Rubber bass drum beaters?

I've heard rumors of rubber beaters melting and consecutively sticking into the batter head under the stress of a lengthy blast beat session...

I've heard rumors of rubber beaters melting and consecutively sticking into the batter head under the stress of a lengthy blast beat session...

melting? is your bass drum an oven? my rubber beaters have never even gotten a mark on them from months of use

i use Tama rubber beaters and i love the sound the produce. wood is too clicky. and felt i just dont dig as much. idk hot to describe the rubber. i guess its a lot more punchy and louder than my iron cobra felt beaters (but the type of felt also matters).

as for rebound i would say yes that you may get some more.

Here's my custom (home made) rubber ball beater and it had rebound like no other. it was crazy but funny on how you could gain speed.

custom_beater4.jpg

Hahah that is an awesome custom beater! I bet that bounces like a basketball, how is the sound? Jazzy or Rock/metal or just for fun?

There is no way in hell you could possibly heat up a rubber beater enough to melt one, especially if speed kings like george kollias can blast like he does without this happening. However, i could see them potentially cracking with drastic temperature changes like going from freezing outside to a heavily heated bldg.

Has anyone used a rubber beater against a solid beater patch like the Danmar Power Disk or the evans AF patch?

I've used hard rubber beaters in the past, nice & meaty. I also tried a spongy beater which was a waste of money. It felt really weird, and sounded really soft.

These days however...
trickbtr.jpg

:)

Bermuda

I've used hard rubber beaters in the past, nice & meaty. I also tried a spongy beater which was a waste of money. It felt really weird, and sounded really soft.

These days however...
trickbtr.jpg

Bermuda

That doesn't look like my trick beater hmmm.. maybe I need to do some shopping!

They should make inflatable rubber beaters, like little basketballs. Then you could fill it with as much pressure as you want, to get the feel you want. You guys give me so many ideas.

These days however...
trickbtr.jpg

Bermuda

so,,, something tells me that you paly jazz and love a nice soft feel and sound... xD

so,,, something tells me that you paly jazz and love a nice soft feel and sound... xD

That beater will put an end to jazz once and for all!

It comes with the Trick Dominator and feels great! Nice oomph without all the weight.

Bermuda

Awesome!!!!! So Derrick in your experience, have you used any metal/plastic kick pads instead of triggers to get a similar effect? Also, wouldn't rubber beaters be acoustically quieter and maybe a little quicker to rebound than say a metal/plastic/wood against a solid kick pad (danmar power disk/evans af/etc)?

I have an idea! For jazz, you could use a marshmallow as your bass drum beater. Of course, your kick would need to be mic'ed, but it would provide a soft, spongy, delicate, puffy, sweet sound on the bass.

Also, wouldn't rubber beaters be acoustically quieter and maybe a little quicker to rebound than say a metal/plastic/wood against a solid kick pad (danmar power disk/evans af/etc)?

A softer rubber beater is quieter, and provides a very unnatural rebound (imagine playing with spongy sticks.) A hard rubber beater isn't much different than any other hard beater, except it may provide more oomph because it's denser.

As for hard rubber rebound, that would only work against a hard surface. Even if you put a disk on the head, the head itself 'gives' and soaks up a lot of the momentum of the beater. Even with a few pillows inside, the head isn't solid enough to give much of a rebound advantage.

Bermuda

I use superballs (large) mounted on shafts. They rebound only a little more than felt and they have a fat sound with plenty of chomp. One one side of the superballs I put a dab of fuzzy velcro for times when I want a little less definition I can turn them around.

The trade off is that they aren't as loud as solid wood but I've been playing 25 years and I've never, ever heard anyone ask a drummer to play louder.

There is no way in hell you could possibly heat up a rubber beater enough to melt one, especially if speed kings like george kollias can blast like he does without this happening. However, i could see them potentially cracking with drastic temperature changes like going from freezing outside to a heavily heated bldg.
Actually, George regulary has his rubber beaters melt and leave a residue on drum heads. He has said so himself, and posted a picture of it.

I've had my Pearl Quad Beater melt on the the "sharp" plastic side once, though never on the "fat" plastic side. I would guess it has to do with the size of the contact surface.

Actually, George regulary has his rubber beaters melt and leave a residue on drum heads. He has said so himself, and posted a picture of it.

I've had my Pearl Quad Beater melt on the the "sharp" plastic side once, though never on the "fat" plastic side. I would guess it has to do with the size of the contact surface.

Wow, i'd like to see that picture...i never would think that could happen but i guess all the built up heat from blasting doesn't have much chance to dissipate and over time they wear out just like anything else.

I use the sharp plastic side of my mapex beaters and i can see what you mean, the surface has melted/worn down somewhat over time.

Back