Sabian B8 pack

cg2112

Thoughts on this cymbal pack?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAB45007SOZ

I generally play Zildjian A Customs, but need a second set of cymbals for rehearsals, I'm getting tired of lugging equipment back and forth twice a week. This seems like pretty good bang for the buck. I don't hate the B8's that I've played in the past. Thoughts?

Never liked sabians b8 line, although their b8 pro series sound surprisingly decent.

If I were you I'd look into buying some used cymbals rather than investing in a new set of B8s. They're entry level cymbals and there's more than likely someone on craigslist that upgraded their set and are looking to part ways with their old one.

I have the older pack that they offered and find them to be great cymbals to start with when getting into drumming or getting back into drumming which was my case. They are going on two years and I have laid into them quite hard at times and they show no signs of giving up. My set came with the 14" hats, 16" thin crash, 18" thin crash and 20" ride. The ride is the best part as you can use it as a ride or a crash and the bell is quite loud with a mid tone to it.

They are far beyond entry level but obviously not HH, Vaults, K's etc. The only thing is I don't understand the picture they have up. It shows a possible 18" Ozone crash, not a regular 18" thin crash. Other than that I'd say go for it. Some will come in and tell you to buy used and that's fine you would just have to search for the deals to keep the total in your budget range if you have one.

Are the ozones starting to replace chinas in cymbal packs now? Feels weird.

OP, when I'm on a budget, I always look for used stuff, like Wopsey said. Don't toss so much money on a line like B8. Well, except if you try them out and like them, that is.

I've done plenty of searching used. There are plenty of used cymbals out there, but in the end it would cost me a lot more to purchase cymbals individually, which is why I'm looking at cymbal packs. These are for practice only, I don't need good cymbals, I just need "good enough." Basically, I'm looking for a good deal, and wondering if there's something better out there.

The B8 cymbals are a great line for a budget. Those who dislike them either just genuinely don't like their sound, or claim to dislike them because they're inexpensive. The cymbals are B8 bronze, which is a great cymbal material. I've used B8s live, and in studio, and no one has EVER said "You sounded pretty good, except for your cymbals." or "Do you have any different cymbals we could record on these tracks."

The Sabian B8 ride is a horse of a beautiful color. I'm not crazy about riding the cymbal, but if you want a cheap 20" crash, the B8 ride is perfect for crashing. I also used a B8 18" China for a long time, loved it.

Hop on the interwebz and check out Youtube. Plenty of good demos of the B8s. And if you like them in the videos, buy them. They're great cymbals, and they hold up. I've never broken a B8, unlike other lower level cymbals. *cough* ZBT *cough*

Are the ozones starting to replace chinas in cymbal packs now? Feels weird.

I wouldn't think so. I'm sure it was just a different effect cymbal to add in at the time or this time if that's what's in the pack. Just another quick decaying effect cymbal that can be used alone or as part of a stack if you so desire.

And yeah good call on the video Rocker, I swear there was one or two that had the 20" ride in it and it's seems to be a well liked or respected ride for it's series among metal and rock players. Great ride to use while playing RATM songs!

If it were me, I'd go a step up and pick up an XS20 or a PST5 pack. In my opinion, they sound far superior to B8s, and they're still pretty affordable.

My problem with B8s is their lack of dynamics. They can sound pretty decent if you really lay into them, but they don't open up unless you do. The XS20s and PST5s open up much easier than B8s do, and that's very important to me when making a decision on cymbals.

I actually really like the Paiste PST5 line, if you stick to the "thin" crash cymbals. The medium and rock weights sound a lot more clangy to my ears.

I got a few used ones to have a "go bag" of cymbals I don't need to worry about for quick gigs and now I use they all the time. They aren't as nuanced and they don't open up as easily as a professional-level cymbal, but they are (IMO) the best budget/student cymbal on the market and for what they are they still have a good amount of that "famous Paiste shimmer."

Back