dts one touch tuning system

You also have to understand that you have to start off, before you can even use it, by making sure all of the tension rods are at equal tensions

Well, he says that you have to start out with tension rods finger tight, which isn't to precise, so I'm not really sure what that means. I imagine evenness of tension is only as good as what the tension rods start out with. This thing probably only works within that.

well, there has to be a reason the arbiters didn't take off, either because they didn't work right, or they didn't retrofit current drums, or some unseen reason like, they look goofy to some people, or maybe just bad marketing.

they may have also been expensive to either make or sell, so they were either not making enough profit off of each sale, or no one was buying them beacuse of the high prices.

I ordered all of these direct from Drumtech yesterday... one for each side... Their original suggestion was just to get them for the Bottom heads, and hand tune the top, (or visa versa, I cant remember), I went ahead and bought them for both top and botom for (10",
12",14" and 16" Toms, as well as my snare) cost me $400.... Im starting to gig, however, I will not need to adjust the toms up and down, but I bought them for the ease of just being able to keep the toms in tune with itself... call it lazy i guess, but I can't seem to tune for crap.. I've got torque wrenches, DrumDials, and by ear, and I just cant seem to get the sound that I nkow they are capable of. I've only been playing for 5 years, but I'm told it's a fine art that really takes some time, energy... and to be honest, I'd rather spent more time playing, and less time tuning. I'll let you guys know what the kit is really about... the benefits and some sounds if I can get them out of my garage, if anyone would be interested in hearing....

I did spend a great deal of time talking with Doug there are Drumtech... the way the system works, doesnt really matter how tight you tighten the lugs... they will self adjust, and make the head in tune with itself.. thats the way the system is designed... the only time you'll have to "pre tension" is maybe in the case of my snare, where I really want it to be tightened down, other than that.. All lugs should be finger tight only...

well, there has to be a reason the arbiters didn't take off, either because they didn't work right, or they didn't retrofit current drums, or some unseen reason like, they look goofy to some people, or maybe just bad marketing.

they may have also been expensive to either make or sell, so they were either not making enough profit off of each sale, or no one was buying them beacuse of the high prices.

Arbiters tuning system stayed on the drum, its not a modualr thing like DTS. They got a good review in Modern Drummer Mag (9-98) from Rick Mattingly, then just dissapeared. Someones gotta know something.

Did Guitar Center (US distributor) screw Arbiter over? Patent issues in america? Was Ivor Arbitor the type to say "*uck all! If I can't have it no ones getting it." ?

well, i must say that i hope that somebody comes out with a one lug tuning drum again. i think that the one lug tuning system is an awesome idea. i would like to see drummers start to buy drums with a better tuning apparatus so that drum makers will keep making drums like that. if drummers start to buy their drums the one lug tuning system will take off and then get more and more refined so that the system will just be awesome over time.

I ordered all of these direct from Drumtech yesterday... one for each side... Their original suggestion was just to get them for the Bottom heads, and hand tune the top, (or visa versa, I cant remember), I went ahead and bought them for both top and botom for (10",
12",14" and 16" Toms, as well as my snare) cost me $400.... Im starting to gig, however, I will not need to adjust the toms up and down, but I bought them for the ease of just being able to keep the toms in tune with itself... call it lazy i guess, but I can't seem to tune for crap.. I've got torque wrenches, DrumDials, and by ear, and I just cant seem to get the sound that I nkow they are capable of. I've only been playing for 5 years, but I'm told it's a fine art that really takes some time, energy... and to be honest, I'd rather spent more time playing, and less time tuning. I'll let you guys know what the kit is really about... the benefits and some sounds if I can get them out of my garage, if anyone would be interested in hearing....

I did spend a great deal of time talking with Doug there are Drumtech... the way the system works, doesnt really matter how tight you tighten the lugs... they will self adjust, and make the head in tune with itself.. thats the way the system is designed... the only time you'll have to "pre tension" is maybe in the case of my snare, where I really want it to be tightened down, other than that.. All lugs should be finger tight only...

So I was doing a search for more info on these and I found this post. Now that you have had some time to really test these out, what do you think of them? Would you buy the whole set like this again?

Those Arbiters look better than the DTS system. Too bad they're not around as a retrofit.

The cables on the DTS bother me. They make it look like one of Professor Bullfinch's crazy contraptions. But if it works, and is reliable over time then it's worth it.

Betcha 50 bucks it's not around in 5 years though, even if I do buy it. :)

4 months to go, Jeff.

Just kidding, but I was searching for something else and found this thread. DTS is too short a term for the search function, so I was curious, to see if anyone had tried these.
At first I thought it was a lame idea because if the drum was out of tune when the lugs were finger tight, this would just be like adding equal turns at each lug. But that doesn't seem right. Equal turns at each lug won't give equal tension because the head isn't perfectly centered or symmetrical. This would actually give equal tension at each lug, which seems like what you'd want. It's what a drum dial shoots for after all.
Anyway, it seemed like a cool idea for the reso head on toms.
Thoughts?
Todd

Back