Diffference between oval and round tip performance

HokosPokos

Well, is there a simple truth about it or is it just like the question "tell me the best drum kit"?
I'm trying to find my "new" pair of sticks. I have most of the time played with Wincent 5A with an oval tip and liked them but recently bought some cheap no-brand sticks with round tip and like them too. I'm no pro drummer and doesn't have the best pair of ears so I'm just corious if there is any facts about round versus oval tip.

Sorry if this has been questioned before. Made a brief search about it but couldn't find anything pinpointing it...

Well, one difference is that if you're a heavy hitter, round tips will make salad bowls of your heads in no time flat.

hahahaha, well... one reason to stay away from them then.
I've heard round tips make gives a richer and fuller sound to cymbals. True and if so, why?

The tip shape makes the most difference in feel and sound on your hihats and your ride cymbal. Round tips make a bit 'clickier' sound, in my experience.

I've never found round tips to dent heads any different than acorn or oval tips. Denting heads usually happens when the angle of the stick to drum is too steep. YMMV

I thought I wanted round tips, used them and went back to acorn. Acorn tips, at a wrong angle, will dent the heads in no time flat, round tips have less contact area so they are more likely to dent heads quicker than a correctly laid acorn tip, (acorn tip has more surface area on the head), so they both dent heads. Round tips are clickier, but lack body or something to my ear.

Tip shape definitely has an impact in the sound produced. While I agree it's most heard in the ride cymbal especially, I do notice a difference in drum sound as well, though it is subtle.

The one benefit to the incredible variety offered by stick manufacturers these days is that you can almost always find a stick that has all the variables you like in one stick, be it length, taper, diameter, wood type, or tip.

Generally, I find ball tips to sound brighter and have a focused sound, because there is less tip coming into contact with the cymbal or head, where oval tips produce more midrange and tend to have a fuller sound.

Acorn tips seem to split the difference between those two, and are my preference, followed closely by ball tips. On my cymbals at least I don't really care much for the sound I get from oval tips.

Since you're curious about the differences I highly recommend picking a particular size you like, and find as many models that offer the same or similar specs but different tips. That way you can find out for yourself what kind of tip sounds best for your equipment.

Bright and focused sounds good... but full cymbals sounds good to me too so I guess it's best if I (like Winston says) test all the 5A sticks I can to find my ultimate pair of sticks.

Thanks all!

Btw, what is taper?

Taper is the thinning of the stick as it approaches the tip. Sticks are generally classed as having a short taper (that is, they stay thicker longer) or a more gradual, or "long" taper, but there are a lot of variations of short, long, or in-between from model to model and brand to brand.

Sticks with a short taper will feel more front-heavy and have a more powerful sound, though you lose some finesse, while sticks with a long taper shift the center of balance towards the hand resulting in better rebound but less power.

Back