New Band

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Hey all,

I'm just really excited...I did a co bill with a great blues band a few weeks ago...never saw them before...their drummer is departing for health reasons...I heard that and said "really"

Well these guys were so entertaining, a piano player, a B3 player, harp, guitar, bass, drums. 6 guys. What a sound. Fun band, really works the audience too. I'm thrilled!

This would be my first real original band. They made it down to Nashville for the International Blues Challenge, they did real good but didn't take the cake. Just to make it down there you have to win a bunch of preliminaries first.

Anyway that's all for now, it will be a while before any gigs happen, but these guys get the bigger gigs, festivals and stuff. And they have the coolest rehearsal space in the state. They got bucks deluxe...Pool table, a real stage, with stage lights, commercial coolers of refreshing beverages...creature comforts....on a beautiful country estate...just the best of everything.

Bigger gigs on the horizon are what I see. I'm happy.

Wow wow wow! I'm chuffed to hear this Larry :) If there's a bin basher on here that deserves this, it's me, oops, sorry, ahem, it's you!

Seriously, you've been after a chick gyrator of a band for a while, well, now you've arrived! Not only do you get to play to bigger audiences, you get to play in a happening band, & it's "Larry the chick magnet" from now on, lol!

Love it, love it, love it!

Nice.I hope all of it works out Larry.You certainly have paid some dues.Keep your eye on the prize,and keep you skill level up.They didn't pick you because you weren't good.

All the best luck my friend.:)

Steve B

Very cool Larry!!
Have fun with it, just don't get too comfortable in your new posh rehearsal place...it might be nicer than some of the stages! JK.

Good times ahead for you!!!

Congrats Larry! Awesome news, man. Super exciting stuff. Pool table? I'm just happy when I don't slip in cat piss. :)

Seriously, you've been after a chick gyrator of a band for a while, well, now you've arrived! Not only do you get to play to bigger audiences, you get to play in a happening band, & it's "Larry the chick magnet" from now on, lol!
LOLling at this post.

Nice one, Larry!

Congrats Larry! Really hope this all works out for you.

Congratulations Larry, I'm as excited as you are about it, good luck with your new venture, sounds super hyper cool :))

Congrats! I am in a blues band, and I love it. We are just starting to play originals. I used to listen to rock, jazz, fusion, and prog. Now all I listen to is blues or music that is closely related to blues. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Cool, Larry.

Can we get the band name? Do they travel outside your state, or still more local?

Congrats, Larry! Sounds like you found a great opportunity! Can't wait to hear more about it, as it evolves.

Hey all,

I'm just really excited...I did a co bill with a great blues band a few weeks ago...never saw them before...their drummer is departing for health reasons...I heard that and said "really"

Well these guys were so entertaining, a piano player, a B3 player, harp, guitar, bass, drums. 6 guys. What a sound. Fun band, really works the audience too. I'm thrilled!

This would be my first real original band. They made it down to Nashville for the International Blues Challenge, they did real good but didn't take the cake. Just to make it down there you have to win a bunch of preliminaries first.

Anyway that's all for now, it will be a while before any gigs happen, but these guys get the bigger gigs, festivals and stuff. And they have the coolest rehearsal space in the state. They got bucks deluxe...Pool table, a real stage, with stage lights, commercial coolers of refreshing beverages...creature comforts....on a beautiful country estate...just the best of everything.

Bigger gigs on the horizon are what I see. I'm happy.

awesome Larry

good things come to good people

yr gonna kill in this gig

sounds custom made for you brother

Sounds great Larry, let me know if you playing in the area (live in Royersford), love to come out!

Thanks guys!
Woo Hooo!

I got a PM from a member who guessed the band, he knows them and plays the same circuit. The band name is "The Porkroll Project"

Taylor Porkroll is a big favorite around these parts and the leaders last name is Taylor.

Here's a link to their music page.
http://www.porkroll-blues.com/Music.html

Onward, upward!

My other blues band lost our star female bassist to greener pastures in Nashville...we got a replacement dude, but for some reason the gigs are really sparse all of a sudden. So I the time for another band now, and this just fell right in my lap basically. It's funny how that stuff works out. They liked what I did on the co bill, they were very enthusiastic, and invited me out to a jam party where they gave me all their CD's. Then about 2 weeks later they asked me for an audition. So I go and auditioned on their house set, a Cat Club w/ an 18" bass drum. I used my snare and a few cymbals, because theirs sounded like your typical drumset, crap. We ran about 4 songs, took a break, had a few laughs, then did 1 more, and that was it. Then about 3 days after that, I get the call. He liked the way my audition felt so much that he said he doesn't feel the need to look further, and if I want the position, it's mine. So after deeply thanking him I wholeheartedly accepted the position lol.

This is the start of a new chapter.

Last edited:
No surprises. Your playing had reached a point where things were always going to happen for you. Onya Larry, I'm sure you'll have a ball with them.

Just wondering about this rehearsal space on a country estate - how far is the drive and how many rehearsals a week?

This sounds amazing, well done! I imagine I speak for everyone when I say I would like frequent updates!

Back