MTV/VH1 - Does anyone still watch?

iamjohn

Does it say something about me or about these stations that I don't even know what channel they are? Is it because I'm 47 that I don't watch? Do 20-somethings watch these stations? I mean, I love music. I'm always listening to music. Why don't I watch?

Also, I know there's a lot of great music out there today. Sure, most of what's in the top 40 these days isn't my cup of tea but there's music out there now that I do love. When MTV first came on you got a real cross section of music. You'd go from the Bugles to Twisted Sister to Run DMC to Fleetwood Mac, etc. etc. So there was something for everyone.

I think if there was good stuff on these channels I'd be watching. What do you think?

Do they still play music? I thought it was all reality tv now?

I miss headbanger's ball.

Yea, I was a VH1 junky until they showered that network with reality tv..

In the mornings they still play music on their Top 20 Video countdown. its the top 20 music videos for that week... I also watch their other music countdowns whenever they are on: 100 greatest hip hop songs, Top 100 90's hits, 100 greatest artist of all time, etc.

Other than that I steer away from Basketball Wives and the like.

I don't watch MTV ever. Just not my cup of tea. Mainly because I don't like huge pieces of sh*t in my tea.

Is it still on?? What music do they play?

I emailed VH1 to ask them about music and when if ever they played any and was told that their prime countdown show was from 1 to 3 PM EST Mon thru Firday. Gosh, I guess I'll quit my job so I can watch. Both stations are garbage IMO only suited for teeny boppers and really bored people that think that reality shows are actually real. And then of course, if they do play anything at all, it's nothing but rap crap or hip hop. Totally a waste.

I think Palladia has the right idea but they don't have enough material. They repeat the same programs over and over.

I think it'd be great to have a true Music Television station.

I'm not sure who watched MTV. Or why they even still call it MTV. It has nothing to do with music.

I still check out Vh-1classic from time to time, as they'll have interesting documentaries about bands from time to time. But even that station does things I don't get, like playing movies that aren't music related.

I haven't watched any of those channels in years. MTV2 used to play music around the clock and all the reality crap was on MTV, but now MTV2 is just as bad. I'm not shure artists are even makeing videos anymore. If they are obviousely nobody is seeing them. I know it's not music videos but i listen to Sirius Raidio alot at home on my satellite. It's just as good to me with no commercials.

At my age (I am 49) I share your views on music channels these days. Back in the day mtv had a lot more live concerts on and vh1 even had fun music related game shows (my generation, etc). Today I find myself watching VH1 Classic for thier roc docs, concerts and son on. Also Ovatio0n has a lot of music related movies, concerts and series. I just watched a show called blues odyssey where Bill Wyman hosted & traced the history of the blues. Also I was a faithful fan of shows like Austin City Limits & Soundstage, and I watch most of thier stuff online now. I guess I am getting old & as Dylan said "The times they are a changin'"!

On VH1 - I only watch "That Metal Show"...2 thumbs up!

Well MTV...I'm just like the Dead Kennedys: MTV Get Off The Air!!!

I'm 22, but I share your feelings. When it comes to music, I feel like I'm in the wrong generation.

I'll watch VH1 when they're playing SNL reruns or I Love The 70s/80s/90s, but I don't think they play music on either channel. MTV's making far too much money off those guidos from the shore.

I haven't watched since the 80's. I like to check out the on demand section for old school rock, metal etc. I have a killer stereo in my car and haven't tuned into any radio stations in over a year.

If you are looking to watch "Teen Mom", "16 and pregnant", or "Randy Jackson's Dance Crew" then look no further than MTV. If you are a somewhat fan of Hip-Hop Countdowns (halfway decent ones) then VH1 isn't a bad choice. MTV is garbage though. If I'm 17 and saying this, then most adults would probably hate MTV. Although I occasionally watch a good episode of True Life. I get all my music news from YouTube or something.

If you have Verizon FIOS, I'd look into the Palladia Channel. Live concerts and performances all day!

It started 20 years ago with "The Real World" reality TV show (holy crap!, 20 years ago! :O).

I'll admit, I was into it, but it was a one of a kind show then and probably the first "reality TV show" ever.
I dont watch many reality TV shows but I do catch bits and pieces of many and they are all offspring of "The Real World".
I guess in a way, I'm not suprised that "reality shows" have taken over, although the majority are rubbish.
Other than backround, its pretty boring watching band videos for an extended period of time over and over again.
I do however watch the "Palladia" channel (an MTV sub) because they show live music all day.

Man, I loved MTV.
I remember when I was 11 (2000) and I felt like the most badass kid around 'cause I didn't watch cartoons anymore and watched MTV all day long instead.

I remember seeing for the first time Green Day, Garbage, Blink 182, Metallica, Ramones, Nirvana.. Foo Fighters!!, System of a Down.. Limp Bizkit!! haha, etc.
It's no coincidence that next year was when I started playing drums.

I watched it everyday until I was 15 or so and I found myself watching less and less.. Everyday there was more and more Britney, NSync, Backstreet Boys and Christina.. Then rock gave its' place to rap and hiphop.. (can't stand it). (Being a horny teen I admit I didn't mind watching Britney's "Toxic" or "Don't let me be the last to know".. my god, she was hot..).

Anyway.. around 2004 my cable tv supplier didn't offer MTV anymore. I missed it.
Then whenever I went someplace with MTV I checked it and to my surprise there were reality shows ALL THE TIME. If you caught a music video it was at the break between two different shows (seriously).

Nowadays I think the only semi-interesting thing you can watch there are some VMA's performances.

I don't know why they did that. I can't understand who thinks that "16 and pregnant" is interesting.

Anyway, I have good memories of those days and it's a shame that it has come to this.

Cheers.

I don't watch MTV ever. Just not my cup of tea. Mainly because I don't like huge pieces of sh*t in my tea.

This. I don't watch either one, but I DO watch VH1 Classic. Unlike the regular VH1, Classic actually does a good job at keeping the main focus of the channel on music and all aspects of it. As far as I know, they don't do a lot of reality shows; it's mostly videos / documentaries / old movies / talk shows. Good stuff.

It started 20 years ago with "The Real World" reality TV show (holy crap!, 20 years ago! :O).

I'll admit, I was into it, but it was a one of a kind show then and probably the first "reality TV show" ever.
I dont watch many reality TV shows but I do catch bits and pieces of many and they are all offspring of "The Real World".
I guess in a way, I'm not suprised that "reality shows" have taken over, although the majority are rubbish.
Other than backround, its pretty boring watching band videos for an extended period of time over and over again.
I do however watch the "Palladia" channel (an MTV sub) because they show live music all day.

um...i need some Palladia in my life. i did not know about this.

I WANT MY PALLADIA !!!!!!!!!!!!

I watch VH1 classic for that metal show & metal mania/80's videos. Palladia and HDNET are also good for concerts and docs.

Back