Vinnie Colaiuta

I absolutely love Vinnie. Definitely one of my favorite drummers of all time. His sense of time and groove is superb. And I love his philosophy on music and drumming which he briefly described in a Modern Drummer interview a while ago. Just mind-blowing: both what he plays and what he says.

I didn't even realize this when I saw it, but he was playing with Jeff Beck at Crossroads last year. I knew I recognized him at the concert but I couldn't put my finger on who it was. And then a few weeks later they posted the band line-ups online and turns out I saw him live without even knowing it! Great experience. I definitely think everyone needs to see him live at some point.

I saw Vinnie Colaiuta performing at a Jeff Beck concert in my hometown last night. What an awesome drummer he is. I must say Jeff Beck on the guitar is incredable as well. It should be called the Jeff and Vinnie show. I am so glad I went. Total respect to Vinnie.

i think hes coming to the jazz fest in cork this year....cant wait to see him....a simply brilliant drummer!

I just remembered something I wanted to respond to a previous post re Vinnie playing on Gino Vannelli's Nightwalker. I love that song and the drumming on it is fantastic. I looked that up ages ago and couldn't find the drumming credit for it. I have the video clip and it has Mark Craney playing, (miming) drums on the clip. If it is Vinnie, it just shows how versatile he is. It is rock solid and the fills are great while still being quite simple.
Did Vinnie definitely play on this song?

Baz

No - it was Mark Craney, one of the best and most feeling players who is rarely mentioned except by drummers. He is missed . . . .

Paul

Heheh, how many great drummers are called Vinnie? Vinnie Appice, Vinnie Paul and Vinnie Colaiuta xP

I'm trying to get my Vinnie education on. Can someone help me out? I know Vinnie's a killer in whatever situation, but can someone suggest a discography of his most potent (if you will) stuff?

Or maybe I can just prep it like this: What are everyone's favorite Vinnie albums?

What are everyone's favorite Vinnie albums?

Alan Holdsworth Secrets
Jing Chi Crazy House is a killer song.
Sting Ten Summoner's Tales
Karizma Document

I'm not into Zappa's music but the drumming is rediculous....also check out some Jeff Beck albums....

I'm trying to get my Vinnie education on. Can someone help me out? I know Vinnie's a killer in whatever situation, but can someone suggest a discography of his most potent (if you will) stuff?

Or maybe I can just prep it like this: What are everyone's favorite Vinnie albums?

Joe's Garage.

There is more to the story than meets the ear.

I love Vinnies playing on Hancock's "Mitchell" and Megadeth's "The World Needs a Hero" I think that those albums talks about this guy AMAZING versatilty.

Hi there,

I have a question for those of you who recognize Vinnie's (and Katchés) playing - who plays on which track on Stings "Brand new day"? Been looking all over the net for info, but haven't found it. Anyone who knows?

All the best,
M

EDIT: Later the same day I found on a Wiki page that he is supposed to play on 3 tracks on "Brand new day" - the question still remains which though...

I have been wondering about that for a while, but never really found out. however, if you are into sounds, I'd think that on the opener, A Thousand Years and Desert Rose it's definitely manu, especially in the way he comes in on Desert Rose. If it's otherwise i'd be surprised. Also, Ghost Story is pretty much Vinnie all over; just listen to the outro, you can't miss that ride. I am not so sure about Perfect Love Gone Wrong, but that and Tomorrow We'll See are probably Manu as well. I'd like to think After The Rain Has Fallen as Vinnie's, again, because of tones and the hat work just the overall feel. Does anyone actually play on Big Lie Small World? The time-sig veers towards Vinnie Territory hahaha. God, I love both these guys with Sting, man; it's taste to the max!

Hello!
Anyone know tell me what the name of a show that had to do with Africa or Apartheid something. Concerts a fund-raising show those who met several artists like Madonna, Cindy Lauper etc. He played the entire show in the 80s or 90.
Bye!

Re: Vinnie Colauita

If the audience was full of drumming guru's then they would've cheered all of the drummers just about equally.

When it comes to Vinnie's lack fo creativity I'm talking specifically about his solos. For the most part I hear a continuous pattern of quick rolls all over the place. I cant hear many note variations or a strong use of other rudiments in his solo's.....little diversity I guess is what i'm trying to say. Maybe you have a better ear than I do and there are subtleties in Vinnie's solo's that I dont notice, but I still don't like the way he plays.

The difference between Gadd's and Vinnie's solos are that Gadd solo's have a oddity to them while maintaining a sound "feel", they're actually somthing I can internalize and admire. With Vinnie, I just cant really admire his style of soloing like I can with most other drummers. So I guess we are arguing a difference of tastes. And i'll admit that like everyone els, I can be biased towards things I dont like:)[/QUOTE

Obviously, Vinnie is over your head....I say this because you dont even noticed the blushdas,the flam taps,the flamaddiles,and all the other insane rudiments that he is playing....albiet fast as hell but still musically significant....As for the whole vinnie repeating himself well buddy you dont have a any idea about the construction of drum solos...and the idea of soloing over a form without accompaniment.If you did you would know that his "fours" were based off what Steve and Dave played before him.I love Gadd and Weck but Gadd has been playing the SAME solo for YEARS with the same licks and all..Currently however in defense to Mr.Gadd he has reunited with L'Image (a jazz fusion group from the seventies) I had the chance to see them in NYC last year....And Gadd kicked major ass all over the place and he NEVER resorted to any of his stock licks .He played like he was twenty again.

Again I understand that everyone has different tastes and I respect that but please be INFORMED!!!

One of the main reasons i play drums is because of Vinnie. The stuff he did with Zappa was miles ahead. Same goes with Alan Holdsworth and vinnies solo-cd.

Could anyone tell me when in the 90's Vinnie switched to Gretsch?

Another question is, does anyone know what the 22" large bell ride was that he used to play?

Also, has anyone got any good photos of his Yamaha or Gretsch kits from the 90's, especially looking for any bird's eye views?

Finally, I keep reading about the Baked Potato video and have seen a few clips and see a couple of tracks have been officially released, but is there anywhere I could get the full show on video / dvd?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

I guess the hardcore Vinnieites know this about his sight reading skills, but here is an excerpt from a Steve Vai quote:

“I’ll tell you a really great Vinnie story. He’s one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early ’80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called “Mo ‘N Herb’s Vacation.” Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like “The Black Page” except even more complex.

There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there.”

“Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like “The Black Page.” And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff.
And I saw Vinnie reading this thing.

Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar.”

“It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing.”

- Steve Vai

Great story! Did anyone see Vinnie playing with Jeff Beck and Tal Wilkenfeld at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary concert. Anyone watching (and listening) would instaneously know why Vinnie is THE first call drummer.

Paul

Hey guys, i have a question. What do you think are some of Vinnies best recordings? I am starting to study him and really only know the zappa and megadeth stuff he did.
Thanks

Back