Rim mounting microphones with suspension mounts

carnival

Hey everyone, I was just wondering how you guys handle this. I've got some pretty nice electro-voice mics that come with rim mounts(http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Voice-PL35-Drum-Microphone?sku=482605). These work great with the floor toms but I've run into positioning problems with the rack toms.

The suspension mounts are completely in the way; in this case the Gibraltar SC-GTS ones.(http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=partsmain&curcat=2&bnd=11&cid=103&sid=448&pid=1793). The mounts take up half of the circumference of the toms and I can't get the mics to affix directly to them, making the bottom of the drum the only option. This of course is hardly a desirable position for a microphone.

What have you guys done in situations like this?

I don't know how to help you. All drum mounts are not created equal. I use stands and mini booms where ever I can. They have much better isolation and can be positioned exactly where they are needed. The down side is that the stands take up more stage room.

Dennis

Try removing the mic from the clip entirely, then reinstalling the opposite way that photo shows. Then, put the clip on the suspension mount, an see if you can angle the mic towards the head well enough. Might not work, you could try dipping the clip in boiling water to soften it, and bend it to a more convenient shape. You could also mic the shell rather than the head, might work, might not.

I prefer boom mic stands also. But AT is right they do have a downside including have to transport them.

Attachments

• misc 005.jpg
    misc 005.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 680
Thanks for all the input guys. I might just have to suck it up and get some mic arms for my rack.

Try removing the mic from the clip entirely, then reinstalling the opposite way that photo shows. Then, put the clip on the suspension mount, an see if you can angle the mic towards the head well enough. Might not work, you could try dipping the clip in boiling water to soften it, and bend it to a more convenient shape. You could also mic the shell rather than the head, might work, might not.

I'll give this a shot first though.

Maybe if that doesn't work try using a "L" arm as a stand off to get the desired positioning from where you can get the clamp.

I had the exact same problem with my Gretsch Catalina birch. I use 12" and 14" toms...to get around the problem I mounted the 12" tom on a snare stand...on the 14" I just switched the suspension mount to the bottom rim and it actually works better because the pressure of the drum hanging (due to gravity) now is on the lugs and not the rim and tension rods...the drum stays in tune much longer. I would not however mount any drum bigger than 14" in that manner (anything bigger than 14 should have legs imo). The rim is now completely free to accept any mic clamp...as many different venues use different micing systems.

Attachments

• taye.jpg
    taye.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 562
I had the exact same problem with my Gretsch Catalina birch. I use 12" and 14" toms...to get around the problem I mounted the 12" tom on a snare stand...on the 14" I just switched the suspension mount to the bottom rim and it actually works better because the pressure of the drum hanging (due to gravity) now is on the lugs and not the rim and tension rods...the drum stays in tune much longer. I would not however mount any drum bigger than 14" in that manner (anything bigger than 14 should have legs imo). The rim is now completely free to accept any mic clamp...as many different venues use different micing systems.

Thats really interesting. I would have never thought to put the suspension mount on the bottom. Definitely worth a try.

Everyone's thinking too hard about this. It's easy: mount the mics on the RIMS bar as you would on the hoop:

rimsmic.jpg

Been doing that for years with no issues.

Bermuda

I'd like to be able to do that(tried a few ways in fact), but I've got the cheapo clips
637453.jpg
that only fit on things of a certain thickness.

I've got an audix clip for my snare mic that is adjustable and I'm pretty sure would work just fine with the suspension mounts. Just a matter of shelling out the cash for em.

Interesting... considering that RIMS have been widely used for over 25 years, I'm surprised that every mic manufacturer hasn't adapted. Mine are Shure, and I've had those mounts for maybe 15 years.

Bermuda

Here's a related question: How do mic clips -vs- having the mounted on dedicated stands differ? I have the old school audix clips and I think that they (and most clips) are pretty good about isolating the mics from shock. I'm getting closer to setting up my home studio and could do either way, though I like the simplicity of the clips.

Everyone's thinking too hard about this. It's easy: mount the mics on the RIMS bar as you would on the hoop:

That's what I said! Just with that mount design, he'll need to install the mic to the other side of it. I didn't notice the hinge on the clip before, I'm now pretty confident it can be placed just fine.

EDIT. Wait, that claw might work differently than how I orginally envisioned. It might be able to grab the suspension mount easier than I thought.

That's what I said! ... Wait, that claw might work differently than how I orginally envisioned. It might be able to grab the suspension mount easier than I thought.

Ah, sorry, I missed that before! :)

It does look like the clip will fit a standard mounting bar, I think it's worth a try.

Bermuda

rimsmic.jpg

Been doing that for years with no issues.

Bermuda

What is the name of the bar that attaches from the clip to the mic in this photo???

What is the name of the bar that attaches from the clip to the mic in this photo???

That's just a proprietary rod/thin gooseneck that Shure supplies with those mics. I have the same rim mount, but the mic holder is a hex L-arm with a standard mic mount on the end. Shure did it right with these mounts when they came out with them years ago. Mine never loosen on the rim, and by using shock mount mic clips, my mics are fairly well-isolated from the vibration of the drum.

The Shure part number for the rim clamp and L-arm is the A56D.

Thanks Matt,i just ordered The Shure a56d clips.......Hope they do me good.First time buying any kind of clips.Trying to cut down on stands.we shall see........

Back