Yamaha Live Custom Series 2013

Nice! Thicker plies, & less of them, will always deliver more tone. I like oak as a tone wood. I prefer it to birch for that "scooped" EQ sound, & oak delivers live too if you don't mind a few overtones in your sound (gives the drums some life IMO). Generally, I find oak works well if tuned up a bit + nice & open with single ply heads. It doesn't work so well if you like highly muffled heads.

Anyone know if these will be offered alongside the regular Oak Customs?

Also, if Oaks are supposed to be pretty loud to begin with - they're promoted that way anyways - is there really a demand to try and make them louder. Or is it just another marketing gimmick?

.... is there really a demand to try and make them louder. Or is it just another marketing gimmick?

You uses whatever is available to be used, you don't need a reason, just have use whatever is available. If OAK LIVE is louder, you push it, whatever it is, the goal is create an illusion of something different, something you don't have... then hopefully you'll want to buy it.

Flash a lot of teeth, make it at least look interesting, people will find subtle differences and that's what they count on to sell. Everyone wants to be part of a good thing.

.... the goal is create an illusion of something different, something you don't have... then hopefully you'll want to buy it.

Flash a lot of teeth, make it at least look interesting, people will find subtle differences and that's what they count on to sell..

spkr-johngood.jpg

spkr-johngood.jpg

Got to say, I'm a fan of the green fade finish (similar to the one we last saw on the Rock Tours).

Nice! Thicker plies, & less of them, will always deliver more tone. I like oak as a tone wood. I prefer it to birch for that "scooped" EQ sound, & oak delivers live too if you don't mind a few overtones in your sound (gives the drums some life IMO). Generally, I find oak works well if tuned up a bit + nice & open with single ply heads. It doesn't work so well if you like highly muffled heads.

Are the Live Customs fewer plies? According the Yamaha website, the specs of the Oak Live Customs are the following:

• bass drums: 8ply / 9.6mm
  • toms, floors, and snares: 6ply / 7.2mm
  • bearing edge: 45 degree R1.5

The Live Customs are also made in China, according to their badges, so I'm guessing they will be considered more affordable than the Absolutes, RCs, and PHX lines?

But not made in Japan like the original Oak Customs. The Live Custom badge reads, "Made in China."

That should place them in a lower price range than the Oak Customs then.

EDIT: moved into the slot between the Stage Customs and Oak Customs formerly held by the discontinued Rock Tour? That'd be slick.

I wonder how that 'Dark Silver Finished Hardware' will hold up in the long run?

Last edited:
It makes sense, Yamaha is just following suit. First they introduced the Tour Custom to allow those to enjoy an all maple shell at a lower price point than the MC's. Then the Stage Custom birch came along and allowed those to enjoy an all birch shell at a lower price point than the RC's. I would imagine that they applied the same principle in thinking here. I would imagine that this will allow those that would like to explore the opportunity of having an all oak shell that might not have been able to afford to do so before at the Oak Custom price point a chance to do so.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/namm-2013-yamaha-unveils-live-custom-drum-kit-570164

"....Live Custom drum sets (Estimated RRP from £1672 inc vat ) are scheduled to ship May 2013..."

1672 pounds = $2,641.43 USD (if I'm reading that right).

No mention of what configuration that's for, although the pic shows a 5 piece.

Here's another one: http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/index.php/news/read/namm-day-2-yamaha-announces-live-custom-drums/017342

Time will tell, but something about it doesn't sound right to me

I literally just got back from seeing them in person.

They are replacing the oak custom.

Yes, made in china.

Yes, they will cost less than the Oak Custom.

The point of "why are they louder?" is you can get away with a huge deep sound out of smaller drums.

The 14X22 sounds huge!!

The 20" bass drum sounds like a 22".

There did seem to be diminishing returns when going up in size, in that they had an 18X24, and IMHO it didn't sound as big or as good as the smaller bass drums.

Only 4 finishes, but they all look great in person.

I told my Yamaha guy I'm seriously considering one.

I literally just got back from seeing them in person.

They are replacing the oak custom.

Yes, made in china.

Yes, they will cost less than the Oak Custom.

The point of "why are they louder?" is you can get away with a huge deep sound out of smaller drums.

The 14X22 sounds huge!!

The 20" bass drum sounds like a 22".

There did seem to be diminishing returns when going up in size, in that they had an 18X24, and IMHO it didn't sound as big or as good as the smaller bass drums.

Only 4 finishes, but they all look great in person.

I told my Yamaha guy I'm seriously considering one.

Sounds pretty cool.. That kick is more or less same thickness as the original Maple Custom.. as are the toms..

Back