thus from Bourbon street. The French quarter is the place to be. You have all the parks, piers and parties at walking distance. Cafe Beignet is my favorite Bourbon street happening. It is a beignet and po-boy restaurant with outdoor live jazz music. I know the area quite well surprisingly.

In June it shouldn't be bad, I went there in mid July and August the last few years and that was hell to this Coloradan. What is this thing called humidity?

It depends on what type of music you like. The aquarium and zoo are nice. So is the Riverwalk. I will be going to New Orleans on May 3 to see Gov't Mule. Peace and goodwill.

Jazz, funk, and pretty much anything else with a groove.. G'mule heck of a band.. would love to see Derek Trucks play, but I dont show up till much later. Thanks Mark, and have a great time at the gig!

I've spent two weeks in Nola every summer since I was 14. I am 21 now.

I stay at the Country Inn off Magazine street. A VERY safe location and great hotel. It is a block from famous Canal Street and a few blocks thus from Bourbon street. The French quarter is the place to be. You have all the parks, piers and parties at walking distance. Cafe Beignet is my favorite Bourbon street happening. It is a beignet and po-boy restaurant with outdoor live jazz music. I know the area quite well surprisingly.

In June it shouldn't be bad, I went there in mid July and August the last few years and that was hell to this Coloradan. What is this thing called humidity?

Great tips! I'll look them up thanks. Humidity is one ditty I dont care for either... but I guess, it gets sweaty down there. Thanks !!

Quite warm here in June (though not as awful as August) expect 80s maybe 90s during the day. Sunblock and water bottles a must.
I haven't seen a list of acts for June but you may want to start listening to WWOZ radio via streaming online. They play NOLA music and list bands playing at clubs.

Check out Mid City Rock and Bowl. They have some great acts roll through there.

I love New Orleans, but after 3 days I've usually had enough and my liver is begging for mercy.

Never been there Abe, so no advice from me. It's one place I'd really like to experience. All I have to offer is my wishes that you have a great time, & photo's/stories on your return please :)

Never been there Abe, so no advice from me. It's one place I'd really like to experience. All I have to offer is my wishes that you have a great time, & photo's/stories on your return please :)

You got it,sire! My elder one's bass teching for Etienne Mbappe, John McLaughlin's bass player for their US leg so will be catching that gig in NYC before heading out for this holiday and then onto a Uni orientation visit to the west coast.. feeling tired already : )

Thanks Andy, and here's hoping that dark cloud has lifted offa yer noggin by now...

You got it,sire! My elder one's bass teching for Etienne Mbappe, John McLaughlin's bass player for their US leg so will be catching that gig in NYC before heading out for this holiday and then onto a Uni orientation visit to the west coast.. feeling tired already : )

Thanks Andy, and here's hoping that dark cloud has lifted offa yer noggin by now...

Wow! Some good stuff going down there, & some pride in the offspring's achievements too :)

As for the noggin cloud - yes, it's another day. Thanks for asking Abe :) I played quite well at my practice (despite my mood, or maybe because of it?), & that sent me home with at least half a smile (video in "your playing" section).

You may be interested in a couple of clubs that usually have live music: Tipitina's, Snug Harbor, and (depending on your sensitivity) a walk down Borboun Street. You can catch dixieland bands playing on the steamboat Natchez as well as in some of the larger hotels.

If you're interested in history I highly recommend the WW2 Museum, it's easily accessible by walking or streetcar between "Uptown" and the French Quarter. We have a very nice zoo and aquarium also. http://www.neworleansonline.com/

Guys,

planning a family holiday this summer to New Orleans. The old girl, and my 17 & 20 yr old boys ( both are musicans ).

... where to stay, what to do, where to eat, what to hear...

Is a week too long? too short? Is it too hot in June?

Im on a average budget.. not Trump-like but not bottom- feeding either..

Any tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Crazy! I will be going to NOLA in the last half of June and I am schlepping my cocktail kit. Busking in NOLA is on my bucket list. The wife and kids 6, 12 and 15 will be with me.

I am trying to join a Facebook musicians group for this and make some contacts. I want to meet up with people and jam for a couple of hours.

Are you on FB? Maybe we can meet up!

Back