Sticks on the brain...

What I need is a heavier Mike Terrana with an Akira Jimbo tip. I need to hurry up and become a competent drummer so I can get my own signature stick! :)[/QUOTE]

you know you could send us those sticks and I could try to make a combination of the 2 tips

email us through the customer service email thats listed on the site

customdrumstix.BIZ

I saw another thread started today on "the perfect stick" and since I have nothing better to do today at work, I thought I'd comment on the *many* sticks I've tried in the last year.

1. VF Dave Weckl Evolution - used this stick for a long time and got very comfortable with it. It's basically a 5A with a smaller tip and a nice easy-grip lacquer finish. On my third pair I found they started making them quite a bit heavier and had changed the taper and tip.

2. VF Jack DeJohnette - A big, long, heavy stick. I used these for a while and the same thing happened as the Evolutions - they got heavier and the tip changed. Lame.

3. Pro Mark Oak 5A - A nice stick though I don't care for the tip. Quit using when it became too hard to grip it loosely.

4. Pro Mark Hickory 5A - Too light...quit on 'em after 1 pair.

5. VF Buddy Rich - I thought this would be a nice replacement for the DeJohnettes but in the end...too fat.

6. VF Steve Gadd - I liked this stick but hated the sound...of all things. The tip makes for a very weak sound on surfaces.

7. VF Weckl (original) - The jury is still out on this one...I might try them again soon.

8. Vater "Manhattan" - I liked this stick but the diameter was too small...I felt strain and ended up with tendonitis within three days of using these. It was my technique...but still...I gave up on them after that.

9. Zildjian "Anti-Vibe" 5A - I started with these sticks 2 yrs. ago because it was what my teacher was using. I tried them again the other night and realized why I quit using them...awful!

10. Pro Mark "Pro-Grip" 5A - Been using these the last few nights. I like the feel other than they're a bit too light. The pro grip surface is great.

11. VF Mike Terrana - I have been using these on and off for a couple of weeks and keep coming to the conclusion that they're far too light, despite the perfect length and great tip. This would be a *great* stick if it were a bit heavier.

12. VF Akira Jimbo - This is a weird stick that I both love and hate. It tapers at the butt which is cool because it's a 5A length - so it pushes some of the weight to the upper-end of the stick. It's got a GREAT tip...perfect really. However, it's fairly heavy...and after a couple of months using these...I don't think I'll stick w/ them.

13. VF Jojo Mayer - Too short, too fat, too heavy.

That's all I can think of for now, though I'm sure I've tried more. What it comes down to is; I'd still be using either the Evolutions or the DeJohnettes, had VF not altered them to be heavier and changed the shape. Since then I've been looking tirelessly for a good replacement.

I'll post more "reviews" as I try more of them out. I hear Los Cabos makes great sticks but I'd have to order them directly from the company in Canada, which makes it less convenient.

What I need is a heavier Mike Terrana with an Akira Jimbo tip. I need to hurry up and become a competent drummer so I can get my own signature stick! :)

The Los Cabos are very good in my opinion, I like the feel and the sound off of the cymbals, however I have been going through sticks like crazy and I am not even doing any pro gigs. My problem is that the tips, regardless of what stick I use seem to chip away quite fast. I have been using the Regal 5E nylon and they sound good but I am not too thrilled with the feel. So, long story short I guess the only way to go is to buy in bulk. If you want to try the Los Cabos you can phone or email Steves music here in Toronto and they should give you a good deal, I think the ones you would like are the 5A Intense. You might have to pay a little tax but it shouldn't be too much. This store has a reputation for pricing low so it may be worth a try and the brand is generally lower than VC and the others. I will be going back to the wood tips so I will be giving them a call as well.
http://www.stevesmusic.com/

http://www.loscabosdrumsticks.com/

Hey Zambizzi did you ever come to a consensus on the Dave Weckl originals? I just tried out the Evolution series today and loved them. Do you have a comparision?
Thanks, James

I didn't like the Weckl "originals" (dark brown) myself, at all. The weight, balance, etc....it all felt very awkward to me. They're longer and (feel) thinner than the Evolution. We're all different, just gotta try them to know.

I have just noticed that these sticks are now available in the States.

Los Cabos sticks are? I'm Facebook friends w/ them (they're very fun, cool people) and they said they would sell directly to me (or any American customer). But, I'd rather use something I can run out and buy in person, in a pinch.

I'm really, really loving the VF SD9 right now and will probably continue to use it for a while.

Maple is the answer to your tip-chipping problem, I think. I had more of a problem with tips "warping" or indenting, over time. Eventually they're not shaped how they were intended and don't feel or sound right. These SD9s I've been using for the last month or so, show absolutely NO signs of wear, chipping, or denting on the tips. This pair will probably last me many months...and was only $7 to begin with.

Los Cabos sticks are? I'm Facebook friends w/ them (they're very fun, cool people) and they said they would sell directly to me (or any American customer). But, I'd rather use something I can run out and buy in person, in a pinch.

I'm really, really loving the VF SD9 right now and will probably continue to use it for a while.

Maple is the answer to your tip-chipping problem, I think. I had more of a problem with tips "warping" or indenting, over time. Eventually they're not shaped how they were intended and don't feel or sound right. These SD9s I've been using for the last month or so, show absolutely NO signs of wear, chipping, or denting on the tips. This pair will probably last me many months...and was only $7 to begin with.

It never occurred to me to use maple, I thoght that they would not last as long. I should give them a shot, what have I got to lose.

Cheers

Keep it simple: Pro Mark Japanese Oak 747 . Nylon or wood tip. Right weight, great balance, very durable, consistent quality.

I think I'm sold on Maple now. Like I said earlier - been using the VF SD9 stick for about a month and it's awesome. The tip hasn't mysteriously shrunk or chipped, even a little. I could see a pair of these lasting for 6mo+, easily.

I ordered 3 more pair of maple sticks, just to try them out. The first arrived today; VF 5B (American Heritage). The other two should be here in a couple of days; Vater Fusion Maple and Vater 5B Maple. I wanted something just like the SD9, only 16" in length.

What happened with the you and the Regal Tips? The Regal Tip 5A is one of my favorites, along with the Vater Los Angeles 5A and the Vic Firth 55A, although I sometimes find Firths to be slippery. Does the finish on the maple SD9's seem different compared hickory? I thought maple sticks would be too fragile for me, but now you've got me thinking.

What happened with the you and the Regal Tips? The Regal Tip 5A is one of my favorites, along with the Vater Los Angeles 5A and the Vic Firth 55A, although I sometimes find Firths to be slippery. Does the finish on the maple SD9's seem different compared hickory? I thought maple sticks would be too fragile for me, but now you've got me thinking.

My hands are just too big for a 5A. The Regal Tips were very heavy for a 5A too.

I've been using Zildjian Stick Wax, since I'm playing 2-4 hrs. every night, so finish is irrelevant now. It allowed me to try some new sticks w/ less than ideal finishes.

Ironically, the VF 5B maple is much heavier than the SD9. I'm still waiting for the other two pair of Vater maples.

Using the Dejhonette's now after about a week of use. This is surprising because I love the feel of them, exact diameter of a 5a but a little longer which ends up moving the folcrum up a tad, but I knew with my sweaty hands they'd become flying objects shortly. No problems yet though. Zildjian wax still working out Zambizzi? Maybe I'll give that a try.
I was using the Copelands but those have been feeling a little heavy lately. I'm going to try the Regal Tip 8a's next since the varnish should help with grip. Anyone know of a comparable stick to the DeJohnette's without the paint?

Using the Dejhonette's now after about a week of use. This is surprising because I love the feel of them, exact diameter of a 5a but a little longer which ends up moving the folcrum up a tad, but I knew with my sweaty hands they'd become flying objects shortly. No problems yet though. Zildjian wax still working out Zambizzi? Maybe I'll give that a try.
I was using the Copelands but those have been feeling a little heavy lately. I'm going to try the Regal Tip 8a's next since the varnish should help with grip. Anyone know of a comparable stick to the DeJohnette's without the paint?

Yes, I use the wax everyday. It's pointless to work against yourself and your sweaty hands. I'm not even halfway through the first can I bought about 8 mo. ago, so that $5 goes a long way.

I've tried to find comparable sticks to the DeJohnette...the closest I've found is the X5A or the Vater Power 5A. Both are slightly longer though. You might also like the David Garibaldi stick...it's similar to the DeJohnette but lighter and has a longer taper. It would make a great stick for lighter playing.

Another one I tried recently was the Zildjian Ronnie Vanucci sig. stick. It's nice but 16.5" is just too long for me.

Vic Firth or Vater 3A is the perfect stick for me for general playing.

but if i feel like jazzin' out a little i use my son's 747s....well at least they seem "light" to me! but i have been tempted to try the VF Buddy Rich signature sticks. but i have to admit (for those old enough to remember) i really did love the Slingerland Gene Krupa line of sticks in jazz band in high school and college.

I've been using nothing but VF buddy rich sig's, they're great, nice long tapper, good weight and diameter

I really like the Regal Tip 5As as well... do they all have those pieces of metal in them (presumably what gives them that nice weight), or just a special series? I was never able to find any mention of it on their website, and they're just filed under 5A at my local music stores, but that's what sets them apart for me.

Also, another vote here for the Promark shira kashi oak sticks; I like the nylon-tip 5Bs. Their nylon tips seem to sound nicer than most, too. Very durable to most wear, except that I find they are just as weak as anything else when it comes to that break where you hit the bell of the ride with the shoulder/shaft. I think I lose more sticks to that than anything else (rimshots a distant second; I think if I did neither of these things, my sticks would last forever!).

I like the Regal Tip ping sticks (7A, I believe) for lighter work, but I found that the tips chipped very quickly. Now I use Vater Manhattan Jazz for the same purpose, and although there's something I really don't like about their feel, they have lasted a long time.

I've been using VF 5BN and seem to always come back to them. But I did find that I really also the like Regal Tip Quantum 3000. Great balance and durable. 1000's were too thin.

Back