Gibraltar stealth rack vs normal stands

nitrokid

I am looking at getting a second set of hardware for gigging and i came across these gibraltar stealth rack. I really like the look and idea of them because i want something that could fit into 2 smaller hardware bags but it is a lot of money and i want to know wether any you of you guys have the stealth rack and wether you think it is better than conventional stands. I want it to hold my cymbals, one rack tom and be diverse enough if i wanted to change my kit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I currently use the Stealth rack as well as the side Stealth rack and they work great for my application. I posted on this topic in the following thread.

thanks and nice kit. Does it save any set up time or weight in the hardware bag. If you could go back to normal stands would you?

For my rock set up, I use a regular rack, but for keeping my jazz kit set up exactly the way I want it every time I love it. I only have the snare and tom section though.

thanks and nice kit. Does it save any set up time or weight in the hardware bag. If you could go back to normal stands would you?

I use one on the right side of my kit to hold 2 ride cymbals. a crash, and a cowbell.

I used it in the past with an x-hat plus another crash on it. Back then it made sense to use it instead of seperate stands for everything.

There was a recent thread here somewhere asking a similar question. So, back then I weighed my rack versus how many stands I would use and discovered that I would actually lose about 7 pounds or so in my gig case by going back to individual single braced or flat base stands.

So basically, if you are replacing roughly 4 stands or more with your stealth rack it's probably worth it.

I never really noticed in terms of weight, I got rid of 6 tripods but added two stealth racks so maybe not much weight difference. The rack does fit nicely in one bag and set up is a little quicker with the racks. Add in the MattMarkers and my overall set up is very quick and consistant.
The racks do give a much cleaner look. The drums seem to show better without all the tripods. Personally I'll never go back to regular stands, just my preference.

ok thanks for all the replies. I think i am gong to go for the stealth rack but before i do, what cymbal arms do you guys use with it? and do you just put it in a existing hardware bag or do you use a different one for the rack
Thanks

ok thanks for all the replies. I think i am gong to go for the stealth rack but before i do, what cymbal arms do you guys use with it? and do you just put it in a existing hardware bag or do you use a different one for the rack
Thanks
Good choice. In terms of hardware I use Tama Roadpro booms for my crashes. I have a 24 inch Paiste ride which is heavy so I use a Pearl CH200 for my ride. I have a Gibraltar rack bag and all my hardware goes into the one bag.

when packed down how long is the longest piece because i was wondering wether it would fit in a 28" hardcase

when packed down how long is the longest piece because i was wondering wether it would fit in a 28" hardcase
I have a 32 inch bag with wheels and the stealth bent bar for the dual snare rack is 30 inches, its also my longest piece.

ok thanks guys. I have been researching cymbal arms and none of them seem to be long enough to clamp onto the horizontal bar? What cymbal arms do you guys use

ok thanks guys. I have been researching cymbal arms and none of them seem to be long enough to clamp onto the horizontal bar? What cymbal arms do you guys use

You have a couple of options for getting your crashes "up there", but first off, let's just say that if you like your crashes overhead, the Stealth Rack is going to start you off pretty low to begin with; it might be time to bring the cymbals back down to Earth, so to speak.

(1) Use an extended arm, or maybe one of Gibraltar's ultra-adjust boom arms: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4107813117103484589?q=gibraltar%20ultra-adjust%20boom%20arm&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS472US472&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.cGE&ion=1&biw=1680&bih=882&sa=X&ei=opMnUcL_MIrEiwKBj4CgBw&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAA
KsafKm8ocDm0QBXURJAmWyKA8STRuiIMKpn1FulZwfJN7wtjCD7C6pP69fru4MQFNtGkZkdzMYXn7UrYh-Kwu2EgpVj-qiz4Tqiq61EMHhGPvZYlgzcrfariED2eJUa5pCGUsJ-wHshqoefjBlqwW7W2EnQCdNHlyCqY9KabQu3ACoOLOFSX1cOhHhfNE95Ri-5ilgL5=s220-c

(2) Use a multi-clamp extender post like this one, and then put any old cymbal boom holder in it (almost the same concept as the ultra adjust): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/gibraltar-sc-ea100-extension-arm?src=3WWRWXGP
DV016_Jpg_Large_446037.jpg

(3) (and this is pretty extreme) tear the tripods off one of your now unnecessary cymbal stands and use all three tubes to extend the height to where you want the cymbal. (Very last ditch, extreme, no-going-back method.)

yeah i have my crashes by no means high, probably quite low to some people. Is there just a standard boom arm that will reach for the crashes without any additional extension poles. Like a yamaha CH-755?

I never really noticed in terms of weight, I got rid of 6 tripods but added two stealth racks so maybe not much weight difference. The rack does fit nicely in one bag and set up is a little quicker with the racks. Add in the MattMarkers and my overall set up is very quick and consistant.
The racks do give a much cleaner look. The drums seem to show better without all the tripods. Personally I'll never go back to regular stands, just my preference.

Would a stealth rack work with three toms up? Whenever I research this, the pics I see only show one rack tom used.....

Would a stealth rack work with three toms up? Whenever I research this, the pics I see only show one rack tom used.....

Sure. Put a double tom holder in the front vertical tube of the Stealth that also holds the snare, and a single tom holder on the front vertical tube of the right-side Stealth.

I have to say this looks pretty cool. I hadn't heard of it before reading this thread, but I might have to look into it. Seems like it could be pretty handy for quick setups and tear downs.

Sure. Put a double tom holder in the front vertical tube of the Stealth that also holds the snare, and a single tom holder on the front vertical tube of the right-side Stealth.

Thanks, Al. I think I'm gonna give these a try. It looks like these would be easier to haul as they can collpase down to a short height.

Back