DW Hardware 9000 vs 7000. Is there a huge weight difference?

Badbrain87

I bought a DW 9700 boom stand and a 9000 series 2-leg HH stand to go with my new DW Performance kit. They are top quality, but at a price; they are pretty heavy. I would really be interested in swapping this gear for DW 7000 if it is definately lighter. The 7000 boom stand has the tube joints, memory locks, and techlock just like the 9700 so I wound't be losing the major features I like.

The 9000 HH stand is probs very superior to the 7000 but I am not neccesarily too against that as (this may sound stupid) the 9000 HH stand is almost too good. I don't really need to have a 2 leg stand as I don't play double bass or have trouble positioning my HH stand and actually feel a 3 leg would move less, but maybe I need to adjust it more idk.

I really hate the idea of lugging around heavy stuff when I don't need to and really want to have DW hardware (starting to get OCD about gear, weird because until 2 years ago I didn't really care what drums I played. Thoughts?

It is not a huge difference per stand, maybe a couple of pounds. The big difference comes when you have all of your gear in a case. The difference then can be 20 pounds, which is pretty substantial. I play 9000 hardware, but I am pretty rough on gear so I really like the weight, it gives me a sense of security.

Oh Cool. Yeah 20 less pounds definately appeals to me especially as my band always helps me with my gear (and me theirs). I think the 9000 series is rad but I don't feel like I need that heavy-duty aspect of it. I also want to buy another cymbal stand as right now I only play one HH one Crash-Ride and feel i want a seperate crash and ride. Thanks for the input. Btw i am recently DW obsessed ;)

I sold all my 9000 stuff after it sat for a couple years after I got the lighter DW stands.

I started getting it when they just made the tubes smaller and had "L" after the model number.
The 7000 straight and boom stands are very sturdy, and are stable under heavy playing. I never have trouble with them at all.

The weight difference between the double braced light weight stands (3000), and the 7000 series is nothing.
I weighed mine, and here was no difference, which I thought was strange, but the base section where the legs attach to the clamp around the tube is a little different in build.

If you want double braced still, the 3000 a good way to go, and you can still use your 3/4 DW top tubes, or hide away boom with the standard tilter instead of the tilter they use on the 3000 now if you wanted. When I got mine, they still used the regular tilter.

The Flat base cymbals stands are also VERY sturdy. I use one for my 24" ride and I crash it a lot in a 2 cymbal set up playing heavy rock. The only stand in the 6000 line that is wobbly is the FB hat stand.

I have a couple 3500 2 leg hat stands and they are very stable and sturdy as well. No problems in all the gigging I have done the last 4-5 of using them (starting as the 5000 L hat stand). I imagine the 7000 3 leg hat stand would work great.

There is a pretty big difference in the trap case between the heavy stuff and the lighter version. At home, no big deal, but if you have to lift the hardware bag/case into a vehicle, or up stairs, it makes a big difference when you have 3.4.5 stands in there, and other stuff probably too.

I you went for some of these stands, they are quality and worth the money.

If you don't mind the weight of the 9000 hat stand, try adjusting the height of the legs an inch or so up or down. I have the occasional "shaky stand" problem when I set the legs up a little off, so I found a height that made the whole stand sturdy and marked in on the tube with a Sharpie. It's incredibly stable now (and I love the feel- out of this world!) though if weight is your primary concern, the 7000 might be the way to go.

I'm pretty sure that the 5000 series is actually considered to be between the 7 and 9000 series in quality/weight, so you might want to try that hi-hat stand as well.

Yeah, I tried the 7000 hat stand at the shop, and it is stable, and well built.

I would use one, but because of where I need/want to put my left side floor tom (that I always use), I need a 2 leg hat stand.
I use a Ludwig ATLAS flat base hat stand too, which has 3 legs, but nothing gets in the way of the legs, or brackets on the drum with that stand with the leg tightening at the bottom.

The Ludwig ATLAS Classic flat base stand is GREAT. Really nice feel, light weight, and it's stable with no sway (playing hard on 15" hats). The DW 6000 FB stand had major sway just by using my foot on it at the shop, so I stayed away from that offering from DW.
If you want light weight, and don't mind mixing brands (sounds like you want to match at this stage though) it's a great stand.

Otherwise, the 7000 is really nice, and it feels good. The stability is actually kind of better on a 3 leg hat stand without a plate under the foot pedal, because it will just go with the level of "flatness" on any stage/surface. Instead of a flat, secured plate maybe fighting with an uneven spot you happen to get stuck on, the heel piece sits flush against anything, and the stand doesn't wobble.

Back