tama royalstar?

AveyTare

hello

anybody heard something about them? I've got an opportunity to buy them. are they worth the money? if yes, what about the price? how do they sound compared to starclassics? or they aren't even in the same league?

I will be glad for any input.

the Royalstars are vintage kits circa 1970s-early 1980s with 6 ply mahoganny shells + 2 ply shina. they are cool kits (as and vintage kit in good condition is), but they are not in the same league as modern Starclassic series' (birch, maple, or bubinga if you really want to drop some money)

so... what are they like? any examples of similar drums nowadays?

Look in a Guitar Center catalog or any on line shop. The cheaper side of under $1K. These Tama's are pretty rare because they were basically looked at as disposable drums. People spray painted them, thrashed them on stage, lit them on fire. If you can slip into a kit for $300 and it's in good shape, it's at least better than anything you can get new for $300. But don't pay $800 for them. You could pick up a used Pro level 3 piece for that kinda scratch.

thanks

I think I won't get them. hardware is a crap and buying new would make that kit REALLY expensive <welocem to Poland :/ >

thanks

I think I won't get them. hardware is a crap and buying new would make that kit REALLY expensive <welocem to Poland :/ >

Whoah WAIT... The Tama Royalstar kits may be vintage. But actually in a league a bit higher than that of the whole Rockstar line. They're similar in shell construction and tone. But with Shia and Mahogany they have the vintage BOOM of the old Imperialstars. I have an Artstar2, newer Rockstar Custom kit and a late 70's Royalstar kit. The Royalstar records the best out of all of them and is just a boomy, rumbly kit. It's awesome. an average shape R.S. should run you 4 to 600.00. But again as all instruments go it's a matter of preference. Hope this helps anyone.

Vaaga

Last edited:
Whoah WAIT... The Tama Royalstar kits may be vintage. But actually in a league a bit higher than that of the whole Rockstar line. They're similar in shell construction and tone. But with Shia and Mahogany they have the vintage BOOM of the old Imperialstars. I have an Artstar2, newer Rockstar Custom kit and a late 70's Royalstar kit. The Royalstar records the best out of all of them and is just a boomy, rumbly kit. It's awesome. an average shape R.S. should run you 4 to 600.00. But again as all instruments go it's a matter of preference. Hope this helps anyone.

Vaaga

that was ages ago and i believe i've made a good choice by getting mapex pro m fusion instead.

Last edited:
the one i was able to purchase was more than twenty years old i believe.

Yeah it's a shame tama doesn't really put out anything good these days. Like the first great thing they put out, was the Royalstar line. Mine is easily from like circa 78 the first run of them. It was a monster, until the Artstars came out. The starclassics I think are a lot of hype. My artstar 2s have gotten compliments from seasoned soundmen saying the recordability is far greater than that of the starclassics.

I know this is an old thread, but there's a deal on Craigslist that includes a Tama Royalstar kit, brand new heads, a double bass pedal, Paiste 200 hi-hats, and a seemingly vintage Sabian ride, all for $100, hardware included. Should I jump?

I know this is an old thread, but there's a deal on Craigslist that includes a Tama Royalstar kit, brand new heads, a double bass pedal, Paiste 200 hi-hats, and a seemingly vintage Sabian ride, all for $100, hardware included. Should I jump?

Well, you know what we have told you about impulsive gear buying.

But you could jump and sell it for more money, I think.

Well, you know what we have told you about impulsive gear buying.

But you could jump and sell it for more money, I think.

That's exactly why I'm asking the forum first. It seems like a great deal, but I don't know much about the gear.

It's a Tama Royalstar, like I already said. All the ride says is Sabian, so it is definetely vintage. The double bass pedal is a Camco by Tama, and the Hihats are Paiste 200. It also includes a brand new snare stand, which alone costs 40 bucks.

1261g41473k13o13l68bnadffa060f7d01824.jpg

DSCF1080.jpg

DSCF1081.jpg

DSCF1084.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

I'd jump on that deal for the snare stand and especially the pedal; I've got a single Tama Camco pedal w/footplate (basically the left side of that one with the beater attached to it), and in 20 years I've never had any trouble with it. Still rockin' it. Hell, I've never even adjusted the thing- I like my pedals pretty tight and this one doesn't even lose tension in the spring. Awesome. Jump on that deal!

I'd jump on that deal for the snare stand and especially the pedal; I've got a single Tama Camco pedal w/footplate (basically the left side of that one with the beater attached to it), and in 20 years I've never had any trouble with it. Still rockin' it. Hell, I've never even adjusted the thing- I like my pedals pretty tight and this one doesn't even lose tension in the spring. Awesome. Jump on that deal!

Yeah, I think I will. Is the pedal valuable? I'm probably gonna re-sell most of it, unless I really like the drums. I'm also trying to see if he'll go down to $75.

Update: He'll do $75. But I'm consulting here first: Is it completely worth it? He might lower the price even more if I buy them today.

bro, if you can ship to the UK, i'll buy the pedal!

However, don't get too excited about the ride... seriously i've seen B8's that have been (ab)used so much, the ink has just worn off.

Back