Overtone Muffling

amscruff

What are your thoughts on items to muffle overtones? I'm thinking about moongels, but am not sure. Personal experiences with different products would be preferred.

If you know how to tune, you can get rid of nearly all noticeable overtones by taking advantage of phase cancellation.

Otherwise, I've heard that those little gel letters are made of the same material as moongel, but cost significantly less. To be honest, if you MUST use muffling, I'd just use moongel. Do NOT use tape. This is not the 70s. All it does is leave nasty adhesive residue on the hoops and heads, and it looks amateurish.

I like O-Rings. Cheap, easy to put on and take off, don't get in the way, and don't gum things up.

I forgot about O-Rings. Fantastic idea. If you're dead-set on muffling, I'd use O-Rings, no question.

I use Moongel and I prefer it to O-rings which always seem to get torn up or fly off the drum head etc...

Moongel is great too because you can cut it into tiny pieces to really get the amount of control you want... or use more than one piece etc..

Back