Help Me Pick A New Car Or Truck

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Here are pics of most of the vehicles that I have owned during my life.
I am thinking about buying a new car or truck. I haven"t decided yet. I simply don't know what vehicle that I want!
Please help me pick my next vehicle and I will take your suggestions and evaluate them.
these pics are not in the order in which I have owned them. There have been many others but these are the ones that I liked the best.
I currently own the grey 2000 Chevy Silverado Truck.
I like 4 wheel drive but Im not sure if I want a truck anymore. I simply can't decide what to buy!

Attachments

• thumbnail-1.aspx.jpeg
    thumbnail-1.aspx.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 7998655IMG_1059.JPG
    7998655IMG_1059.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 102
  • bc_car-600x452.jpg
    bc_car-600x452.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 214374.jpg
    214374.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 115
  • thumbnail.aspx.jpeg
    thumbnail.aspx.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 523.jpg
    523.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1998tahoe.jpg
    1998tahoe.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I almost posted the same question. Weird...

I'm in the market for a new vehicle myself. I badly need to upgrade from my current truck; a Chevy S10. I use our Trailblazer for most gigs but would like to not have to 'borrow' my wife's main ride.

I have been thinking about (and would recommend for you) a mid-size to full-size truck. I just think it would be a lot easier to haul all the drum gear to the gig in a truck.

It also depends on your local weather. I currently live in Nebraska where a truck (particularly a 4 wheel drive) would come in handy during the winter months.

By the way, you've owned some pretty sweet rides over the years.

if you like 4x4's but don't want a truck i would either go jeep cherokee on the bigger side, on the smaller side i hear from a lot of folks that those little subaru baja's are awesome little 4 wheelers, lots of people are using them to convert into rock crawlers and such and still enough room to carry a drum kit. maybe a touring van, ford econoline or something. if you want sporty get a camero and mount a trailer hitch to it for the kit, or maybe a 70's ranchero or something like that.

personally i would go for a truck also

I simply can't decide what I want.
I thought of a small truck but after owning a Tahoe and a Silverado, I feel that a small truck will be to confining for me.
Perhaps a crossover SUV is right for me.
I have been thinking about looking at a new Chevy Traverse.
I like the style lines of that small SUV. It appears to be wide also. I like that.

Attachments

• 2011-Chevrolet-Traverse-Pics.jpg
    2011-Chevrolet-Traverse-Pics.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 99
those are nice rides, real smooth soft suspension. kinda feels like floating as oppossed to the harder suspension of a truck where you feel all the bumps. i would compare it closer to a higher end sadan with cargo room rather then an suv. but good choice...

Hey Bob, since you like to use those really small kits with the shallow bass drums, I'm thinking a Smart Car. If you need more space, stack another one on top!

What I drive now.
This. Great drummers car. Extremely bad gas mileage. Fit the drums and PA no problem.
Big balls and very comfortable. Mine is a 2000. driving it for 10 years without issue.
photo.php

And this on nice days. Extreme fun. Fits me and one pair of sticks. Mine is an 07. Driving since new. Not my girl though she would do nicely!
158332250_fae99576ff.jpg

This is what I want for next drummers car. Will be carrying no PA systems though.
Mini-Clubman_2008_800x600_wallpaper_09.jpg

If the ultimate car and the ultimate truck had a baby, it would be the Cadillac Escalade..

If the ultimate car and the ultimate truck had a baby, it would be the Cadillac Escalade..
And this from a man of taste? Suspension from a 1940's hay cart & interior trim made from recycled Betamax cases.

Edit: I have one of these for my drums & stuff. 2007 2.2 turbo diesel Honda CRV. Nice wide & flat load bay area. 45MPG! And being Japanese, ultra reliable. I know it's not patriotic, but it works, every time!

Attachments

• crv.jpg
    crv.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 86
What I really want for my next vehicle is a classic hearse. I've wanted one for a long time. The problem is that my wife would NEVER ride in it, so I could only get it if I'd be okay with not being able to drive her anywhere, lol.

She also won't set foot in a cemetery. When I want to check one out she does something else, or sits in the car.

Sometimes I have us visit places that are supposed to be haunted, but I just don't tell her. I say I'm interested in it for some other reason.

(I'm a huge horror fan, a fan of the whole "aesthetic" and fantastical aspects of all of that stuff, etc.)

Anyway, so here's my suggestion:

Chevy_Hearse_Main.JPG

Or:

Hoczyk54Hearse.jpg

Or even this, but it's not good for long distances:

hearse.jpg

This one is cool:

hearse1.jpg

Or if you ever go muddin':

hearse.jpg

And this from a man of taste? Suspension from a 1940's hay cart & interior trim made from recycled Betamax cases.

Edit: I have one of these for my drums & stuff. 2007 2.2 turbo diesel Honda CRV. Nice wide & flat load bay area. 45MPG! And being Japanese, ultra reliable. I know it's not patriotic, but it works, every time!

We can't get the turbo diesel model here in the states! I wish we could.

These newer cars make me nervous with all of the stupid back up cameras and chimes that go off when you get close to something. Doors that auto lock, Low tire lights, Stability/Traction Control. Buttons all over the steering wheel. Wipers that come on by themselves! Come On!
I despise all that crap!

I used to like German cars back when because they were Mans Cars.
Big steering wheel, Interior that wasn't loaded with cup holders, They didn't have seats that blow air up your butt, and designer colors and crap that I don't care about. The engines always made a lot of weird noise but ran like a Panzer Tank.
They were something that Attila the Hun would be proud of.

No One makes a regular car anymore. They are all over engineered with plastic crap.
These idiots even cover the engine with a large piece of plastic that has to be removed for service.
No Man would ever cover something as cool as an engine with a slab of plastic with stupid stuff written all over it!

What has happened to the world?
Who really wants all this crap in their car?

The more that I look, The less I like!

Oh Yea, What was wrong with 15 inch wheels?

These newer cars make me nervous with all of the stupid back up cameras and chimes that go off when you get close to something. Doors that auto lock, Low tire lights, Stability/Traction Control. Buttons all over the steering wheel.
I despise all that crap!

No One makes a regular car anymore. They are all over engineered with plastic crap.
These idiots even cover the engine with a large piece of plastic that has to be removed for service.
No Man would ever cover something as cool as an engine with a slab of plastic with stupid stuff written all over it!

What has happened to the world?
Who really wants all this crap in their car?

The more that I look, The less I like!

Oh Yea, What was wrong with 15 inch wheels?
Oh yeah, with you on all that Bob. I hate all the silly crap, & cheap plastics really get my back up. What's wrong with a nice painted steel dash & trim? BTW, most of those pathetic so called safety things, are a direct result of your litigation driven society. Chimes--"Oh, I didn't realise I had to stop the car before I get out", Plastic engine cover---"Oh look, an engine, I think I'll just warm up my planet sized butt on that", "Ooo, I can trim my nails in that nice spinny fan thingy" Safety signs---- "objects may be closer than they appear", no shit, it's a mirror!!!

A friend of mine ran into a deep pothole.
Minor wheel alignment adjustment was all that was needed to repair the suspension. $100

It cost $1200 to replace the drivers seat belt and related components because the auto retraction system deployed from the impact.

Another friend of mine had to spend $1100 because one of the 24000 volt headlamps wouldn't work. The whole assembly has to be replaced. Not just the transformer that burned out.
Why do I need a 24000 volt headlamp? I never have trouble seeing with my 12 volt $8 headlamps.

Im starting to think that my 10 year old truck will be fine for a while longer.

A friend of mine ran into a deep pothole.
Minor wheel alignment adjustment was all that was needed to repair the suspension. $100

It cost $1200 to replace the drivers seat belt and related components because the auto retraction system deployed from the impact.

Another friend of mine had to spend $1100 because one of the 24000 volt headlamps wouldn't work. The whole assembly has to be replaced. Not just the transformer that burned out.
Why do I need a 24000 volt headlamp? I never have trouble seeing with my 12 volt $8 headlamps.

Im starting to think that my 10 year old truck will be fine for a while longer.
You're right Bob. If your present truck is reliable, keep it. The biggest auto cost is almost always depreciation, & if you don't want the latest features, why the hell pay for them.

I bought my truck 10 years ago because I was slowly gutting and remodeling my house.
I don't need the truck anymore so I was thinking of changing to a more compact vehicle.
It is hard to street park my truck when I play city gigs.
Also I have to load the drums from the side. Not always practical when parked between cars in a parking lot.
I just thought that a hatch back 4WD would be a nice change.
I only drive about 12000 miles a year.

The other thing is that my truck is low cost to repair. Most repairs only take about 1 or 2 hours.
Everything is accessible under the hood.
The smaller vehicles that I am looking at take 3 times the hours to repair.

Last edited:
I bought my truck 10 years ago because I was slowly gutting and remodeling my house.
I don't need the truck anymore so I was thinking of changing to a more compact vehicle.
It is hard to street park my truck when I play city gigs.
Also I have to load the drums from the side. Not always practical when parked between cars in a parking lot.
I just thought that a hatch back 4WD would be a nice change.
I only drive about 12000 miles a year.
The Honda CRV does a great job. Cheap to run, reliable, comfortable, & a perfect load area for drums. Even the petrol (gas) version is economical. You can pick them up for not too much money too. Maybe little street cred, but hey, it's convenient wheels without all the bells & whistles.

Back