I can't get my Bass Drum Mic to work

Steven P

I just bought a Bass drum mic and I have connected it up with an Amp and I just can't get ANY sound out of it through my bass drum. The guy at the store said it would work If I set it up to a mic. I can tap it and get a sound but through my bass drum... Nope

You can tap it and get a sound? Then connections working.
Defective? Bring it back and ask.
It needs power but you should be getting that through your amp/cord.

please describe the chain of equipment used from mic to amplification source and speakers.

example:

Shure Beta 52 > Monster Low Impedance Cable > Fender Rumble 150 Bass Amp or maybe Peavey PV 10 Mixing Board and ???? speaker.

mics are best used with PA systems. Amps are moreso for instruments. Mics can be used with amps, but not ideally. only in a make-shift kind of way.

all electronics that plug into each other must match Specifications-wise. a low impedence mic requires a low impedance cable. a high impedance mic requires a high impedance cable. same goes for the amplifier/mixer. same for speakers and their mixers or amps. speakers must match wattage AND ohms.

sounds like a sorting out of your chain is in order. more info is needed, if you've got it.

Sounds like he's trying to use the bass drum itself like the pick up of a guitar.

It's never going to sound the same as a mic'd bass drum through a PA doing this.

FYI, he may have sold you a condenser mic, which may require phantom power to get the output out of it.

Back