What does your kit say about your "drum nerdiness"?

3 splashes
1 china

That's the full monty, though. It would often be 0 or 1.

I’ve got fist sized skulls as my cymbal toppers... does that count for anything? Nerd? Dum-mass? Uncool?

Only 3 pts for a cowbell, mounted over my two kick drum-mounted rack toms. No chinas, no splashes, and no drum rack, whatsoever. Have 1 ride, two crashes and a high hat. Single pedal, too. I've always maintained that if you have two cymbal bags, you have too many cymbals.

Does my set of five wood blocks really add up to 15 points? Two gongs check, tambourine check,China, splash, wind chime, check check check.

I'm not sure how to score these, log drum, ocean drum, triangle, tamborim, two guiros, seed shakers x 2, and goat hoof shakers x 2.

How do you count two kits?

I scored a big whopping 3! Does the stuff in the closet that I can’t fit anywhere count?

It kinda depends on my setup. On my main setup I have 1 (a splash), on my small jazz setup I have 3 (a cowbell), I also own a set of congas and a gong but they're not part of any of my 'setups.' If I was to combine everything that would be 7.

I'm at 7 points with my regular setup. I have enough stuff to move into the next category, but I don't use it all. I'd love to, it's just not practical.

Damn, only at +1, due to my lone splash. Although it is mounted above a crash on one of those silly extension arms, so maybe I get more points for that? Sigh, guess it's time to mount that dayglo orange clave block that's collecting dust, and the hihat tambo, and the double bass pedals, and maybe a left-side share and ride as well....

By the original post's scale I am a solid "0".

I go up to a "3" or "4" by the updated scale on page 3, depending on the kit, because I've got custom front bass drum heads with either my initials on them or the initials of our band name (all in the traditional badge style for now, though the band ones are going to be upgraded to something slightly more graphic soon), but then lose a point on a couple of those because of a smaller than 22" kick.

Back