Double Bass Pedals are the Devils Work!

alex-likes-drums

They seem to be so popular, i was just wondering what everyones view on them is. I think they are unnatural, destroy rhythm and on the whole are totally unnecessary. Any thoughts?

Yes, I have a thought. Do some search on this topic and you'll find stuff/opinions to read for... weeks, guaranteed.

If you don't like them... Why do you even bother to create a thread on them? (I'm not really curious, this was more of a rhetoric question.) Just don't use them, don't learn how to use them, and save yourself a lot of time.

A double kick pedal is a tool. How can a tool destroy rhythm?

I agree there are lots of drummers that overuse the double-kick, but there's a hell of a lot of musicians that sounds awesome with it, either in beats, fills, or ambiance.

Some people use it sparingly, others use it as a signature part of what they do. It comes down to personal taste... there is no right or wrong.

They seem to be so popular, i was just wondering what everyones view on them is. I think they are unnatural, destroy rhythm and on the whole are totally unnecessary. Any thoughts?

How are they unnatural, and how do they destroy rhythm? Should you play one-handed? Should all music be Def Leppard's greatest hits? (too much?)

Seriously, why can I play rudiments and rolls with my hands and not my feet. Music is all about playing to a feel, being original, adding variety to rhythms and melodic patterns - how is adding an extra limb to proceedings a bad thing?

Please could you justify the statements you make? So I can understand why you feel that way.

was just asking a question mate. i dont know many other drummers so i was interested in everyone elses opinion on the subject. sorry i offended you so. go save yourself some time by not being a total asshole

How are they unnatural, and how do they destroy rhythm? Should you play one-handed? Should all music be Def Leppard's greatest hits? (too much?)

Seriously, why can I play rudiments and rolls with my hands and not my feet. Music is all about playing to a feel, being original, adding variety to rhythms and melodic patterns - how is adding an extra limb to proceedings a bad thing?

Please could you justify the statements you make? So I can understand why you feel that way.

I mean in the sense that ive heard many drummers use them. And they just seem to be used to fill in gaps. Im not saying anyone who uses them is a lesser drummer, i just feel that in music what you don't play is as important as what you do.

I mean in the sense that ive heard many drummers use them. And they just seem to be used to fill in gaps. Im not saying anyone who uses them is a lesser drummer, i just feel that in music what you don't play is as important as what you do.

Depends on the song, genre, etc.

I completely agree that often less is more. What if the gaps are there to allow the drummer to embellish a bit? Would it make any difference whether he played a tom fill, or a double-kick fill, or a combination of the two?

The question of overplaying in a song is not limited to double-kick, but musicality in general, regardless of the tools being used.

A double kick pedal is a tool. How can a tool destroy rhythm?

I agree there are lots of drummers that overuse the double-kick, but there's a hell of a lot of musicians that sounds awesome with it, either in beats, fills, or ambiance.

Some people use it sparingly, others use it as a signature part of what they do. It comes down to personal taste... there is no right or wrong.

yeah i totally agree, but most of the time they arent used sparingly. drummers seem to buy them and use them for the purpose of being able to do something really fast. example would be filling a song with 16th notes with a double bass drum. there is no space when a double bass pedal is over used, no one would do that with a single pedal

The question of overplaying in a song is not limited to double-kick, but musicality in general, regardless of the tools being used.

also agreed but generally nobody would fill a song with toms played like a double pedal is. i think double pedals are the main culprit for overplaying in modern rock music

also agreed but generally nobody would fill a song with toms played like a double pedal is. i think double pedals are the main culprit for overplaying in modern rock music

I don't necessarily agree. Maybe sometimes, but that's a pretty broad statement over just one item of a drum kit.

With regards to overplaying in modern rock, I think guitars, overdubbing, synths, and overproduction play a bigger part in that than the poor double kick. And really, I don't hear a lot of double kick in modern rock; do you have examples of what you mean?

Totally depends on the genre. In some genres double pedals are completely necessary.
Anyhow, that does not keep me from saying that I think double pedal playing sounds uninspired, unrhythmic, buttery (in a bad way). To me, most double bass playing sound like a bad drummer added a second pedal just so people can THINK that he can play fast.

----- NO HATING ON ME PLEASE -----

Just my subjective opinion. Playing fast with a single pedal is 1000000000000x times cooler and groovier.

^^^^^All of the above are MY OPINIONS ONLY and there is no need to hate on me for saying what I think.^^^^^

(I should add that my hating towards double pedals is heavily inspired by the fact that I never learned how to play with a double pedal. So jealousy is a big part of my contempt for double pedals.)

Peace.

Totally depends on the genre. In some genres double pedals are completely necessary.
Anyhow, that does not keep me from saying that I think double pedal playing sounds uninspired, unrhythmic, buttery (in a bad way). To me, most double bass playing sound like a bad drummer added a second pedal just so people can THINK that he can play fast.

----- NO HATING ON ME PLEASE -----

Just my subjective opinion. Playing fast with a single pedal is 1000000000000x times cooler and groovier.

^^^^^All of the above are MY OPINIONS ONLY and there is no need to hate on me for saying what I think.^^^^^

Thank you! i was wondering if anyone was going to agree with me

Thank you! i was wondering if anyone was going to agree with me
Well, you'll usually find at least a "few" people who will agree, on just about any subject. As for me, I look at the double bass pedal, as a back saver. When I started playing drums (in the dark ages) ..... there was no double bass pedal. You carried around two bass drums. Gee .... it's the largest drum in my kit .... I think I'll drag around two. That'll be fun. And then, I'll have to buy a truck !!!!​
And, of course, the first double pedals were, ah .... kinda sloppy. But, like any tool, some people use it really, really well, and some don't. Tony Williams, on his last album, went double bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRJYbKGLVrc&feature=related . Simon Phillips does a pretty good job of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGL5rpFi_nI (around 8:30 is where the fun really starts).​

I had the opposite reaction from Harry: I got a double pedal, and then liked it so much I went old skool and got a kit with two bass drums. I just like the look of all those drums and I already own a truck so moving it around wasn't that big of a deal.

However, you're right, I didn't always use the two bass drums to play things fast and when you look at the practicality of carrying around a whole extra bass drum just to aide in maybe 5% of the music you're playing, it does get to be a bit much. So I slowly started not using it, but it looked great in my practice room. And being primarily a single bass drum player, I always revisit my roots and go back to a single on a four-piece kit. I'm cyclicle that way.

My only kit, with two kicks (matching make/color) is my Luddie Red Vistalite kit. I have a 22 and 24. Kinda wanna do more of a two-voice thang. Like Will Calhoun and Dave Weckl. Wish I could play like those guys (maybe in another lifetime). I carried aroung two kicks from about 1975 to 1983. And that was enough, for me. It's one thing to have 'em in my studio .... and another to lug 'em around. And with my recent double-total-hip-replacement, the only kick I'm lugging around right now is my 20" Club Date.​
My first influences on twin kicks, were Ginger Baker and Carmine Appice. And then I got an eye and earful of a very young Billy Cobham 1972/73, and holy smoke, changed my life forever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k_w703oPu8&feature=related This was not Rock and Roll.​

i think double pedals are the main culprit for overplaying in modern rock music

If you've haven't noticed, the trend here on DW isn't to come out diss'n, its just start a 'boycott double pedals' thread.

It 'is' the style of music that dictates what gear you're probably going to use. You're not going to hear a lot of double pedal work in country music, or reggae for instance, but DP's are standard equipment in other styles like metal.

Musicians don't like playing a certain genera/style not b/c its music, its b/c they don't understand it and/or they haven't put the time into playing it, usually b/c it doesn't come as easy to them.

In the end its all music and if you're a (good) musician you'll find something to love in any style.

I carried aroung two kicks from about 1975 to 1983. And that was enough, for me.

OK HARRY, but the real question is-
If you had a roadie/tech any/every gig, would you be playing two bass drums again?

Yeah, apologies. Just didnt expect to be instantly berated by a pretentious fool

With all due respect, I have to say I saw it as the other way around. Your original post definitely berated me (and likely him) as a double bass player. Being interested in other drummers opinions on double bass, he gave you his: that he doesn't feel they are unnatural, or destroy rhythm, making the connection between playing with two hands, and being able to play with two feet.

Then he asked for a justification of your opinion, essentially asking why you feel double bass is such a bad thing. I don't think he was out of line at all for asking that. I DO feel your subsequent response was out of line.

As for me, I like my double bass, a section of a song with sustained 32nd notes can be awesome, and even if you're not into that sort of thing, without a double pedal, you can't add in a burst of say eight 32nd notes that lead into a big backbeat, or anything like that.

Back