Tama Superstar Hyperdrive - I'm in Love

NIMBY

my new kit came yesterday, a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive in a Brushed Vintage Blue wrap

it is seriously one of the most beautiful kits to play and it sounds so good, even with the crappy stock heads!
although i will be putting coated ambassadors on all the tom batters very soon...
also the roadpro hardware i got with it is great, very sturdy.
all i need is a double tom stand now.

Specs:
10x6.5
12x7
14x12
16x14
22x18

Snares
Pearl Joey Jordison Sig. - 13x6.5
Tama Superstar - 14x5.5

Cymbals
- all Zildjian
14" ZBT HiHats (changing soon)
16" A Custom Crash
8" ZXT Splash (changing soon)
21" A Sweet Ride (brilliant finish)
16" ZBT Crash (changing soon)
14" ZXT Total Trash China (cracked, very unhappy)

P.S. the pictures are pretty bad, my drum room doesnt have a good light in it and
its not the best for getting good photos in but these will do 'til i get some decent
ones

the finish is alot more blue than what it looks in the photos, once again, very dark room!

Attachments

• P10107381.JPG
    P10107381.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 22,762
  • P10107391.JPG
    P10107391.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 22,234
  • P10107401.JPG
    P10107401.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 19,263
Great set-up there. It looks very comfortable!

I've actually been looking at these myself but cant find anywhere near me that stocks them :( oh well!

One again nice set-up!

Ad x

nice kit man! A Tama Starclassic will be my next drumkit when I've upgraded everything except my drums. After that I want a set of Kumu´s, but that´s 10 years from now :p.

Have fun playing it :). Post some pictures when you have new heads.

The brushed metal finish is awesome! How would you compare a hyperdrive sized tom to a regular full sized one ?

How would you compare a hyperdrive sized tom to a regular full sized one ?

i would say that the hyperdrive tom has definetly got more bite to it, the tone i think is a bit brighter too but that might just be the birch/basswood.

one thing is for sure though, they resonate for a lifetime! i love them dearly haha

I wonder, is the only difference between yours and mine the finish? (wrap vs lacquer)
apparently so, i checked the website and the only difference between the superstars,
superstar customs and the EFX's is the finishes,
every other feature is the same.

what head have you got on yours?
the stock heads suck bad and was thinking about some coated ambassadors, good idea?

have you ever owned a maple kit? and how does the sound of this kit compare? cause i like these kits! thanks!

Alex
i havent owned a maple kit, this being an upgrade from my first kit ( a Dixon Tempo - dunno what wood they are made from... )
but i can tell you how it sounds.

the whole kit has mass amounts of punch, especially the kick.

all the kick needed dampening-wise was a rolled up towel in the middle, not touching any of the heads - awesome boom!
(though will take it out when i get a PS3 for it)

the rack toms are warm and sharp with a very bright, clear tone

the floor toms are also very warm, i felt that the 16" floor tom was lacking in bottom end
but im fairly sure its just the crappy stock heads.

the snare i feel is just useless, i cant get anything from it but its cool because it works great as a timbale.

as a whole, the kit is awesome, i cant get over how good it sounds even with the bad heads! cant wait to get some coated ambassadors on it and really get it to sing

Last edited:
a recent room move-about made it alot better to take photos so i couldnt help myself...

last photo - as you can see, quite the upgrade...

Attachments

• P1010741.JPG
    P1010741.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 18,284
  • P1010743.JPG
    P1010743.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 18,164
  • P1010742.JPG
    P1010742.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 17,909
Cool. I ask because my neighbor is giving away a 3pc kit that looks very much like that, but the badges on his are torn off so I don't know what it is. I thought about using it as a secondary practice or gig kit. I think I'm going to give it to my band mate to use in his practice space.

Great kit, buying a tama superstar is a purchase you won't easily regret! My teacher has a Starclassic Birch and mentioned he could barely tell the difference in sound between his kit and my superstars.

Very nice looking kit. Tama really gives you the most for your dollar. Love the virgin kick. Congrats.

hey! We have some stuff in comman! I love my superstar's as well, and my Joey Jordison snare!

Back