Steelie's Dare

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I dare you all to do the following:

1. Take a day off from actually drumming. Yes, it's not a definite kind of thing. You can drum a little when you're done following the directions.

2. Break down your kit. Literally. Undo all the hardware, take the cymbals off the stands.

DO NOT DETUNE ANY DRUMS OR FOLD UP HARDWARE

3. Now, set up your throne in an open space. Make sure you have relatively plenty of space around you. You'll need it.

4. Following basic set-up logic, set up your bass drum. It can be either for your right or left foot, and if you're left footed, I encourage you to set up right footed and vice-versa.

5. Set up your snare at a level that is about half an inch higher than the tops of your thighs. No more, no less. However, it does not have to be between your knees. It can anywhere, to your right or left. Experiment.

6. Now set up your ride and hi-hat you've never had them before. Imagine you don't have any needs for anything, just set them up like I told you to. DO IT NOW.

7. Fill in the remaining space with your toms and various other cymbals or percussion. Be sure to liberally space everything and place things in places that you can reach, but are new to you. Be creative, guys.

Now play! Experiment with these previous positionings until you have a more (relatively)comfortable set-up in this new form.

Have fun guys!

i did just that about 20 times over the past 3 or 4 weeks....

and still not satisfied with the set up.......

I do this sort of thing every so often when I have some free time. Its interesting to see what happens & I am always amazed with the things my left hand plays. Its usually quite outside the box for me.

I just reset my kit from a 4 piece with no rack back up to it's 6 piece with rack status. It was way too much work to do it just for fun.

Back