Best lightweight hardware if cost is not a factor?

bongoman

I searched and found plenty of threads about lightweight hardware, but most of the requests emphasized being on a tight budget, so most of the recommendations focused on cheaper brands and models, and Ebay scores for the odd vintage pieces. Now, my pockets are pretty empty most of the time too, but I prefer to save up and buy really nice gear. It pleases me to use tools that are better-engineered than average. So what I'm asking is "if price is not so much of a concern, what's the current cream of the crop in lightweight hardware?"

Your opinions based on actual hands-on experience would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

the new Ludwig flat-based stuff has gotten great reviews, and it's not cheap if that makes you feel better.

Of course higher price doesn't equal better quality, and a higher price will not make me "feel better". Higher quality will make me "feel better", and my whole point is to remove price from the question.

Axis makes a number of aluminium stands; definitely extremely lightweight. I haven't tried them myself, but I've heard great things.

3_vortex_VCS.jpg
3_vortex_AX-XHH.jpg

If you need to mount toms on or "boom" cymbals from a stand, go for a tripod base, like the Yamaha 600 series. If you're only going to use each stand for one cymbal, the Ludwig flat-based stands are wonderful.

I see you're in Portland. Go to Revival Drum Shop...they'll help you out with the lightweight hardware issue.

Of course higher price doesn't equal better quality, and a higher price will not make me "feel better". Higher quality will make me "feel better", and my whole point is to remove price from the question.

It was kind of tongue in cheek, and not explained well, which is impossible to communicate in a forum, haha. My bad. The not explained part is that most hardware will work fine if you are not trying to mount 8 heavy crashes and a small child off of them. I wouldn't worry about quality too much, unless you haven't heard of the brand. I have the old Ludwig flat-based stand from before the new Atlas hardware, and old lightweight Yamaha stand, a vintage Atlas hi-hat stand, and a vintage WFL snare stand. If you treat them right, they will be great. The vintage gear isn't even that strong, but it works fine.
Yamaha gear is always solid. Axis gear I'm sure is some of the most capable gear ever built. Ludwig Atlas gear gets good reviews. Canopus even makes great stands. Don't convince yourself you have to spend money to get good quality gear.

Go with the Gibraltar JZ series. They are good stands. On the Gretsch website, they even used some JZ cymbal stands to hold cymbal and toms. I have only used mine to hold cymbals. Peace and goodwill.

I own Ludwig Atlas, DW and Giraltar flat base stands.

ALL are quality, well built stands. Can't go wrong with any of them.

The Ludwig Atlas flat base hi hat stand is superb. No swaying or moving.
The basket on the Ludwig snare stand is the nicest of any brand IMO/E. The adjustable feet for placing legs over and under each other is really great as well.
I am ordering a few sets of Atlas feet to put on some DW stands I use.

DWs' are strong, & well built. I like them because of the memory locks, and the cymbal space adjuster. DW just makes great hardware. The down fall of the 6000 series is the hi hat stand IMO. It just moved all over the place (swaying) when I tried it.

Gibraltar's stands work easily, and the legs will kind of overlap, but I really like the Brake Tilter, and the way the cymbals feel on this stand. The legs have a nice span so it the stand is stable. I haven't ever tried the fb hi hat stand.

Of the 3 brands I own, I think the DW may be the actual "lightest in weight".

People have said Dixon is good quality, and Canopus also, but I've never come across any myself.

I do not care for flat-based stands, but I have not used any since that was the only kind available. Peace and goodwill.

I played flat based stands in the sixties and couldn't wait until I could afford heavier double braced stands, but that was old technology back then and stands have improved by leaps and bounds. I looked at both the DW and Ludwig series of flat based stands and although nicely made, I still feel better hanging rack toms off of double braced equipment. Maybe some day I might just get some flat based stands for smaller more intimate gigs where I don't have to worry about excessive weight with a stand with a bit less support.

Dennis

Yeah, the old 60's stuff is not up to snuff for today's needs.

I wouldn't hang a tom or double up cymbals on the new stuff either. Booming in a ride, a leg probably needs to be under the arm still.
I wouldn't use a FB booms for a heavy/rock ride though. It might be OK, but I'd rather be safe than sorry (like everyone else).

I only use 2-3 cymbals on my kit, and my ride is on a straight stand (24" ride), so it's not a major deal for me to use the light weight gear at all.

If I went with a RIMS again for my tom, I'd use the medium weight double braced DW stands I have.

To each his/her own. The single-braced stands by Gibraltar, Tama, and Yamaha are light enough for me yet are sturdy enough to do "double duty". Some double-braced stands are light too. Peace and goodwill.

I wanted light but strong, so I got some DW3000's. I was able to find most of it in a kit pack and added another hybrid cymbal stand. Included was a DW2000 kick pedal, which will make a capable backup if my DW9000 breaks.
Oh, and no, I'm not a DW guy. My other stuff is a mixture of mostly stronger, thicker, more road-worthy gear. But this stuff works great for quick work and won't break my back. Yes, there's likely better out there, but for me it was a matter of getting the cymbals in the air securely with the least amount of expense.
That said, I'd love a set of the new Ludwig flat stands.

Back