New In-Ear Rig Completed-Need opinions/advice

DZellz

Hey everyone just finished my first In-ear rig for playing live. I just couldn't stand not being able to hear the band from the stage monitor about what seemed like 10 feet away anymore, so I built myself a rig. It consists of a SKB 4 space rack, Aphex Dominator 2 720 series, a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer for self control, and Shure 315 In-ears. I haven't used it yet, but cant wait!!! Only thing is I have to figure out what to set the limiter to so I have "brick wall" limiting and don't blow my brains out:p. Comments and Tips are helpful and wanted, let me know what I can do to improve,thanks!!!

I'm not familiar with the controls on your exact unit, but if I want complete peak limiting, I usually set the compression ratio as high up as possible such as infinity:1 and the threshold gets set to where you want the limiting to occur. When the compression is at infinity to 1, no matter how much the input level increases, the output signal stays the same.

Dennis

The settings are INPUT GAIN, LF EQ, HF EQ, RELEASE, DENSITY, FINE, AND COARSE. I need some insight on these, and what would I have to set these to to acheive that ratio? There's and attachment to the unit.

Attachments

• Dominator_front_01.jpg
    Dominator_front_01.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 498
seems overly complicated for what youre trying to accomplish. I use a Shure P4HW which does just about all you need for your EQ/Bal/limiting/volume needs. clips on your belt/plug your 1/4" earbuds into the top of the unit and the unit plugs into an xlr snake cable. done.

F

Well I needed a small mixer so I can mix in click/background tracks. I got this for about $150 used and just added the mixer. Its the same as being hardwired,just a little bigger and a little bit more control. This way I can mix what I need instead of having the house guy destroy my ears.

seems overly complicated for what youre trying to accomplish. I use a Shure P4HW which does just about all you need for your EQ/Bal/limiting/volume needs. clips on your belt/plug your 1/4" earbuds into the top of the unit and the unit plugs into an xlr snake cable. done.

F
Actually I think Im gonna sell all my other gear and invest in a Shure wired bodypack. How exactly would I get my monitor mix to the bodypack, would I need a transmitter, or can I just harwire it to the snake???

I use a shure p4hw also, easy to use, tough as nails, runs off phantom or batt, with the 2 lines in i use a front of house mix in one and my vocals in the other then adjust the mix and the volume on my body pack as needed, i have the pack on my left side so i can keep playing hats and snare with my right if i need to adjust mid song.

Last edited:
I use a shure p4hw, easy to use, tough as nails, runs off phantom or batt, with the 2 lines in i use a front of house mix in one and my vocals in the other then adjust the mix and the volume on my body pack as needed, i have the pack on my left side so i can keep playing hats and snare with my right if i need to adjust mid song.

All I would have to do is plug it in directly to the snake with the xlr right???

All I would have to do is plug it in directly to the snake with the xlr right???
yep, plus it comes with xlr to 1/4 adapters so it gives you lots of options if you happen to be somewhere where snake xlr channels are limited, I use one xlr channel and monitor out for my vocals and then use the a/b out on the board which is a front of house mix with trs out and a 1/4 line in the snake for the other and like i said earlier i can adjust the mix and volume myself as needed without bothering or waiting for the sound tech. If mine broke today I would not hesitate to buy another one asap, BTW you could even split mike signals or use the 1/4 out of a direct box, etc, if needed, the options and configurations are almost endless. Also I really like the sure ear buds with the yellow foams similar to foam ear plugs that you scrunch up and they swell back up in your ear, they seem to stay put no matter how much of a head banger you are...lol, I have the lower priced ones that originally came with them when they first started selling the set with the earbuds included and I have a really expensive pair i got for christmas one year and to be perfectly honest i cant hear much of a difference in sound quality, so id say any of the shure earbuds that take the yellow foams will do just fine. I almost forgot to mention that I only use 1 ear bud, i leave the other out so i can hear whats going on on stage plus I can hear my band mates if they try to talk to me to change up songs or something like that.

yep, plus it comes with xlr to 1/4 adapters so it gives you lots of options if you happen to be somewhere where snake xlr channels are limited, I use one xlr channel and monitor out for my vocals and then use the a/b out on the board which is a front of house mix with trs out and a 1/4 line in the snake for the other and like i said earlier i can adjust the mix and volume myself as needed without bothering or waiting for the sound tech. If mine broke today I would not hesitate to buy another one asap, BTW you could even split mike signals or use the 1/4 out of a direct box, etc, if needed, the options and configurations are almost endless. Also I really like the sure ear buds with the yellow foams similar to foam ear plugs that you scrunch up and they swell back up in your ear, they seem to stay put no matter how much of a head banger you are...lol, I have the lower priced ones that originally came with them when they first started selling the set with the earbuds included and I have a really expensive pair i got for christmas one year and to be perfectly honest i cant hear much of a difference in sound quality, so id say any of the shure earbuds that take the yellow foams will do just fine. I almost forgot to mention that I only use 1 ear bud, i leave the other out so i can hear whats going on on stage plus I can hear my band mates if they try to talk to me to change up songs or something like that.
Hey guys got my Shure P4HW in the mail today and tested it, ITS FREAKIN SWEEET!

Hey guys got my Shure P4HW in the mail today and tested it, ITS FREAKIN SWEEET!

I am glad you like it, personally I have no idea why anyone would want to spend more money than that on one, I could see going for the wireless option as a singer or guitar player but other than that how much more quality and options does one really need and are they really worth the extra cash.

Back