My favorite sticks

Re: What sticks do you use & why?

I'm currently using Vater Manhatten 7a nylon tip. I like these because i like thinner sticks because i have smaller hands but i also wanted sticks that were a little bit longer than the pro mark 7a's that i had been using and these were just what i was looking for.

Vic firth american 5a for me. They feel perfect in my hands. They are made like crap though, I just got a pair, and both sticks broke after one band practice?!?

Vader Manhatten 7A Wood Tip. You can't go wrong with them, they're well balanced, short enough for fast rudimental work around the drums, and they have what I find to be the most important element in a stick: the almost magic tendency to bounce to the next hit and fit perfectly within your creativity. They are my soul mates. :)

Vic Firth 5B. Never had any problems with them. Besides, you can get them anywhere. Pro Mark's suck. They break without fail.

Vic Firth 5a because they're the sticks that my drum instructor picked out for me when I started learning and dispite trying other sizes and brands, I'm yet to find another stick that feels any better to me.

I mostly use Vic Firth 7A and sometimes I use their 8D, which is the same diameter as the 7A, but a bit longer. I like the fact that I can get 7As just about anywhere.

Thinking of that, at the GC Memorial Day sale, drum sticks in packs of 10 were going for $9.99. My closest GC crew was clueless as to what they had so I was sceptical and didn't buy 'em there. Then I went to the next closest store where one of the staff described the sticks as B-stock from Vic Firth and Promark; and then showed me how to tell which was which by the label (The sticks have no writing on them at all). So I grabbed two bags of what this guy says are Vic Firth B-stock sticks that looked about right and when I got home, they turned out to be exactly what the guy said. I compared them withmy sticks (normally $7.00 at GC) at home and they were a perfect match: Vic Firth 7A. So I scored 20 pairs for 20 bucks. And like Ludwig B-stock snares, I can't see anything wrong with 'em. The best deal I've ever gotten on sticks.

I often used wooden spoons from the club´s kitchen, because I was drunk and forgot to bring along my very expensive top-brand drumsticks..the band members could not tell, and the audience loved the gag

Last edited:
Vic Firth Signature Danny Carey. I originally bought a pair just because I like Tool but I fell in love with them. They are thick and powerful, and extremely comfortable due to the tapering of the butt end. Sticks I don't recommend are the Ahead ones. They always slip out of my hands and I don't feel like wearing gloves while I play.

Pro Mark shira kashi oak and the 707 hickory nylon tips. I try to use crappy sticks for hard practice though..."new york pro jazz." mmmmmmmm

Vic Firth: 5AN hickory with nylon tips and 5B hickory with wooden tips.
5AN it's nice and smooth in the hands and fingers.

hey, could someone help me out here?.......i have seen a pair of vic firth 8D's i want to buy, but they are on the internet so i cannot see them up close, i thought that all vic firth sticks looked the same, but this stick is different...have a look......if you know of this type, reply back as soon as possible, i really need to know if there is any difference between them and the original look, thanks

http://www.drum-stop.co.uk/images/_p...an-classic.jpg

I've been using two pairs of sticks lately. (Vic Firth "Rock" and "Danny Carrie Signature")
I'm a marching guy as well as a drum set player so i like how the Carries widen out at the butt, and it feels more like a marching stick but is doesn't play as heavily as one would on a kit.

Vic Firth 5B all the way. ive tried all the other 5B models from all the major producers of sticks and i keep going back to The Vic Firth model.

and even though i have only used them a few times the Vater Funk Blaster chad smiths signature stick is preety sweet feels great.

I also use vic firth Extreme 5A for when i am playing in my corporate function/wedding band.

Vic Firth Buddy Rich for the last 7 years.

They recently changed the paint on them to white from cream, and it flakes off much easier as you play - so now my black Recording Customs and new Paiste Twentys have little white flecks absolutely everywhere (even on the far side of my floor toms).

I really don't want to change sticks..

..but the mess really sucks!

I love Pro-Mark 5A but want to check out the Tony Royster's Vic Firth model ( I like barrel tip)

Pro-Mark 727 White Japanese Oak w/ Oval Tip

Light sticks with small diameter but fair reach. I love em'!

I've played with loads of sticks but I recently got 3 pairs of pro mark joey jordison signature sticks, I will never play with any other sticks in my life again.

Back