One or two favorite sticks?

Right now I've been using Regal Tip Jazz sticks with the nylon tip. I also have some Regal Tip 7a wood tips around as well.

Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature, suits me in almost every situation. The other pair would be X5A.

Pro-Mark Shira Kashi Oak 5A w/ nylon tip. That is my go-to stick for everything, however I keep a pair of Hot Rods in the stick bag as well for quieter gigs/jams. I also keep a well-used couple pairs of Pro-Mark Rock Knockers in both hickory and oak around; just some more options.

I use promark 737's as my go to stick. Very light weight, so I can play faster with less work. When I need more volume, I switch to Los Cabos Jazz, which are much heavier. I really like barrel tips. But lately my promarks have been breaking a lot. They used to just wear away for me until there was no tip left. Now I've been breaking 1 every 3 or 4 hours of playing. I'm going to have to order a brick of them again soon.

I use Vater 5A's and Vater Fusions the most these days. The Fusions are lightly thicker, but not a huge difference. I use an old Sabian 22" AA medium ride, and I use whichever stick sounds the best on my ride at whatever venue I'm playing at. I also sometimes go with the Manhattan 7A's for very small bar gigs. Nothing strange about having more than 1 favorite stick at all

I have several models from different brands that I go between depending what feel I want on a particular day.

Still digging the ProMark Todd Sucherman signature sticks (SD330W).
Perfect combination of diameter, weight, punch, rebound and overall feel for my hands.

They're much more 'agile' than e.g. the Vic Firth Thomas Lang sticks (super fat, quite heavy, too 'slow' overall) which I've been using for a few months when I started out (3 yrs ago). Also have the Vic Firth JoJo Mayer signatures - first thought they're too light but got used to those as an alternative stick, for practice variation. The other sticks that get some use are Vater Derek Roddy signatures - great punch/feel for 'power playing' but less 'finesse' for rudimentary stuff.

I've spent a great deal of playing time with various Vic Firth sticks including the Erskine Ride Stick, Weckl Evolution, SD9's, SD10's & SD2's and after all these years I keep coming back to the SD4's (wood tip). For me they just feel right.

I'm using Vater 5Bs a lot of the time at the moment. I have all the variations (Regular, Nude, Sugar Maple) I was using the Sugar Maple for a while but it feels strange using it now compared to the more solid regular 5B.

Other sticks that get use are the Promark 5A (my favourite 5A, can't stand the Vater LA 5A, poor balance) Also the Omar Hakim Vic Firth signature and sometimes the Stewart Copeland Vater stick.

There's a fair few I want to try out still, always like trying new kinds. I like the sound of that Todd Sucherman stick Arky.

Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature, suits me in almost every situation.

Yup. Found these when they came out, and stopped looking at other sticks: they work for me at pretty much every dynamic level. I do carry Hot Rods for those super-quiet occasions, and Regal Tip Blasticks for edgier brush sounds- but my stick bag got a lot less complicated with the Weckls. They seem to last forever, as well.

Right now, I keep going back and forth between the Buddy Rich stick, The Tommy Igoe stick, and the Peter Erskine ride stick.

I've tried all sorts of different models from all of the major stick manufacturers and always seem to keep coming back to the Pro-Mark 747 hickory nylon tip model. However, I may have to make a switch soon, as they've changed the tip shape and the new nylon material is softer. Instead of it being a sort of shiny, glossy small oval, it's now more of a dull, matte elongated oval. Not a fan. The wood tips haven't seem to change (yet), so I may make a switch, even though I'll miss the ride cymbal articulation that the old-style nylon tips gave.

Okay. Before there's any flaming or uncertain aspersions. :) Yes, I know this began mid last year. I, however, am resurrecting it because I think a lot of folk are interested in the stick question.

I have found after over 35 years as a musician/drummer that almost any 7A stick will perform. However I prefer Hickory and usually a Jazz stick. I am currently using a couple: Vic Firth Steve Jordan sig. sticks. Not because anyone's name is on them. Simply the profile and Pro-Mark Jazz Elvin Jones (both wood and nylon). I also find more difference in the cymbal response to a stick with the tip shape than whether it's nylon or wood. Big difference between oval/teardrop and barrel even more so than between nylon oval and wood oval.

Last edited:
Back