New snare - Tama Starclassic G-Maple 13x6 (Antique Mappa Burl)

frozenhenkka

Bought this brick about a month ago and I really love it! The snare is very responsive plus loud and very focused in terms of sound but as well very versatile in tuning wise. I can tune it either high, medium or very fat sounding.

Weights about 5 kilos!

Shell: 13 ply Maple, 11 mm
Finish: Antique mappa burl (satin)
Hardware: Brushed nickel hardware

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC02061.JPG
    DSC02061.JPG
    624.7 KB · Views: 6,809
  • DSC02060.JPG
    DSC02060.JPG
    624.4 KB · Views: 5,811
  • DSC02059.JPG
    DSC02059.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 5,763
  • DSC02055.JPG
    DSC02055.JPG
    569.9 KB · Views: 7,368
  • DSC02064.JPG
    DSC02064.JPG
    628.9 KB · Views: 5,612
  • DSC02050.JPG
    DSC02050.JPG
    651.8 KB · Views: 6,885
  • DSC02052.JPG
    DSC02052.JPG
    565.8 KB · Views: 5,490
  • DSC02051.JPG
    DSC02051.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 5,400
Thanks for your words! Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment so I'm unable to take any proper soundclips.. for now!

But about the sound. Even this snare is pretty thick it has still got some lovely ring. Not too much thought. I'm using that original Evans G1 coated on the batter side and it's perfect! G2 or some sort of reverse dot would just kill the sound in my opinion.

I would recommend this snare for everyone. Even its 13" it's still pretty versatile. I bought 13" instead of 14" because I wanted to have a snare which sounds a little bit higher naturally than 14" snare.

In addition, I think there's not that many Starclassics with that badge which says "Japan" ;)

I am beginning to think that the ring is from the die cast hoops. My new Gretsch Renown snare has a lot of ring. That snare is beautiful in all aspects and I would let it ring. Very nice. That thing will be around for 100 yeras.

I am beginning to think that the ring is from the die cast hoops. My new Gretsch Renown snare has a lot of ring. That snare is beautiful in all aspects and I would let it ring. Very nice. That thing will be around for 100 yeras.

Word! In my hands this baby will last more than 100 years ;)

the craftmanship on this is impressive. Not sure why it is so thick, masterworks snares do the same thing, may be an effort to maximize volume.

thats not that thick... mapex made a black panther snare with 20plys of maple.

essentially it stabilises the snare a bit more, so you can tune it higher without the actual wood of the snare bending inwards.... also the air inside will be smaller, so you'll naturally get a higher pitch from it. but also being thicker it'll take some of the over-tones out.

wow. one of the most beautiful snare drums i have ever seen, great size too! enjoy...

Thank you everyone! It's a shame that Tama aren't making drum sets with this same outer ply finish.. at least at the moment.

Back