Throne suggestions?

GrebGoneBad

Hi all!

My stool is currently the bane of my drumming life at the moment. Someone gave me their old one after getting themselves a roc n soc (I think that's what it was anyway) and they had been using it for several years before I got MY ass on it. Anyway, long story short it's no good anymore and I want to buy myself one. I need something with back support, something that can be easily carried around (to gigs and whatnot) and also be affordable. I've seen that you can spend hundreds on these things, I ideally dont want to spend over £50 if possible (About $80 I believe if my math is right).

Any suggestions? Any would be appreciated!

Solid and back support and being cheap and light are mutually exclusive in throne world. All of the manufacturers make good solid throne with optional back support. But a new Roc n soc will cost you upwards of $125 just for the throne before the back support piece is added. Spindle height adjustment is the only way to go, and that means it'll be the heaviest piece of hardware you carry - but it'll be worth it as you will be able to play comfortably, and it's also supporting the heaviest part of the kit - YOU.
Save up some more cash and do it right, then you only do it once.

Phil Collins probably wishes he had had a better throne early on. As Bo said, save your money and buy a good one once.

Just get a roc 'n soc.

I recently got a Roc-N-Soc Nitro throne, with a backrest. It ran me about $200 total, but I'll say it was worth every penny, and can actually save you money. See, I wasted a bunch of money trying out different thrones that were just never quite right, before I eventually forked over the extra cash for this one. I don't see myself buying a new throne for a looooonnnggg time. Some people have had the cylinders fail after a couple of years, but you can buy replacements for about $30.

But really, save your money and get something really nice

I recently got a Roc-N-Soc Nitro throne, with a backrest. It ran me about $200 total, but I'll say it was worth every penny, and can actually save you money. See, I wasted a bunch of money trying out different thrones that were just never quite right, before I eventually forked over the extra cash for this one. I don't see myself buying a new throne for a looooonnnggg time. Some people have had the cylinders fail after a couple of years, but you can buy replacements for about $30.

But really, save your money and get something really nice

Yep. Not to mention it saves your back.

For years I had a middle of the road throne. Sometimes I would use the backrest, sometimes I wouldn't. I was never entirely happy with it. Then my wife said "You spend a lot of time on it so go buy yourself a good one". I bought a Tama Ergorider (midway between traditional round and bike seat style) because I've always had good luck with Tama hardware. I've been using it for several years and love it. No back rest, either.

Never skimp on a throne.

An even cooler, but more expensive option is the canister shell throne. These are absolutely non-adjustable, but the fact that they don't spin is the attraction here. I noticed that if you have a seat that spins, if you leave it lose, your back is twisting in all these unnatural ways while you play, causing sometimes severe back problems down the line. This is why I always lock my spindle thrones. But the canister thrones, provided you like the height, are perfect for this! Plus you can use them to store stuff too!

The pork pie memory foam ones are like sitting on a cloud. I think it's more comfortable than most of the chairs in my house.

The pork pie memory foam ones are like sitting on a cloud. I think it's more comfortable than most of the chairs in my house.

This is true - but when I had a Pork PIe throne years ago, the foam was so soft it began to lose it's support through firmness. I eventually had to replace the seat top!

This is true - but when I had a Pork PIe throne years ago, the foam was so soft it began to lose it's support through firmness. I eventually had to replace the seat top!

I'm pretty sure mine came with a little slip of paper in the box declaring a lifetime guarantee for all the parts if they were to die from normal wear and tear or use. I'm also almost positive it specifically mentioned the foam as something they would replace if that happened. Just have to send it in.

If you're the sort of person that gets coccyx pain from extended sitting on normal thrones, as I do, even on a Roc n Soc, then take a look at the Carmichael Thrones....

http://www.backpainchairdirect.com/Drum-Thrones-Comfort-15-inch-dia-seat

Everyones spine compresses while sitting on conventional seating, sitting on a CARMICHAEL throne actually improves your posture.

I've sat on just about every brand of traditional style drum throne, nothing comes close to a CARMICHAEL, somewhat a little analogous to chuck taylors and modern athletic shoes, the support aspect.

I'm pretty sure mine came with a little slip of paper in the box declaring a lifetime guarantee for all the parts if they were to die from normal wear and tear or use. I'm also almost positive it specifically mentioned the foam as something they would replace if that happened. Just have to send it in.

Wish I knew that 15 years ago!

Back