Vinnie Colaiuta

Hi there,

I have a question for those of you who recognize Vinnie's (and Katchés) playing - who plays on which track on Stings "Brand new day"? Been looking all over the net for info, but haven't found it. Anyone who knows?

All the best,
M

EDIT: Later the same day I found on a Wiki page that he is supposed to play on 3 tracks on "Brand new day" - the question still remains which though...

Last edited:
He is one hell of a drummer...really so much rythmic knowledge...but lately I get disappointed by him...I watched him with Jeff Beck and that was very strange playing...he was playing so complex and unnecessery phrases...Evene Beck himself was so confused during Vinnie's fills...just listen track Stratus!
For me Vinnie's playing is the best on Sting's album...I mean Seven Days, and other tracks are just amazing...I would like to see him again with Sting!

There are some very interesting questions and answers on the Vinnie webpage:

Question: Has yours or Steve Gadd's head ever exploded on stage? - ( - 1/23/2006 )

Answer: Once, I think that my head actually 'imploded' and went through a wormhole and back, BEFORE it even happened in linear time, so thankfully nobody noticed! Whew!

Question: Hello Mr Colaiutta: My wife is pregnant ( I think this is the best gift from god for a couple in love like Maria (my wife) and me) and I make my wife listen great music (karizma - document my favourite included). Do you think it is good for the child? I want him to be a musician because I think music is the most wonderful art. Which age do you think is good for children to get involve in music? Thanks a lot. - (Tito Julio - 5/12/2005 )

Answer: Congratulations! And, amen. Yes, I think it is good for the child to be exposed to great music during pregnancy, and always. I think that exposure to great music and art immediately is a good age. And, I would have he or she tell you whether he or she wants to be a musician. I wouldn't force it, but I certainly would foster it.

Question: This ist more a prophetical question :)
Is it possible to book you for some drumlessons when we are all in heaven? I think in the heaven there will be a drum department, harp playing is not my bussines. - (Beat Kunz - 3/7/2005 )

Answer: :) Maybe then The Lord will give us ALL more lessons!
Bless ya!

Question: How and when did you give your life to the Lord JesusChrist? - (Cristian Borneo - 3/3/2005 )

Answer: Around March 10, 1998. Amen!

Question: My question is very simple, Vinnie: what's on your mind when you are playing? - (Akira Jimbo - 11/3/2000 )

Answer: Not much, if anything. It also depends somewhat on the circumstances - as they are all different, yet similar. The most important elements in playing music are to trust and surrender with developed discernment.

Check out the page: http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/faqs.aspx

And keep 'em comin'.

I found out just recently that Vinnie recorded "The System has Failed" from Megadeth and I'm astounished by his playing. Vinnie may very well be the most versatile drummer out there.

Thumb's up Vinnie !

He is just one of those guys that you just can't argue about. I love his playing, but it depresse me to listen to him. He is just that good.

Don't be depressed, be inspired! I have the Unreal Book and even thought it is totally over my head I was able to pull one phrase out of the Jestson's solo here on drummerworld and incorporated it in my playing. I think of Vinnie's solos as paragraphs. I can't remember and play the entire paragraph but I can pull a word or two out and learn from them. There are only so many Vinnies in a lifetime, remember your friends need you as a drummer, Vinnie is not you competition. Have fun with drums!

Ok ok i admit....
love him with Sting (enormous)
love him with labouriel at backed potatoe
love him in joe's garage (zappa)
love him with pianist randy waldman
love him with chaka khan
but i can't stand him with karizma (dunno why but that is)
T

I can understand that. While I believe Vinnie is a genius on his instrument I also don't enjoy his playing with karizma. To me it is chops for sake of chops, just a personal taste thing. I find his playing with Randy Waldman beautiful. Seems like he taylors his drum sound to the music he is playing. That has always been an issue with me for Gadd. No to critize his playing, just never like the wet sound in a jazz setting but it wasn't an issue for those who hired him so what do I know?

For me he's one of the best, I dunno why i forgot to mention him on earlier posts, but he's amazing. His playing fits perfectly to every song he's played on, no matter the style.

HE MAKES YOU WANNA PLAY THE SONG everytime.... Extremely tasteful. ( except karizma, where he kinda throws everything he knows)-... Great drummer

Originally Posted by DR.WHOO View Post, with minor changes..
Ok ok i admit....
love him with Sting
love him with labouriel at backed potato
love him in joe's garage (zappa)
love him with pianist randy waldman
ok with him on chaka khan
but i absolutely love him with karizma (dunno why but that is)

Last edited:
I got in a bit over my head when I purchased that Unreel book covering his playing.

oops...maybe in 10 years I'll be able to work out of that book.

stu

Me too when you try to understand his time concepts, but still there is a wealth of information to get from the book. I just listen to the CD and when I hear something that makes me grin I find the page in the book and learn the part, even if it is two measures out of sixteen. I don't worry about learning it all, I can't, and even if I did I don't have a place to use it. One of my favorite fills is My Favorite Things 5:55 to about 5:58. It goes by so fast I would have never figured it out on my own. So I'm glad I bought the book and it will keep me busy for the remainder of this life.

Originally Posted by DR.WHOO View Post, with minor changes..
but i absolutely love him with karizma (dunno why but that is)

Because that is the best band that ever came out of L.A. That's why! :) I am a HUGE Karizma/Los Lobotomys and David Garfield fan.

Did you hear "Tune For Tony" from David Garfield's "Giving Back". It features double drumming by Vinnie and Bissonnette. Superb!

Because that is the best band that ever came out of L.A. That's why! :) I am a HUGE Karizma/Los Lobotomys and David Garfield fan.

Did you hear "Tune For Tony" from David Garfield's "Giving Back". It features double drumming by Vinnie and Bissonnette. Superb!

This band absolutely, positively kicks butt!

Its a band that does'nt play safe, goes after the truth, has superb musicianship.

Garfield, Stubenhaus, and omygod, Landau are up to Vinnies beautifully strange and incredibly gifted headspace.......

No, Havent heard Tune for Tony, will check it out......thanks

This band absolutely, positively kicks butt!

Its a band that does'nt play safe, goes after the truth, has superb musicianship.

Garfield, Stubenhaus, and omygod, Landau are up to Vinnies beautifully strange and incredibly gifted headspace.......

No, Havent heard Tune for Tony, will check it out......thanks

Vinnie is also superb on other Garfield releases such as Brandon Fields's "The Other Place". Check out www.creatchy.com for more info.

One of Vinnie's best recordings IMHO is Karizma's "Document". I've seen the band twice on that tour and they were amazing. Stubenhaus is my favourite bass player ever. He is absolutely amazing and deserve much wider recognition. He's without the shadow of a doubt in the same category as Stanley Clarke or Marcus Miller.

Vinnie is also superb on other Garfield releases such as Brandon Fields's "The Other Place". Check out www.creatchy.com for more info.

One of Vinnie's best recordings IMHO is Karizma's "Document". I've seen the band twice on that tour and they were amazing. Stubenhaus is my favourite bass player ever. He is absolutely amazing and deserve much wider recognition. He's without the shadow of a doubt in the same category as Stanley Clarke or Marcus Miller.

Yes, Document is fantastic. Vinnie is one of the few guys-i'd-love-to-see-live, that I have not. Someday, hopefully...

I just knew that Chick Corea is going to start a new project with John McLaughlin next year, and Vinnie will be on drums. Chick referred to that project in the interview with a Japanese Jazz magazine. Here's the musicians;

Chick Corea (p)
John McLaughlin (g)
Christian McBride (b)
Vinnie Colaiuta (ds)

I've searched and can't find a thread for Vinnie. I confess that I don't know as much as I would like about Vinnie but what I've heard is wicked. The guy's very very very good. So I'd like to learn much more about his playing and what not.

I must say that although I wouldn't rate Vinnie as my favorite drummer, I do think he is so far the greatest drummer to have lived on earth. He is just able to do everything with such taste and flare and seem to put his stamp on the stuff he plays without getting in the artists way.
His work on Eric Marienthal's "Upside Down", as someone mentioned previously, is insane. He is all over the place and yet you wouldn't change a note. I woodshed to that tune for a while and gave up. Vinnie is a true master with a bag of tricks for every occasion. He seems to put so much into his playing that at times he looks almost unco, then he rips some impossible fill like he's waved his hands over the kit and the sticks just go where they are supposed to.
The Steve Vai Frank Zappa sushi story tells it all.
The reason he is not my favorite is I guess his playing is hard for me with my ability, (lack of), to identify with, or think of myself ever playing like that. Having said that, I have never heard Vinnie do anything I haven't really liked. While there are a million great drummers out there, and I am not one to think of music as competitive, if Buddy Rich was considered to be the best ever, then I think that status should now be passed on to Vinnie.

Baz

I just remembered something I wanted to respond to a previous post re Vinnie playing on Gino Vannelli's Nightwalker. I love that song and the drumming on it is fantastic. I looked that up ages ago and couldn't find the drumming credit for it. I have the video clip and it has Mark Craney playing, (miming) drums on the clip. If it is Vinnie, it just shows how versatile he is. It is rock solid and the fills are great while still being quite simple.
Did Vinnie definitely play on this song?

Baz

Back