Chris "Daddy" Dave

Along with ?uestlove, Mark Guiliana and Brian Blade; "Daddy" Dave is one of my favourites. I still don't understand why he doesn't get more attention.

U got a fine taste my man ! I'd list the exact same names.

And I'm so glad to see more people are into Chris, in my opinion the HOTTEST drummer out there, bringin a whole new vibe and rhythmic vision.

He deserves all the best, including a page out here

Peace

It most definately would! Way overdue! Listening to Maxwell's new album as we speak... The fill on 'Stop the World' @ 2:47 just makes me smile! it's so fresh to hear.

While i'm on here - i'd love it if drummers would befriend me @ myspace.com/chrisbootdrums

3rd. Get Chris on the site. Also Damien Schmitt who plays with Jean Luc Ponty and Zap mama.

Without a doubt. Chris Dave is killer. I have never heard such rim-click finesse. His ability to warp rhythms with metric modulation is up there wit them best of them too.

I think it's about time Dave King gets a page as well as Tony Allen (couple of my favs there).

I see someone got the cover of Modern Drummer! Even better, there is a great shot of him wearing this T-Shirt that says, "I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

It is a great article. I really like that he is deep into music history.

i watched some videos of him. i'd say he's really pushing the state of the art with jazz drumming! i've never heard anyone quite like him.

17974_468405440493_635000493_11011229_7900996_n.jpg

Met Chris Dave @ Ronnie Scott's this week. Sat so close I could've touched his cymbal stand. Truly enlightening.

The interview in MD was incredible and eye-opening. How many drummers think or operate like this guy nowadays? Probably less than a handful, and likely only one!

Hes coming to my home town with robert glasper soon, I don't find him spectacular, but I will see him. His stuff does have some underlining....importance, but i just think he fills bars whenever he can. I am not being any bit racist AT ALL, but his playing does represent much of the rap/hip hop live playing of today with the likes of mos def and the co. I can't think of many drummers like him, but....lets say, spanky. They seem to fill bars and sub divide whenever they can, I suppose a modern equilivalt of, say, Tony williams? I dunno, just not as appealing to me as jojo or stanton moore. I will say though, I haven't heard him play much. I will see him though, of course! does anyone have any groove playing of him?

I disagree. check him out playing "nefertiti" on youtube. i mean you might not like him, its a taste thing, but he certainly does not just fill every bar to the max.

Does anyone know who Chris studied with? Im really interested to know more about his background..

From the MD issue I have

MD: Who were your influences in terms of developing your technique?

Chris: My first teacher was albums. I started playing with albums when I got my first drumset at the age of five or six. I did that for years. Then I had a middle school teacher, Craig Green in Houston, who was really important in terms of learning technique. He was a mentor and the first person who I saw playing that made me go "Wow!" every day.

I studied with Craig at one school for a year, and when he transferred across town because of the magnet school program, I transferred to that next school just so I could keep studying with him. He was real thorough and made sure we understood the importance of rudiments, sight-reading, four-way coordination, different time signatures, and everything like that.

Through Craig, I met Sebastian Whittaker. Sebastian is one of those guys who never really got the shine he deserves, but everybody who goes through Houston knows who he is. To this day, Sebastian is that dude where if you're on a gig and he walks in, you automatically get a little nervous to play in front of him. He's a guy who could play anything. You can take any rudiment in the book, and he will play it backwards, forward, and with all kinds of variations. He'll take any rudiment and will go from playing it real slow, where it almost sounds like he can't play, to super-fast, and he'll go from a whisper to a roar and back down to a whisper without losing any speed. And he did that using the over-size marching-corps drumsticks. He could go through different drummers and solos, especially stuff from Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, and Philly Joe. He could emulate any legendary drummer's style.

please add chris dave already. why is he not in yet? is it because he hasnt performed with as many people as others? please add him.

"Does anyone know who Chris studied with? Im really interested to know more about his background.. "

I really don't have an idea about that person but maybe you can google him.

-----------------
Day Planners For You

Last edited:

A lot of people on this forum dont like his playing and find it too this or too that, and thats ok.

But for me just the fact that guys like him, Mark Guiliana, Thomas Pridgeon are taking this drumset into a new and unexplored space which is fresh. The BMX of drumming..
May the Lord save us from drummers that go unnoticed, like ships in the night. Easy listening be dammed. Give me stuff I can love or hate.

The interview was MDfeb 2010 issue.

Last edited:
Finally!

Who`s your daddy? Well, he is such a fresh voice. Responding to the call of the ancestors with a contemporary 'Sure'.

Thank you for adding him to the list Bernhard!

PS: JoJo is listening to him on the far left in the 105 Rivington video...

Karl

Back