Internal Muffling "Oldschool"

ambientgreg

Does anyone here use internal muffling devices(as in the felt pads w/ knobs to adjust them) and have good things to say about them? Does anyone prefer those over using a thicker head or moongel etc ?Appreciate your input.

Does anyone here use internal muffling devices(as in the felt pads w/ knobs to adjust them) and have good things to say about them? Does anyone prefer those over using a thicker head or moongel etc ?Appreciate your input.

I actually like them alot. Its easy and I've never had any problems with rattling or whatever. Because I don't like ring in my snares, they work well for me. I'm not the biggest fan of thick/premuffled heads on my snare, but I have used them with decent results. I have yet to try moongel. In reality, I'm not going to refuse to buy a snare if doesn't have an internal muffler, but I don't mind them, and can see it being a selling point if I was buying a snare.

I'm actually considering putting them on my toms 10x10,10x12,12x14 . MY old pearl kit had them but it's been a loooong time since then and I'm a bit hesitant to drill to install them. I play Yamaha Recording Customs now and never plan to sell them so I may just go for it.

I would never muffle my toms, but I constructed my own little internal muffling system for my kick drum that works on the same principle, a pad pushing against the inside of the head. It also doubles as an internal mic holder.

I'm actually considering putting them on my toms 10x10,10x12,12x14 . MY old pearl kit had them but it's been a loooong time since then and I'm a bit hesitant to drill to install them. I play Yamaha Recording Customs now and never plan to sell them so I may just go for it.

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooo!

I had some old Premier snares with which the first thing I did was take the top head off and remove these instruments of satan! Adding them to a recording custom, particularly to the toms is mutilation and should be punishable by a long and lingering death. Buy some gaffa tape or moongel if you must.

I'm just sayin'....

I have removed them from every drum I have owned that has had one. One on a old Gretsch 18" floor tom rattled, which was especially noticable when miced for a PA or recording. I do not care for them at all. Peace and goodwill.

I still have them on my 65' vintage kit. Years ago one or two of them began making noise, so I just replaced the springs with heavier ones. It's been over twenty years without any rattle. I don't like vintage drums with extra holes in the shells, that's why I opted on repairing them instead of just taking them out.

Dennis

Another 'old school' method that hasn't been mentioned yet is felt strips.

I use them on my bass drum; 1 on the reso side and 2 on the batter. No other muffling on anything.

I've used them before on my old Pearl kit and liked them,without any noise issues ever. The pads muffle the drum in a way completely different from any other method. It's just the drilling thing that I'm not crazy about. Thanks for all your unput,folks.

I have and use the original one on my Tama 1980s birch snare. Because it is a 6.5" deep drum it has a bit too much ring for my liking and I find the internal muffler sounds better than a studio ring (too muffled) and it means I don't have to purchase moongel

If I was restoring a vintage kit that was already drilled for them then by all means but if I was ordering a new kit and it was available with or without them I would order it without. With all the various heads and different types of muffling devices available now why drill anymore holes in a shell than necessary.

could you list some good inexpensive snares that have those internal mufflers ?

6.5 x 14 wood or metal.

toms and bass too, if you know of any. please include the full names of the kits if you can, i'm not knowledgable enough of drum history (for example) to know what a Vintage '65 is shorthand for.

but mostly, i'm interested in a 6.5 x 14 metal snare.

thanks.

Here's my reason to possibly do this. When I go for a solo or any slightly busy fill, the notes are jumbled sounding from the resonance of the toms. My snare actually has just some duck tape in two places and I'm good with that. I tried the fin taping method and did not dig the feel. Hate moongels. Hate those "sound rings" things. And I want to stick with Remo emperor clear on the toms. I have an orphan 10x13 in a different color I may try it out on that one. These are drums that I never plan to sell,ever so, I'm not really concerned with resale value,but I think they might feel cool with that specific type of damping. If anyone has any different ideas other than gel,thicker batter heads, I'm open

Here is a true "Oldschool" fix that a true oldschool drummer showed me ...

These go under the head just like the old style movable dampers. You can get a pack (any hardware store) of multiple sizes,
first lay one or more on top of the head and just touch it with your finger lightly to see if that size is the one you need.
After you determine the size and or how many you may need to use, take the head off and apply the pad to the bottom
using the sticky on the pad ... re-install the head and tune it up.

Feltpads.jpg

Here is one installed ...

This is on a 10x12 Pearl tom that need to have a dryer less ringy sound, neat clean and no drilling required.

tompad.jpg

I'll be very interested to see how you think those work - that's a great solution using a readily available material!

Back