Swearing Fines

BassDriver

Silver Member
Is this not over the top?!

I know there are forum rules about what you can and cannot say and what you can discuss (eg. politics)...but I think this is absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/big-fines-for-those-who-cry-foul-20110530-1fctb.html

What about movies?...they are shown to members of the public and many of them have swear words - I know they have classifications but seriously?!

Are there any police officers that would really fine you for swearing?...cops are people too...

What kind of lawmakers even made this in the first place?

I think there are better things governments could do, like not getting involved in what I have to say (whether it does or does not offend anyone).

Victoria is the nanny state.

I just read about this. I would think the biggest problem would be disturbance of the peace with outrageous shouting at stupid hours - no swearing necessary for that.

I wonder if it will spread up to NSW?

A swearing ban in AUSTRALIA? This will at least triple the state's income :)

Seriously, this is just retarded.

If they enacted this at my Truck Shop alone California would solve their money problems in no time.

I'd like to see them trying to put this in action in the next Ashes series in Aus...

I wonder how they'll define "swearing"? How about bloody? Bum / bottom / poo / wee wee? Turd? Hmm, that would be tricky.

What if someone sidesteps at the last moment and says shi ... vers? Fu ... ar out?

Seriously, this would seem a handy tool for dealing with civil disobedience, which is not good.

I wonder how they'll define "swearing"? How about bloody? Bum / bottom / poo / wee wee? Turd? Hmm, that would be tricky.

What if someone sidesteps at the last moment and says shi ... vers? Fu ... ar out?

Seriously, this would seem a handy tool for dealing with civil disobedience, which is not good.

Here is how it is defined in the UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harassment,_alarm_or_distress

It just says anything that is construed as being "threatening, abusive or insulting" can be used as grounds for arrest. So presumably if you call someone a poo-head then that is probably an offence.

I've heard about the public disorder law in the UK. The more crowded we get, the more the screws tighten ...

Seems like there is no public disorder law in the average town centre! Trevors and Julies roaming at will calling innocent people wee-wee head this and and poo face that....

Seems like there is no public disorder law in the average town centre! Trevors and Julies roaming at will calling innocent people wee-wee head this and and poo face that....

lol ... the worst I experienced was right at home about 10 years ago. An alcoholic living in my block of flats and her junkie b/f had a massive screaming match at 4am on Thursday morning in the driveway right outside my bedroom window. She was kicking him out and they had the volume at 11.

I was about to tell them to STFU (bugger the law) when I heard this exchange:

"A knife! A knife??!! You tried to stab me!! That's not what you do with a knife!!"

Pause. I'm thinking, no, a knife is for cutting vegetables ...

"A knife is for people who deserve it, not for innocent people!!"

At that point I closed the window.

PFOG, with the new law you're well and truly fu ... dged.

lol ... the worst I experienced was right at home about 10 years ago. An alcoholic living in my block of flats and her junkie b/f had a massive screaming match at 4am on Thursday morning in the driveway right outside my bedroom window. She was kicking him out and they had the volume at 11.

I was about to tell them to STFU (bugger the law) when I heard this exchange:

"A knife! A knife??!! You tried to stab me!! That's not what you do with a knife!!"

Pause. I'm thinking, no, a knife is for cutting vegetables ...

"A knife is for people who deserve it, not for innocent people!!"

At that point I closed the window.

PFOG, with the new law you're well and truly fu ... dged.

lol that just reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqghpm4gXf4

Swearing won't help Scotland haha. Everyone swears every three seconds here, even the police.

So the fine should be dropped I think.

They'd make a hell of a lot of money around where I live! It's chav central!

Scotland is bad... Especially the whereabouts of Glasgow.
Edinburghs quiet though, there's loads of goths and emos running around and the police barely patrol. Not to mention there isn't much smog compared to Glasgow.

I'd love to move to Edinburgh or the Highlands, only shipping charges are a rip-off to the Highlands.

If they enacted this at my Truck Shop alone California would solve their money problems in no time.

I was just telling the sisters on the orphanage that they needed to clean it up or else. This might be the way to go. Get rid of the #@%&*ing bake sales.

Back